PDA

View Full Version : Robert Palmer

Robert Palmer
03-16-2007, 07:40 AM
No not the guy who is Addicted to Love or the Rolling Stone journalist, I am 'the other' Rob Palmer (actually there are 60+ on FriendsReunited so lets not go there!!). :p

I have been playing electric bass for 26-27 years and have played my Wal Custom fretless 4-string for 21 of them. The bass goes through an Eden Metro combo and sounds great and the set up works for everything I do. I have an extended range bass (Status 6-str) but, trust me, it ain't a Ken Smith - its uneven over the full range (if you EQ your amp to get a good sound on the low B, the high end is thin and tinny - if you fill out the top end, the 'BOOM' takes out your fillings!). The on-board Eq is weak also.

I started of in Heavy Metal bands :eek: but got bored very quickly and moved into jazz :cool: quite early on. I have had to move around the UK a lot but have always found a scene somewhere close by. I have played small group to big band jazz but, when I came to Suffolk in 2002, the jazz dried up a little so I also play some Latin music with Albino Cubana and the Gione Anthony group. I play with Essex singer/songwrite/ broadcaster Bridget Metcalfe's band and with anyone else who will call me. I get to play some quality music occasionally and have played with Jim Mullen, Iain Ballamy, Roy WIlliams, Janusz Carmello, the late Hank Shaw, Nick Page, Katriona Taylor and a few other 'B-list' celebrities! Still waiting for the call from Pat Metheny but I am beginning to think he has lost my number.

On top of the above, I am writing a biography on Paul Chambers so anyone who has anything interesting to say about Paul, his life, his music or his basses or bows, get in touch here or on Robpalmerpcbio@aol.com. I have the cooperation of Paul's family and have already had input from Jimmy Cobb, Ron Carter, Christian McBride and a host of others. THe discography is growing and I am hoping to produce a useful work on PCs life. Anything anyone can offer by way of additional info (substantited or not) will be useful in building a picture and telling Paul's story.

Other than that, I am married to Carmel and live in Felixstowe, Suffolk with 3 Yorkshire Terriers called Stanley, Jack and Daisy Mae! :)

Tim Bishop
03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
No not the guy who is Addicted to Love or the Rolling Stone journalist, I am 'the other' Rob Palmer (actually there are 60+ on FriendsReunited so lets not go there!!). :p

I have been playing electric bass for 26-27 years and have played my Wal Custom fretless 4-string for 21 of them. The bass goes through an Eden Metro combo and sounds great and the set up works for everything I do. I have an extended range bass (Status 6-str) but, trust me, it ain't a Ken Smith - its uneven over the full range (if you EQ your amp to get a good sound on the low B, the high end is thin and tinny - if you fill out the top end, the 'BOOM' takes out your fillings!). The on-board Eq is weak also.

I started of in Heavy Metal bands :eek: but got bored very quickly and moved into jazz :cool: quite early on. I have had to move around the UK a lot but have always found a scene somewhere close by. I have played small group to big band jazz but, when I came to Suffolk in 2002, the jazz dried up a little so I also play some Latin music with Albino Cubana and the Gione Anthony group. I play with Essex singer/songwrite/ broadcaster Bridget Metcalfe's band and with anyone else who will call me. I get to play some quality music occasionally and have played with Jim Mullen, Iain Ballamy, Roy WIlliams, Janusz Carmello, the late Hank Shaw, Nick Page, Katriona Taylor and a few other 'B-list' celebrities! Still waiting for the call from Pat Metheny but I am beginning to think he has lost my number.

On top of the above, I am writing a biography on Paul Chambers so anyone who has anything interesting to say about Paul, his life, his music or his basses or bows, get in touch here or on Robpalmerpcbio@aol.com. I have the cooperation of Paul's family and have already had input from Jimmy Cobb, Ron Carter, Christian McBride and a host of others. THe discography is growing and I am hoping to produce a useful work on PCs life. Anything anyone can offer by way of additional info (substantited or not) will be useful in building a picture and telling Paul's story.

Other than that, I am married to Carmel and live in Felixstowe, Suffolk with 3 Yorkshire Terriers called Stanley, Jack and Daisy Mae! :)

Hello Robert and welcome! :D

Richard Prowse
03-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Hello Tim Bishop and Check!:D