PDA

View Full Version : Extension weights

Thomas Erickson
03-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Was eyeing the KC strings brass extension earlier (again :) ) and wondering about how the main objection has been weight - on the site they say three pounds.

Purely for comparison, has anyone weighed one of their solid ebony extensions, preferably one with all the gates and hardware?

Just wondering if the weight issue is really so dramatic, or if aesthetics have a bit of a role (or more) - and have not gotten my hands on the brass unit yet. ;)

Ken Smith
03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Was eyeing the KC strings brass extension earlier (again :) ) and wondering about how the main objection has been weight - on the site they say three pounds.

Purely for comparison, has anyone weighed one of their solid ebony extensions, preferably one with all the gates and hardware?

Just wondering if the weight issue is really so dramatic, or if aesthetics have a bit of a role (or more) - and have not gotten my hands on the brass unit yet. ;)

It must be at least 3x heavier than an extension like what Arnold uses today. I would have to loosen the string and slide it off the bass to weigh it. You are a few days late with your question as I just changed strings on the Hart and don't feel like taking anything apart at the moment. The new brackets I think are black anodized from a lighter metal than the brass he previously used.

Look up the specific gravity between ebony and brass and compare the ratio. http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html

Ebony wood; 0.96 Sp.Gr.//60 Lbs/cubFt

Brass, rolled or cast; 8.56 Sp.Gr.// 534lbs/cubFt

Did I say 3x? Well, maybe with the KC mixed with wood and the Chromatics with Brass brackets its less than 9x difference but, the numbers do not lie.

Thomas Erickson
03-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks Ken (I think) for those numbers - I was pretty sure brass weighs more than wood, and you've confirmed it. :p