PDA

View Full Version : Smith Bass = Status Symbol?

Desmund Nichols
03-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Would you say that owning a Smith bass symbolizes status? Like how rich people have the cars and yachts, and how recording artist sell platinum records. Would you say that owning a Smith bass symbolizes a status level? Like you are good enough to have a bass of quality or that you are good enough and you can afford a high priced instrument? How would you look at it?

Bob Faulkner
03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
I would say it's more along the lines of having quality instruments for quality bassists.

Most people don't have a clue what a Smith bass is and they usually freak out when I tell them the price tag on mine. They are used to seeing $250 Squiers and tend to think every "guitar-style" instrument is at or near that.

I'm not rich by any stretch. I simply have a substantial portion of my life invested in playing bass. As such I feel I should have a quality instrument to play and express myself with.

You start on a pos instrument usually. Once you're committed to it and have gained sufficient skill, most people would tend to gravitate more toward higher quality instruments. I want an instrument to faithfully produce what I play, and not fight me while I'm playing it. Every lower end bass I've tried tends to fight me a bit. My Smith is almost effortless.

Steve_M
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
The way I look at it is that if someone WANTED a status symbol type bass, they'd be better off looking elsewhere. That doesn't seem to me to be what a Smith bass is about.

Its more about well considered and functional design mated with superb craftsmanship. I've yet to see a Smith bass with anything as frivilous as inlays, LED's or custom body shapes (apart from Stanley Clarkes Flying V that is...).

The other great thing about Smiths is that they don't seem change significantly year to year and there aren't massive changes in product lines. So I haven't ever felt like my basses have become outdated.

Desmund Nichols
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I totally agree. I started off on a little beginner bass packed and God saw fit to elevate me throughout the years to better basses and now I have a Smith. But in a way it is a status symbol because when other bass players ask me what bass I play, and I tell them about my Smith, they automatically assume that I play on that world class level. It is a little ego thing too when i say I have a Smith. I am proud that I own one. You are correct though when you said Smiths arent made for status, but for craftmanship and sound. I bought my Smith because of the sound, the designs, and the clarity. Every note is perfectly even. There are no dead notes on my bass. And that is something that I have been trying to get through all my basses before that.

Tim Bishop
03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
If you are looking at an instrument as a "status symbol", then most likely your playing skill-set probably doesn't match the potential behind the instrument's intended design. On the other hand, a top notch bass like a Smith can promote, encourage, or inspire one to reach and be the best they can be!

Simply put, a Smith bass is a high quality instrument and IMO, second to none. In the hands of a seasoned/skillful player it becomes an extension of the talent behind it.

I did not buy a Smith because of "The Name". I bought a Smith based on the feel, quality craftsmanship, and sound. That's it, nothing more. There just happened to be an S on the peg-head. Thank you Ken!

When I was a child, I tended to define my "self-worth" by hiding behind "status symbols". As an adult, I have put childish things behind me and the last thing I would do to myself today is allow "status symbols" to define who I am as a musician or person.

Desmund Nichols
03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I bought mine because it seemed perfect. Perfect feel, perfect sound, perfect look. I truly think it would be hard for me to ever own another brand of bass.

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Good reason to buy and I couldn't agree more.

Albert Smith
03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
If you are looking at an instrument as a "status symbol", then most likely your playing skill-set probably doesn't match the potential behind the instrument's intended design. On the other hand, a top notch bass like a Smith can promote, encourage, or inspire one to reach and be the best they can be!

Simply put, a Smith bass is a high quality instrument and IMO, second to none. In the hands of a seasoned/skillful player it becomes an extension of the talent behind it.

I did not buy a Smith because of "The Name". I bought a Smith based on the feel, quality craftsmanship, and sound. That's it, nothing more. There just happened to be an S on the peg-head. Thank you Ken!

When I was a child, I tended to define my "self-worth" by hiding behind "status symbols". As an adult, I have put childish things behind me and the last thing I would do to myself today is allow "status symbols" to define who I am as a musician or person.

Tim as always your on point, but with one exception to the issue, "Smith" basses are looked upon as a status symbol of excellence in craftmanship by those who don't own them, but to players such as myself, I simply love the tone. Bass players that come to my place of worship begin to salavate when ever I bring out my WBT 5EG or my Tiger Wood 4, but to me it's all about the feel. Each bass player is in search for that axe that brings forth the sound that they hear within them. For me that's "Smith" (Though I must admit I love the look on their faces when they see my "Smith") Either way you look at it, intentional or not, the "Smith" Bass name carries an assumption upon the individual who plays it.:cool:

Tim Bishop
03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Tim as always your on point, but with one exception to the issue, "Smith" basses are looked upon as a status symbol of excellence in craftmanship by those who don't own them, but to players such as myself, I simply love the tone. Bass players that come to my place of worship begin to salavate when ever I bring out my WBT 5EG or my Tiger Wood 4, but to me it's all about the feel. Each bass player is in search for that axe that brings forth the sound that they hear within them. For me that's "Smith" (Though I must admit I love the look on their faces when they see my "Smith") Either way you look at it, intentional or not, the "Smith" Bass name carries an assumption upon the individual who plays it.:cool:

There's no argument about the "excellence in craftmanship", sound, feel or anything else as such related to a Smith bass. The point I was attempting to make was that of "status symbol" as conveyed in the initial start-up thread. Given that, I would invite all those that have or haven't read my response above to visit or revisit it.

