PDA

View Full Version : Opening Night at the Phil Orch

Ben Rose
09-24-2010, 10:34 AM
My wife and I attended the Phil Orch's season opening last night. The final piece was Respighi's Pines of Rome and the sound coming out of the bass section was incredible. Between 8 basses, brass, and the organ, my chair was vibrating, but the sound was still well balanced and bright. It was a very dramatic and emotional experience.

Two thumbs up for a brilliant performance! They truly are a world class orchestra and a treasure that everyone in the Philadelphia area should take advantage of.

Ken Smith
09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
My wife and I attended the Phil Orch's season opening last night. The final piece was Respighi's Pines of Rome and the sound coming out of the bass section was incredible. Between 8 basses, brass, and the organ, my chair was vibrating, but the sound was still well balanced and bright. It was a very dramatic and emotional experience.

Two thumbs up for a brilliant performance! They truly are a world class orchestra and a treasure that everyone in the Philadelphia area should take advantage of.

I remember playing that about 7-8 years ago locally but with only 4 basses, all 4s, no extensions. My left hand was aching during the rehearsals as I was doing the Pizz part (the part is divided).. B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B.. For hours on end it seemed.. The Concert was easier, no stopping and repeating, just straight through. A bassoon player comes up to me at the end and said 'the bass sounded good!:)". I replied, "just me or the section?:confused:".. she looked and didn't answer..?? Well, it's better than nothing I guess;).. lol

Ben Rose
09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I remember playing that about 7-8 years ago locally but with only 4 basses, all 4s, no extensions. My left hand was aching during the rehearsals as I was doing the Pizz part (the part is divided).. B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B.. For hours on end it seemed..

I can see how that would make for a long rehearsal. :eek:

Ken Smith
09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I can see how that would make for a long rehearsal. :eek:

It wasn't so hard at the Concert at all but with the stops for the brass every 3-5 minutes it was killing me. I actually cramped up several times that week, my left wrist.