PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Order

Calvin Marks
09-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Does anyone know what the "best" quality bridges are?

I've heard that Chevalets Despiau make very good quality bridges but their site says they only offer Grade C (Student) quality bridges for Double Bass. Pity!

Does anyone know where one could order a nice bridge? My current bridge measures 158cm, but is there any specific science to knowing which size is best for your instrument?

I don't want adjusters BTW.

Thank you kindly.

Ken Smith
09-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know what the "best" quality bridges are?

I've heard that Chevalets Despiau make very good quality bridges but their site says they only offer Grade C (Student) quality bridges for Double Bass. Pity!

Does anyone know where one could order a nice bridge? My current bridge measures 158cm, but is there any specific science to knowing which size is best for your instrument?

I don't want adjusters BTW.

Thank you kindly.

158 what? You mean 158mm, right? Unless you are walking across this bridge!:eek:

Calvin Marks
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
158 what? You mean 158mm, right? Unless you are walking across this bridge!:eek:

mm's sorry.

Thomas Wolf
09-03-2010, 09:19 PM
One can get the Despiau bridges in all qualities. Many shops use the "B" level, two trees, because often there is very little if any difference from the "A" grade. You want the Three Trees "A"grade, I'll sell it it you but it will cost. The "C" grades are usually very good, but occasionally you get a dog.
Tom

Mike Mandelas
09-06-2010, 02:10 AM
From **** you can get excellent bridges in affordable prices. I'd recommend the Teller bridges, in superb quality. **** offers them in many sizes, so it's not a problem to find which one serves you best. Good luck.
Mike

Mike Mandelas
09-06-2010, 02:11 AM
PM me for details.

Ken Smith
09-06-2010, 04:23 AM
From **** you can get excellent bridges in affordable prices. I'd recommend the Teller bridges, in superb quality. **** offers them in many sizes, so it's not a problem to find which one serves you best. Good luck.
Mike

What's with the ********? Big secret?

Calvin Marks
09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Mike

I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry.

Anselm Hauke
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
**** ???
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/page/homepage/detail.jsf?lang=en

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/category/dickcatalog/Stege-2703_2077/detail.jsf

ken, it´s your forum, ask mike about the **** thing...:-)

Ken Smith
09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
**** ???
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/page/homepage/detail.jsf?lang=en

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/category/dickcatalog/Stege-2703_2077/detail.jsf

ken, it´s your forum, ask mike about the **** thing...:-)

**** means **** company that makes Bridges?

Ken Smith
09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
**** means **** company that makes Bridges?

I see.. yes.. It's a name that ='s a word that might mean something else.

Who was the 'marketing genius' that named that company?

And Calvin, all this for a Bridge? Why not just take the bass to a good shop and get a bridge made? What was wrong with the old bridge? This was the new bass you had made for you? Maybe that maker can send you or sell you a bridge blank. Have you asked him?

Thomas Erickson
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I see.. yes.. It's a name that ='s a word that might mean something else.

Who was the 'marketing genius' that named that company?

Probably the guy who gave his company the family name, kind of like someone else we know. :D

Calvin Marks
09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Thank you kindly for the information.

Mike Mandelas
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Sounds funny but Ken's server doesn't allow the German company's name, known with the D,I,C,K letters to appear on screen and puts these ***** instead of it. This company represents an excellent source for materials in Europe and worldwide. If a buyer can provide them with a VAT number valid in EU, the buyer gains dealer status and doesn't pay the German VAT in his order.
So, no secret at all, only a less than clever naming of a very good and reputable company!
Mike

Mike Mandelas
09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Needless to say that Anselm has already provided the proper web address of the above mentioned company. In Germany it's very well known!
Mike

Calvin Marks
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Ahh, it must be that there is a swear filter on this server.

Ken Smith
09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Sounds funny but Ken's server doesn't allow the German company's name, known with the D,I,C,K letters to appear on screen and puts these ***** instead of it. This company represents an excellent source for materials in Europe and worldwide. If a buyer can provide them with a VAT number valid in EU, the buyer gains dealer status and doesn't pay the German VAT in his order.
So, no secret at all, only a less than clever naming of a very good and reputable company!
Mike

All this trouble to buy a single Bridge?:confused:

What ever happened to going to a professional bass Luthier and letting him just do it with Bridges he has in stock and acclimated. Why be responsible for things you don't know the in's and out's of? I think the do-it-your-self intention might end up just getting into deeper trouble. It's just a Bridge, not some special rocket fuel!

Gee, I spent less time and trouble shopping for a house!:p

Calvin Marks
09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
No trouble at all. Simple thread. Just asked where one can buy a bridge from since the luther shops I've been to only have grade C bridges. I have a guy who can fit the bridge and I know what size I need. Easy. Done. No fuss.

Thanks to all for the knowledgeable responses.