PDA

View Full Version : Old hands... literaly

RC Williams
11-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I have started a new business which may annoy some and inspire others... the name of the buis is KCNC Production and Design, LLC. Part of what I plan to do is offer my services to develop instrument parts for makers, (either specific to the luthier , or one of many very nice models from history), who would like my cnc machines to take out their trash. I know some fellows who are interested, but not sure that would be interested in any one knowing they are.

It is possible to have plates, forms, (inside and out), and necks carved to varying degrees of finish, from a simple rough arch to semi finished plates within a few tenths of a millimeter, with f holes and purfling channel already cut, rounded edges and rough graduation, either in generic, or custom model just for one specific maker.

The chief advantage of doing it this way is it saves your hands. and frees them to make more instruments, or make money on other things. I'm curious, does this make me the spawn of satin ,or an angel of mercy:confused:

Eric Swanson
11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Your site looks good:

http://kcncproduction.com/index.html

What are your routers' Z capacity (machineable height)? I see from your site that you have three machines.

We have a five-axis machine where I work with a 5' x 20' bed (Routech) and are looking to get a five-axis Onsrud with 4' of Z capacity. My firm is involved with non-instrument-related woodworking; we haven't done any instrument parts, although we do a lot of compound curvature work.

Good for you for starting this up. From my perspective as an architectural woodworker and amateur player, I say, absolutely; get the bulk of the wood out of the way so that the skilled luthiers can do what they do best, the detailed work. Save the hands for the work that only they can do.

Looks as if you do some architectural woodwork, too. Nice to see the diversification.

Best of luck!

Ken Smith
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Rick, in what part of your house is that machine you show? Will it interfere with dinner? I hate eating in a nice house with a machine running in the next room!:p

Looks nice.

RC Williams
11-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Eric, I have one machine with 10" clearence and 12" z stroke, it's an old Motion Master I rebuilt last year, and I have one table with 14 " clearence and a 7" stroke , but I have the z mounted on a dovetail slide so I can move it up or down as needed. this is my 4 axis machine i use it for roughing scrolls and necks as well as trimming Bass Buggie bodies .

Ken, the noise isn't so much a problem at dinner as the table moving, suddenly your dinner is in front of someone else!

Ken Smith
11-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Eric, I have one machine with 10" clearence and 12" z stroke, it's an old Motion Master I rebuilt last year, and I have one table with 14 " clearence and a 7" stroke , but I have the z mounted on a dovetail slide so I can move it up or down as needed. this is my 4 axis machine i use it for roughing scrolls and necks as well as trimming Bass Buggie bodies .

Ken, the noise isn't so much a problem at dinner as the table moving, suddenly your dinner is in front of someone else!

Well then, just have the guy next to you make 'your' order. At least this way you get what you want,, lol:D