As far as "assumptions made on the individual who plays it", well, we all know what happens when we assume....: )

Albert Smith
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
There's no argument about the "excellence in craftmanship", sound, feel or anything else as such related to a Smith bass. The point I was attempting to make was that of "status symbol" as conveyed in the initial start-up thread. Given that, I would invite all those that have or haven't read my response above to visit or revisit it.

No doubt, No doubt without question big brother Tim I gottcha, I understood your intent and concede to your original point.;)

Tim Bishop
03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
No doubt, No doubt without question big brother Tim I gottcha, I understood your intent and concede to your original point.;)

Great! Just wanted to be clear with those that weren't.

BobWankowski
04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Form truly follows function for me and I say that having played and owned most of the "Status Symbol" basses since 1977. (Including 6 high end Alembics, 5 of which had neck problems.)

The Smith's sound right, play as if they were made for me and are expertly crafted and built to last. In my opinion they are a bargain the way they are priced as many of the "Status Symbol" basses cost easily twice as much.

I'd play the Smith's even if they were ugly. (Though I'm not unhappy they are not. ;))

Dennis Michaels
06-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I think Smith's are perfect basses. I play them exclusively because they are perfect basses. To me Smith basses (as well as my Eden rigs) only prove to any one that I will only accept perfect tone. Beyond that there are other basses that would be more fitting status symbols. This is just my opinion for whatever it's worth. Are they dream machines...indeed they are.

Albert Smith
07-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Ken, I totally understand without question why you choose not to attend NAMM, But what about Bass Day in NY this year? I was there last year for Bass Day 06 and really had a great time. The only thing I really missed seeing is a rep from Smith Basses. I spoke candidly with Micheal Tobias, as well as Mr. Fodera. Would you consider coming back to the Big Apple or sending someone from the Smith crew to exhibit and speak on the Smith Bass philosophy. There are a ton of Smith Bass fanatics here in the city that really want to own a Smith but haven't been able to afford them yet.
:)

Ken Smith
07-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Ken, I totally understand without question why you choose not to attend NAMM, But what about Bass Day in NY this year? I was there last year for Bass Day 06 and really had a great time. The only thing I really missed seeing is a rep from Smith Basses. I spoke candidly with Micheal Tobias, as well as Mr. Fodera. Would you consider coming back to the Big Apple or sending someone from the Smith crew to exhibit and speak on the Smith Bass philosophy. There are a ton of Smith Bass fanatics here in the city that really want to own a Smith but haven't been able to afford them yet.
:)

Bass Player Magazine runs that and I will not give them my money. I talk with NY players all the time and many come to visit. I am here on line almost every day and at the shop as well daily. I need to be in the shop getting things done and not at shows that take me away from my work or drain me mentally and physically. The other guys in the biz do what they need to do and so do I.

I did shows from 1979 to 2006 and missed only a few between those years. Shows for me today are not what they used to be. It is mainly a money maker for the Show promoters. They could care less if the exhibitors do well and often get in the way of doing business at the show. Don't get me started on that ramble, I don't have the breaks to stop!..lol

I will be glad to meet anyone in person, on the phone or on line daily. That's more than most others offer. Seeing only what one wants you to see at a Show is not the same as seeing what goes on day to day without any 'visitor prep'! You can hide a lot at a show picking only the best examples for the Booth. Walking into my set-up room and personal bench area one can see everything we have without hiding anything.

We ask that people call for an appointment so we can be available but I can't tell you how many times people just walk in unannounced and still get a Tour (If Bass related) being that they were just in the area and didn't know to call in advance. We have nothing to hide as far as our woods, wood operations, work space, Basses in progress or finished Basses. I even often pull out a Double Bass or two and play for the guests so they can see and hear a Bass that the Queen or even Beethoven may have heard 150 years ago (they just have to suffer and sit thru my playing...lol)

Can't bring that act to a show, can you now?

Also, the shows have some rules that limit what we can do. At my place, I OWN the building AND Parking Lot. FREE Parking to all visitors and plenty of good fresh Pennsylvania foods to eat nearby when your tummy calls out. It's a trip worth taking if you are the least bit serious about any aspect of the Bass at all.

Neither Tobias, Fodera or any of the other makers out there (as far as I know) made their living playing Bass (BG and DB) in NY as a top call player for any and all styles. I even did better financially then my teachers in the NY Phil as far as total earned income most good years not to mention the diversity of gigs I got to do. Can you talk 'real Bass' with any of these builder at the show or just 'file and chisel' talk? Some can't even do that because they BUY their necks and bodies and just assemble them. Many can't discuss the properties, pros and cons of lumber drying, rough lumber and waste as they usually only buy small pieces ready for cutting and trimming. While shopping for Maple Lumber awhile back one supplier (when asked for 4ft billets as a minimum because they only sold up to 2ft pieces) told me that NO ONE buys Lumber anymore for figured Maple and everyone buys pieces as needed (for the most part) and that I was the only one still buying Lumber, drying it, and cutting my own billets (as if I was doing something wrong).

