PDA

View Full Version : On the click, off the click.

Terry McDougal
11-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I've been practising regularly with my metronome. Someone told me quite a few years ago that it was good to practise with the metronome clicks on 2 and 4. I've practised this way ever since. It occured to me today, when I was practising, that at fast tempos, where the time frame is very small, playing on the click might lock you in better. I hope this makes sense. I'm just interested in any thoughts on playing with a metronome to the best effect. In any case, that old metronome certainly helps my time.

Dave Martin
11-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Use the metronome in whatever fashion helps your playing. Personally, I've never heard of anyone practicing with the click on 2 and 4, but whatever works...

Bin Hire
11-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Use the metronome in whatever fashion helps your playing. Personally, I've never heard of anyone practicing with the click on 2 and 4, but whatever works...
The metronome on 2 and 4 is quite a common practice in my experience. It works like a back beat. Definitely harder at fast tempos to get going.

Charles A Thomas
11-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I think the clicks on 2 and 4 gives a swinging feel, great for practicing solo ideas, but when tempos are fast and you want a solid walking line straight 4 is better, but whatever works for you