PDA

View Full Version : New member from Washington, DC

Bill Collier
09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I have been a lurker on Ken's Corner for a while and decided to register. I play the double bass with German bow and know very little about bass guitars. My first experience with the double bass was in school. After a 30 year gap I started the bass again by taking lessons from a local teacher and played in the Levine School Junior String Orchestra. It was hard to keep up with those kids. Currently, I mostly practice on my own working on excerpts and solos. Someday I hope to have a schedule that allows playing with an ensemble again.

Ken Smith
09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I have been a lurker on Ken's Corner for a while and decided to register. I play the double bass with German bow and know very little about bass guitars. My first experience with the double bass was in school. After a 30 year gap I started the bass again by taking lessons from a local teacher and played in the Levine School Junior String Orchestra. It was hard to keep up with those kids. Currently, I mostly practice on my own working on excerpts and solos. Someday I hope to have a schedule that allows playing with an ensemble again.

If you can, stay with that Orchestra until you can keep up with those kids..lol

Then, move up or across (which ever the case may be) to a community Orchestra and play with adults.

Just working at home on excerpts wont move you forward as well. You need to keep playing out as well.