PDA

View Full Version : The finish sound impact on a fretless Smith

Anton Hasias
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi All,

I would like to have your opinions concerning the sound impact of a satin (Dutch Varnish) or high gloss finish on your Smith fretless bass.
I know the Smith fretless basses sound very good with both kind of finishes but I would like to know rather how do you feel it.
Of course, in no way I would like to create a debate like which finish is the best.

Thank you and best regards

Tim Bishop
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll take an oil finish any day. Mainly because I LOVE the feel, but I also think the wood breathes better and produces a more natural vibration and sound. My 5GN Fretless Bubinga w/Tiger Maple Core is the best sounding fretless I have ever played or heard.

Mike McCall
10-19-2010, 10:38 PM
I would agree with Tim. One of my 3 current basses is Black Tiger Fretted Oil Finish and with flat wounds. I use these in the jazz groups I play in very warm sound.

Tim Bishop
10-19-2010, 10:55 PM
I would agree with Tim. One of my 3 current basses is Black Tiger Fretted Oil Finish and with flat wounds. I use these in the jazz groups I play in very warm sound.

Hey Mike. I have a 5TN as well. I had specifically ordered both the 5TN (5pc Body:X-Grade Crotch Walnut Top, Tiger Maple Core and Cherry Laminate) Fretted and 5GN (Bubinga Top and Back, Tiger Maple Core) Fretless, at the same time. Both are oil finishes and both are my favorite. :)

Bob Faulkner
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
My BSR4EG fretless is laquer finished, and will growl your face off.. I prefer the laquer finish because of the feel. If it affects the sound, I can't tell because it's just buttery awesome goodness.

Anton Hasias
10-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, for me the satin finish has a more organic "closer to the heart" kind of sound and feeling.
This is why I ordered my next 7/7 25th Fusion5 fretless with a satin finish over Bubinga T/B and Mahogany core.
I had just a hint of what the bass will be (thanks Ken!) and I am full excited and absolutely out of patience until Christmas.

Best regards

Ken Smith
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Well, for me the satin finish has a more organic "closer to the heart" kind of sound and feeling.
This is why I ordered my next 7/7 25th Fusion5 fretless with a satin finish over Bubinga T/B and Mahogany core.
I had just a hint of what the bass will be (thanks Ken!) and I am full excited and absolutely out of patience until Christmas.

Best regards

The maple lines are being glued into the fingerboard slots as we speak.. This bass will come before x-mas as far as I can tell for now.

Tim Bishop
10-20-2010, 02:44 PM
....satin finish over Bubinga T/B and Mahogany core....
Best regardsBubinga? I thought that wood was not available/discontinued. No? :confused:

Ken Smith
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Bubinga? I thought that wood was not available/discontinued. No? :confused:

Yes, ah, no, ah.. yes.. When we get down to a piece or two of a species that has currently low demand, I pull it from the list instead of buying more that will sit for a decade or two.

In Tops, I sell way more Ebony and Cocobolo than I ever did Bubinga. In the old days when I first had figured Shedua, it too sold way more than Bubinga. Not that I have a good load of Shedua, mostly figured, we are using it in place of Bubinga in necks and offering it in its place for Tops as well.