PDA

View Full Version : New hair, to prime or not to prime?

Yeong Cham
11-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Hello all.

Just sent my bow for a rehair, black.

All things being equal, would you let the bow maker prime the hair (for example with power rosin) or does it makes more sense to use your own bass rosin from the get go?

I’m using Oak Rosin, Soft and Medium. I also have a cake of Nyman.

For the lucky ones – what would Sue Lipkins do? On Oak Rosin’s Testimonial page, she says - "...grips the string superbly well and makes breaking in new hair a dream.", but I wonder if she primes new hair with something else…

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Cham.

Ken Smith
11-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Hello all.

Just sent my bow for a rehair, black.

All things being equal, would you let the bow maker prime the hair (for example with power rosin) or does it makes more sense to use your own bass rosin from the get go?

I’m using Oak Rosin, Soft and Medium. I also have a cake of Nyman.

For the lucky ones – what would Sue Lipkins do? On Oak Rosin’s Testimonial page, she says - "...grips the string superbly well and makes breaking in new hair a dream.", but I wonder if she primes new hair with something else…

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Cham.

I think she just puts the Oak on, tests the bow and ships it out. Either way with powder or not, it wont hurt.

Thomas Erickson
11-22-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't like the powdered stuff, but I don't think it hurts anything either. I prefer to just get nice clean hair and put the rosin I like on it from the get-go.

Yeong Cham
11-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks! Bass rosin all the way it is.