PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my truss rod

Axel Weiss
04-22-2011, 12:35 PM
After more than 20 years playing my Ken Smith BT6 the hexagonal recess of my truss rod is worn out and adjustment of the neck's curvature is not possible anymore :eek:
Does anybody has an idea how to repair the rod or is it even possible ?
Thanks for support.
Best regards
Axel

Ken Smith
04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
After more than 20 years playing my Ken Smith BT6 the hexagonal recess of my truss rod is worn out and adjustment of the neck's curvature is not possible anymore :eek:
Does anybody has an idea how to repair the rod or is it even possible ?
Thanks for support.
Best regards
Axel

What size wrench are you using, exactly?

Use only the 1/8th inch and never the slightly smaller 3mm. The 3mm will round out that hex hole.

We can fix it here as I have to cut the old part to get it off.

Axel Weiss
04-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks Ken for you clarifying reply. My original Ken Smith wrench got lost years ago and to be honest I wasn't conscious of the need to use a 1/8th inch wrench and not a 3 mm one. Thus it's my fault as I use mm sized wrenches which are more common in Europe ...

I'll try to organize a 1/8th inch wrench and try it again. However if it does not work anymore I'll ship my bass to you.

For the matter I consider a refinishing/restauration of the bass. Do you offer such services ?

Thank you for support.
Best regards
Axel

Ken Smith
04-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks Ken for you clarifying reply. My original Ken Smith wrench got lost years ago and to be honest I wasn't conscious of the need to use a 1/8th inch wrench and not a 3 mm one. Thus it's my fault as I use mm sized wrenches which are more common in Europe ...

I'll try to organize a 1/8th inch wrench and try it again. However if it does not work anymore I'll ship my bass to you.

For the matter I consider a refinishing/restauration of the bass. Do you offer such services ?

Thank you for support.
Best regards
Axel

Yes, but all business should be done via company email (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/email/email.html) and not here on the Forum. As far as the correct wrench goes, we have this information published on the FAQ page for well over 10 years now; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/faq.html

1/8" wrench for the truss rod (included)
3mm wrench for Soapbar pickups with pole pieces
(DO NOT USE THIS WRENCH FOR THE TRUSS ROD)

A bit too late now for your Bass but it's good for others to see this if not already known.