PDA

View Full Version : my puglisi

davidseidel
03-08-2007, 05:16 AM
I thought you guys may be interested in this maker, Benedict Puglisi from Melbourne Australia who has made several basses, most of which are now scattered around the world in the hands of orchestral or jazz players. This one I have was one of 5 that he finished as a group in 2002. They toured as a section for an orchestra from Stuttgart before being available for sale so they had a little playing in by then. I had the first choice of them and found this one easy to play, very even and nice mellow tone arco or pizz unlike a new bass generally sounds. Also loud enough to play acoustically which is important to me. Interesting enough 3 were of the same design except that the depth of ribs was larger on the other 2 yet this one had easily the bigger sound.
Swell back is aged maple from Bavarian Alps, ribs matching and scroll plainer maple from same place. Top wide grained spruce in 2 pieces. Fingerboard and tailpiece matching A grade ebony from India. Royle tuners - unique to Puglisi I believe.

Measurements Upper bouts 53.2 cm Middle 36.7 lower 69.5
Body length 112 cm Fingerboard 88.2 String 106.5
Ribs lower 19cm to 15.7 upper
Oil varnish

Pics of some of his other basses @ http://www.benedictgpuglisi.com/

Arnold Schnitzer
03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
That's a nice-looking bass, David. Looks like it is modeled after the French basses of the late 1800's. Wow, those are long f-holes. Could you measure their length for us? Also, are those tuners available to makers in the northern hemisphere?

davidseidel
03-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Arnold - the ffs are approx 25cm. Re the tuners I am not sure - I think Ben designed them and they are made by a guy in Melbourne. I will ask him, but I know originally he was only using them for his own basses. They work really well IMHO. The only problem I have had with the bass is wearing down the varnish as you can see! Otherwise very stable and playable. It has been my main gigging bass since it ws new. Cheers