I know you have probably discussed this more times than you care to,
but is there any advantage to increasing the scale length from the
standard 34"?

I've played both 34" and 35" 5 and 6 strings before, however there
are many degrees of definition that can occur for the B string, some
good, some not so good.

Seems to me that there are a lot of variables, body and neck woods,
string design, bridge design, etc. etc.

Can you elaborate on some of your thoughts?

BTW, very cool website.

Ken Smith
07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Ok, first off, divide 34 into 35 or 35 by 34. You will see that the difference is just under 3% in length.

After having produced over 6,000 handmade basses, many of them 6-strings but most of them 5 or 6-string basses, the minority being 4-string, I can say that I have seen within the same length of 34" a few variables in the tension using the exact same string gauge and bridge.

So, is that 3% difference you seek the answer or is it the construction of the bass. Is the neck to body angle and the head to nut angle and length as well as bridge placement and material more or less important than that barely 3% in length?

Lets look past this 34/35" question and look at double basses from 40-42" or even 39-44" of which all I have played. The shorter basses to me seem tighter and the longer ones actually looser.

Take a stick at 3 feet. Bend it and feel its flex. Then cut it in half and try bending 18" of it. Which is more flexible within the exact same wood? The longer one is so I will save you the trouble.

Resistance, torque, vibration, string stiffness, wood specias, molecules, crystal balls and what have you. Playing a 35" scale made the exact same way as a 34" is not in my book tighter from my experience. Also, your left hand has to stretch more on EVERY note ALL of the time. Isn't it hard enough playing the bass itself? Must we strain our hands and muscles and tendons even more because someone tried 35" and thinks it makes 'their' bass work better?

There is more, much more to the tension of a bass than just the length of the open string in my opinion and experience.

Smith Basses are 34". The first 6 we put out in 1981 was 34". The one completed last week 30 years later was 34" as well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

Steven Freitas
07-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. You've brought up some very good
points. Seems to me now more of a marketing gimmick than anything
else. I guess what it really comes down to, playing comfort and
sound.

BTW, still got my SWR Redhead 240W. IMO one of the best combo
amps made.