PDA

View Full Version : New Member, New unusual instument!

Michael Branch
04-09-2011, 02:05 AM
I am a new member, I joined to try to get some insight on a stringed instrument I just acquired which is a Frank Evans Coulter Mandolin. I have tried to research this item and only found a biography or interview with him published on line by Ancestry.com. I am trying to get a feel for what enthusiasts in this field know of him and if the mandolin is to be considered a rare item or sought after item. I will be selling this soon and would love any insight anyone can enlighten me with regarding this fine instrument. I have tried to down load one photo but keep getting an error message of (500) Michael.

Bin Hire
04-09-2011, 04:27 PM
It's a shame you're selling it. Is it a bass mandolin?

Michael Branch
04-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Dear Ben, I really hate to sell it, But I am trying to raise money to overcome a circumstance occurring in my life. I can't play it it sounds absolutely amazing! I would not be able to tell with no knowledge if it was a bass mandolin. Do you mean low end pitch Like a base guitar? If so, It is not that, The strings, eight of them have a high to low range. Mike

Ken Smith
04-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Dear Ben, I really hate to sell it, But I am trying to raise money to overcome a circumstance occurring in my life. I can't play it it sounds absolutely amazing! I would not be able to tell with no knowledge if it was a bass mandolin. Do you mean low end pitch Like a base guitar? If so, It is not that, The strings, eight of them have a high to low range. Mike

You are on the wrong forum for that. Try joining a Guitar or mandolin forum. This is a Bass forum and I think you will win the lottery before getting a bass player to buy a mandolin.

Like selling Ice Skates to Tiger Woods for his Sunday round. It's not gonna happen, sorry.

Michael Branch
04-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Dear ken, Am am new so Don't quite understand how to navigate this site yet. I am not trying to sell the item to anyone here, I just would like to find out more about it if someone knows. Michael.

Ken Smith
04-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Dear ken, Am am new so Don't quite understand how to navigate this site yet. I am not trying to sell the item to anyone here, I just would like to find out more about it if someone knows. Michael.

This is not the Forum for Mandolin info. Go to a Guitar, acoustic guitar and or a mandolin forum. That's the best advice I can give.

Michael Branch
04-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Dear Ken, I have been looking for about 40 minutes under forums and can't seem to find a Mandolin or guitar forum. What am I doing wrong and where should I go?

Arnold Schnitzer
04-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Try MIMF. It's a resource for string instrument makers, mostly guitar family.

Jim McKinney
04-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Just for openers:

1. - For all things - re: Mandolin - http://www.mandolincafe.com/

2. - RE: Coulter Mandolin -
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?50300-F.E.-Coulter-Luthier-from-1930-s

3. - Google Search: "Coulter Mandolin"

Michael Branch
04-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Dear Jim, Per chance, I found the thread that you are referring to just last night about 2 in the morning! It has been copied and I find it very useful! Thanks everyone for your help! Michael.

Richard Prowse
04-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Michael,
It's good that you found your place in the scheme of things.

Michael Branch
04-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Dear Richard, Thanks for your reassurance toward a novice like me. Research is like that, we fumble our way toward an eventual answer. Persistence is what gets us there! Thank-You! Warm Regards Michael Branch