PDA

View Full Version : scrolls

Adrian Levi
11-09-2010, 10:56 AM
To my untrained eye these two scrolls look the same ? The scroll with the German tuners is mine (Ken I'm sure that German tuners on a French bass is not quite your thing :D ).

Im wondering if specific makers had specific scroll designs , or were there 'general' designs pointing to specific regions ?

Ken Smith
11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
To my untrained eye these two scrolls look the same ? The scroll with the German tuners is mine (Ken I'm sure that German tuners on a French bass is not quite your thing :D ).

Im wondering if specific makers had specific scroll designs , or were there 'general' designs pointing to specific regions ?

No, not the same and in many ways. Trace them out and lay one over the other, on paper.

The one with French Gears looks mid-19th century French. The other with German Gears I have mixed feelings on. The German Gears are not helping my eye either but is less refined or more banged up or both than the French Geared scroll on the right. Could you also show the other side of each as well as the back of them and maybe the front view as well since you are trying to compare them. All angles help making a decision I think.

Adrian Levi
11-09-2010, 11:56 AM
No, not the same and in many ways. Trace them out and lay one over the other, on paper.

The one with French Gears looks mid-19th century French. The other with German Gears I have mixed feelings on. The German Gears are not helping my eye either but is less refined or more banged up or both than the French Geared scroll on the right. Could you also show the other side of each as well as the back of them and maybe the front view as well since you are trying to compare them. All angles help making a decision I think.

I cant get more pics of the scroll w French tuners ... hope these help

Adrian Levi
11-10-2010, 01:30 PM
just bumping this thread up , waiting for Kens opinion on the pics .... :)

Ken Smith
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
just bumping this thread up , waiting for Kens opinion on the pics .... :)

Same. One if French and one not 100% sure. Can I see the bass that one is attached to with the hatpeg German gears? And, show me the one with the French/French scroll as well, the whole bass.