PDA

View Full Version : Prescott Church Basses

Nathan Levine
06-05-2011, 11:06 PM
What is a church bass in excellent shape worth these days? Any ideas?

Ken Smith
06-06-2011, 12:01 AM
What is a church bass in excellent shape worth these days? Any ideas?

I have seen one actual Cello and several Church Basses which are slightly larger. Actually, the Cello is large as well.

As far as excellent condition goes, this I would like to see. Usually they are a mess. Value wise maybe a bass player can play bass-cello stuff on it tuned in 4ths like the old Kay that Ray Brown, Percy Heath and Sam Jones played on if Sam used a Kay, not sure. If so, it has some value but to hang on the wall, less. I have the Prescott sales records (a copy) (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showpost.php?p=10&postcount=6) from 1809 - 1829. They went then starting at around $10 and gradually increased to about $20.. Double Basses were selling I think for about double that price. These do NOT have the Value of a DB or a Cello for that matter as the size is just too big or too small.

Show us the instrument, detailed pictures and I will tell you in my opinion where it will place between $200 and $2000.

Nathan Levine
06-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Ok, perhaps I should have said healthy, not excellent. Here are a few pictures that I received. Sorry if it is not enough, but it is all I have. Should get a chance to play it at the end of the month while visiting the East Coast.

Ken Smith
06-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Ok, perhaps I should have said healthy, not excellent. Here are a few pictures that I received. Sorry if it is not enough, but it is all I have. Should get a chance to play it at the end of the month while visiting the East Coast.

That may be a Church Bass but, it is NOT a Prescott. The shape, varnish, scroll, f-holes and flatback, all different than any Prescott I have ever seen.

here is a classic case of anything possible Yankee being called a Prescott. I don't agree was the attribution at all, sorry.

I don't know who made that but there might be a dealer or two in the northeast that has seen a dozen or so makers Church basses and can ID but another they know that is identical or close.

Nathan Levine
06-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Too bad. Thanks for your expertise regarding this instrument.

Ken Smith
06-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Too bad. Thanks for your expertise regarding this instrument.

I have seen many non-Prescott instruments called Prescott. Regardless, Prescott was not in the class of the fine European makers at all. He did however produce the most basses (200?) and Cello/Church Basses (500?) of any other 19th century Yankee maker. He had plenty of help. Also, I have seen many mis-attributed Prescott basses that were in my opinion as good or better. Fame/pedigree brings more money than sound in the vintage world but in the price range of Yankee basses, I would go for the sound first.