PDA

View Full Version : Another bass ID thread...

Matt Gray
12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I recently bought this bass from a friend of mine, and as it is, we know of no labels on the bass. There's a signature on the bottom of the neck block which is placed in such a way that there's no way to read it without having to take the top off... which I'd like to avoid for the time being. That being said, until that time comes, I'd just like to get some advice on what it might be, visually speaking.

What I know about the bass: it was imported to America ca. 1962 with a gaggle of other basses by Dave Horine, in Cincinnati. It was originally intended to be bought by Indiana University for their student instrument collection (ironically enough, where I attend for school and I used to play Murray Grodner's old 'NBC' bass as I didn't have a bass which fit my needs until now), but it was decided that it didn't fit their needs. It was then bought by a student of Harold Roberts' and was played in the Denver Symphony for quite some time before, through proxies, it landed in my hands. I was fortunate enough to hear this tale from the original owner after purchasing the instrument.

Anyways: I have an appraisal claiming it to be (visually inspected, at least) ca. 1830 from the Markneukirchen region. She's quite a thick bass, she is.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/5236306366_088c4e3357_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5236308486_71cfb93a2e_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5170/5235714935_cda8b0efa4_z.jpg

Anyways, thanks so much! Any and all opinions accepted : )

thanks,
matt

Ken Smith
12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
The girl is no where near that old. Did you get her separately?:confused:

Matt Gray
12-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Nah, she's not 180 years old, but that's about the same time that Oberlin was founded!

Ken Smith
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Nah, she's not 180 years old, but that's about the same time that Oberlin was founded!

Close enough..;)

On your Bass, it looks a bit later than 1830 in style and way later in condition unless, this was keep under wraps for a long long time.

I have seen basses similar to this closer to the turn of the century (19th-20th) but most older German basses I have seen (pre-1860) were flatback and darker varnish. I can't get into makers but I have not seen many roundbacks from the early 19th century if at all that I can recall.

Of course, a personal inspection as well as looking inside with mirrors and lights would tell a lot more. Checking the Varnish with a UV light would also help in the estimated period.

It is very common for dealers selling basses to date them earlier than they were made. I can't count the basses I have seen mis-dated and mis-identified in favor of the dollar/price in their favor.

Markneukirchen may be correct but I would say that with all considered from looking at your pics, 1880-1920 is my estimate. Nice looking bass either way.

Matt Gray
12-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Hmm, okay. Was it just not in the style back then to make roundbacks back then, or was it an issue of production time, etc.?

Ken Smith
12-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Hmm, okay. Was it just not in the style back then to make roundbacks back then, or was it an issue of production time, etc.?

I don't really know what was on their minds but yes, flatbacks are much easier to make. I think that the French Vuillaume style roundback influenced the Germans a bit because that's about the period we start seeing these French-style German copies, mostly with roundbacks. Usually there was some sort of taper in the upper rib bouts narrowing towards the neck but some of them taper only slightly, remaining more Cello-like.