PDA

View Full Version : Bass activities at VSA Convention

Jay VandeKopple
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I've been working with the Program Committee for the upcoming November VSA Convention (Nov. 7 - 12, 2010) in Cleveland, OH. We've got a number of bass activities planned and I wanted to let you know. I think you'll find it quite interesting.

Robbie McIntosh will talk about "Re-arching a Bass Top" on Monday, 3:30 - 4:15.

Jim Ham, David Gage, and I will give a "Report on the First VSA/Oberlin Bass Workshop" on Tuesday, 1:30 - 2:15.

Then we'll have a Bass Forum on Tuesday, 3:30 - 4:30. Several bass luthiers will give a show-and-tell about jigs, tools, and techniques.

David Gage will have a talk on "Contemporary Setup for String Bass" on Wednesday, 2:45 - 3:30.

And we'll end up the week with two talks about bass design:

Arnold Schnitzer is called "Up from the Depths," and he'll talk about double bass design considerations for modern-day playing. This is on Friday, 2:30 - 3:15.

Jim Ham will follow this with his talk on "The Lighter Side of Ergonomics" on Friday 3:15 - 4:30.

I think we've got some great talks that you won't want to miss.

In addition, we've let all the vendors know that we're planning on more bass activity this year. I expect that will result in more bass products available. I think you'll find that worthwhile as well.

This is also a competition year, so I'm looking forward to entries by our fellow luthiers.

Hope to see you in November. Please come and support your fellow bass luthiers. Registration information is available on the VSA website (www.vsa.to (http://www.vsa.to)).

Take care,
Jay

Ken Smith
09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Although I wont be there, I will be in a way I think. Robbie just re-shaped an old Italian Bass of mine (still on his bench) and an old English bass a few years ago. I am sure some of what he will talk about will include indirectly some of the work he's done on my instruments. His work is great!

Arnold as well will talk about Basses of which we have discussed referring to my 4/4 Panormo school bass. Perhaps my old Cornerless he's working on might get a mention. That bass has the most unusual internal construction as well as past repair that one can imagine. I am sure if I were there in person I might be asked to sit in the back and be quiet.. lol

Nice to see you here Jay. Please be our eyes and ears at the show. The one and only VSA I attended was a few years ago here in PA. I brought my Dodd and Gilkes to that show but it was mostly Violin stuff.

Jay VandeKopple
09-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks, Ken. Yes, I think we've got a nice program of bass stuff started with the VSA. And they're quite encouraging of including more in the future. Hopefully, the Conventions will be a great place for bass luthiers to congregate.

As you say, things were mostly violin in the past, but we've got an opportunity to share more with each other. Could be quite interesting.