If you go the the Show in NY, enjoy yourself but look over your shoulder every few seconds and keep checking for your wallet. I will be in PA getting some stuff done unless BP wants to PAY me for my appearance there and Limo me back and forth as well as feed me and cover all expenses including exhibit costs etc.

I know how this may sound to some of you but I do take my work seriously and have lost count of how many Shows I have done. I am just tired of the 'dog and pony' Hollywood attitudes you see even when meeting some of the other industry people. Talk is cheap and I have heard more than my ears can take..

Did someone say that 'Word'? (Namm? whispers it)..

What was the question again?:confused:

Albert Smith
07-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Bass Player Magazine runs that and I will not give them my money. I talk with NY players all the time and many come to visit. I am here on line almost every day and at the shop as well daily. I need to be in the shop getting things done and not at shows that take me away from my work or drain me mentally and physically. The other guys in the biz do what they need to do and so do I.

I did shows from 1979 to 2006 and missed only a few between those years. Shows for me today are not what they used to be. It is mainly a money maker for the Show promoters. They could care less if the exhibitors do well and often get in the way of doing business at the show. Don't get me started on that ramble, I don't have the breaks to stop!..lol

I will be glad to meet anyone in person, on the phone or on line daily. That's more than most others offer. Seeing only what one wants you to see at a Show is not the same as seeing what goes on day to day without any 'visitor prep'! You can hide a lot at a show picking only the best examples for the Booth. Walking into my set-up room and personal bench area one can see everything we have without hiding anything.

We ask that people call for an appointment so we can be available but I can't tell you how many times people just walk in unannounced and still get a Tour (If Bass related) being that they were just in the area and didn't know to call in advance. We have nothing to hide as far as our woods, wood operations, work space, Basses in progress or finished Basses. I even often pull out a Double Bass or two and play for the guests so they can see and hear a Bass that the Queen or even Beethoven may have heard 150 years ago (they just have to suffer and sit thru my playing...lol)

Can't bring that act to a show, can you now?

Also, the shows have some rules that limit what we can do. At my place, I OWN the building AND Parking Lot. FREE Parking to all visitors and plenty of good fresh Pennsylvania foods to eat nearby when your tummy calls out. It's a trip worth taking if you are the least bit serious about any aspect of the Bass at all.

Neither Tobias, Fodera or any of the other makers out there (as far as I know) made their living playing Bass (BG and DB) in NY as a top call player for any and all styles. I even did better financially then my teachers in the NY Phil as far as total earned income most good years not to mention the diversity of gigs I got to do. Can you talk 'real Bass' with any of these builder at the show or just 'file and chisel' talk? Some can't even do that because they BUY their necks and bodies and just assemble them. Many can't discuss the properties, pros and cons of lumber drying, rough lumber and waste as they usually only buy small pieces ready for cutting and trimming. While shopping for Maple Lumber awhile back one supplier (when asked for 4ft billets as a minimum because they only sold up to 2ft pieces) told me that NO ONE buys Lumber anymore for figured Maple and everyone buys pieces as needed (for the most part) and that I was the only one still buying Lumber, drying it, and cutting my own billets (as if I was doing something wrong).

If you go the the Show in NY, enjoy yourself but look over your shoulder every few seconds and keep checking for your wallet. I will be in PA getting some stuff done unless BP wants to PAY me for my appearance there and Limo me back and forth as well as feed me and cover all expenses including exhibit costs etc.

I know how this may sound to some of you but I do take my work seriously and have lost count of how many Shows I have done. I am just tired of the 'dog and pony' Hollywood attitudes you see even when meeting some of the other industry people. Talk is cheap and I have heard more than my ears can take..

Did someone say that 'Word'? (Namm? whispers it)..

What was the question again?:confused:

Spoken like the true Master you are!!:rolleyes:

Dennis Michaels
07-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Well Ken, that's why your basses are the bomb...it was designed by a real player and are built by real players.

Gilbert Zarate
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
To some extent I would say yes it is. Not saying that that's why one would buy one, although someone certainly could if they felt the need to feel above others from a financial standpoint. The reality is though, to attain a Smith you have to be able to afford it, whether its by saving for years every nickel and dime you earn until you have enough to purchase it or whether you have the cash to buy it out right a Smith has a certain price point. That price point is seen by others as sort of a statement. "hey i can afford this bass" or "hey i'm good enough to play this bass", whether true or not perception is 100% reality to some people.

All that said, I love my Smith and I certainly feel proud to play it too! ;)

Desmund Nichols
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I agree, that's the point I was trying to make. Its a status symbol because it shows you can afford it, and/or you are good enough to play one.