PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Sunny South Florida

Noah Hall
03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. So much knowledge and good stuff in general going on here it would be a shame not to be a part of it.
When I was just starting out, I cut my teeth on jazz and blues gigs as well corny dinner theater gigs in Boca Raton Florida. Past few years I've been in a roots rockabilly-country band. Was about as unfamiliar with playing slap style as I could possible be when I got the call for the gig (had never even seen gut strings before at that point, so green was I). After some woodshedding I got it down. I do miss jazz gigs a lot, however.
Recently I inadvertently became a "collector" of double basses seeing as I now own 3. My first DB, which I still own is an early Epiphone model B-3 that I found in an elderly neighbors carport needing serious attention. I recently bought one of those Palatino CCB's (not real proud of it) just for standing on and playing rough and/or showman style rockabilly gigs (the band calls it my "stunt bass").
My latest acquisition (purchased yesterday actually) is a hybrid flatback of mysterious origins that sounds fairly impressive; and is my first carved top DB. That will be my new "jazz machine".
Love the forum. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something beneficial along the way. :)