PDA

View Full Version : Burner Questions

Chuck Laranjeira
05-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi,
Recently became a pround KS owner!
I just purchased a used Burner serial number 981571 DA4.
I think the electronics may need some work as I 'm having difficulting sorting out the control knobs other than the volume. I know that sounds like I'm a complete moron but seriously what position is the blend / bass / treble. I'm not hearing a significant difference between settings when playing with these 3 knobs. The bass came with no documentation. Would appreciate any info you can provide on this model. Also if the truss rod adjustment is under the "burner" marking on the headstock or if the neck has to be removed to adjust. Also I noticed you are in PA - I'm in NJ would you be willing to adjust / setup if I brought it to you? and how much would that cost?
Thanks
Chuck

Ken Smith
05-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi,
Recently became a pround KS owner!
I just purchased a used Burner serial number 981571 DA4.
I think the electronics may need some work as I 'm having difficulting sorting out the control knobs other than the volume. I know that sounds like I'm a complete moron but seriously what position is the blend / bass / treble. I'm not hearing a significant difference between settings when playing with these 3 knobs. The bass came with no documentation. Would appreciate any info you can provide on this model. Also if the truss rod adjustment is under the "burner" marking on the headstock or if the neck has to be removed to adjust. Also I noticed you are in PA - I'm in NJ would you be willing to adjust / setup if I brought it to you? and how much would that cost?
Thanks
Chuck

Just call. We don't need to write a book here on line.:eek:

All is easy to fix and the control layout for the 4 of the 5 knobs is on the FAQ page here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/faq.html#AnchorControls
Burner info here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html
And my info here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/email/email.html

Please note that the Forum is not listed on the Contact page. It's just a forum, not the actual place of business here on line. ;)

Tim Bishop
05-09-2011, 11:00 PM
....I'm not hearing a significant difference between settings when playing with these 3 knobs..... If you're NOT hearing a "significant difference" with the tone controls, maybe the battery is dead in the pre-amp. If so, replace with fresh 9V battery and then see what you have.

Tim Bishop
05-09-2011, 11:07 PM
....Also if the truss rod adjustment is under the "burner" marking on the headstockYes, that is where the truss head is located. Remove the cap and make only slight adjustments when necessary. Clockwise lessens relief, counter clock-wise increases relief. It's best to make this type of adjusment after you have set-up the bass with the strings and gauge you prefer.

Chuck Laranjeira
05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Tim -
Thanks for the responses. I'm actually a bit leary of adjusting the truss rod. I'm considering just taking it into Ken's shop which is only about 1hr away from me.
Thanks again,
Chuck

Ken Smith
05-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Tim -
Thanks for the responses. I'm actually a bit leary of adjusting the truss rod. I'm considering just taking it into Ken's shop which is only about 1hr away from me.
Thanks again,
Chuck

Only an Hour? :eek::eek:

We spent more time than that typing here.. :(:(

;);)

Tim Bishop
05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Tim -
Thanks again,
ChuckYes, if you can do that, that would be best. Did you check out the battery in the pre-amp?

Chuck Laranjeira
05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Took it to Ken today. He reset everthing and put on some new strings and it sounds and feels just great. It was also a real honor and pleasure to meet Ken in person and see the shop and some of the new basses. Well worth the trip. Now all I have to do is save up for one of his current models which are absolutely gorgeous.