PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with Smith Pickups!

Hector Corrales Campos
10-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Hi everybody!!! I recently bought a Ken Smith Bass, it´s a BSR5M model and the Serial Number is 5M218702T

The bass looks great and it have all of the original Smith Parts (9V preamp, Soapbars pickups with pole pieces wired in parallel, input smith jack, etc.) but i think the bass has a problem in the pickups, because when playing B, E, A, D strings (slap&fingerstyle) these strings sound like "heaven" :D or in other words they have the legendary sound of the Smith Basses, but the "G" string sound very, very different and i don´t know why :(

The preamp is working perfectly (push/pull volume, pan, bass mid, higs) with no hum or noise, also the bass has a new 9V battery (duracell) and a new set of fresh Smith Strings Taper Core Medium.

Why the "G" string sound different??? Do you think it will be a problem on the pickups??

Thanx to all in the forum, your help would be aprecciated, especially thanx to Mr. Ken Smith for made the best basses on the planet :)

Best Regards

HECTOR

Tim Bishop
10-05-2011, 06:36 AM
....the "G" string sound very, very different and i don´t know why :(.

What do you mean by "very, very different"?

Two things I would consider first before any other assumptions:

1. It could be the G-string. Just because the strings are "fresh" or "new" doesn't guarantee against a faulty string. While it's rare, it does happen.

2. Has the bass been properly set-up?

Without having the bass in hand, it's difficult to determine what you could be experiencing. I would rule out No. 1 or 2 (above) first.

Hector Corrales Campos
10-05-2011, 11:31 AM
What do you mean by "very, very different"?

Two things I would consider first before any other assumptions:

1. It could be the G-string. Just because the strings are "fresh" or "new" doesn't guarantee against a faulty string. While it's rare, it does happen.

2. Has the bass been properly set-up?

Without having the bass in hand, it's difficult to determine what you could be experiencing. I would rule out No. 1 or 2 (above) first.

Thanx for your answer Tim, but i don`t think the strings are the problem here because it was happening also with the old strings. The bass has properly setup by a pro, then it is not for these causes :(

To better explain, with the bass eq flat and the pan at center (both pickups) B, E, A, D strings has these "SMITH" sound, but the "G" string sounds like a Fender P-Bass o something like that, but only the G string!!!

I think i need to replace the pickps with new ones...

Tim Bishop
10-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanx for your answer Tim, but i don`t think the strings are the problem here because it was happening also with the old strings. The bass has properly setup by a pro, then it is not for these causes :(

To better explain, with the bass eq flat and the pan at center (both pickups) B, E, A, D strings has these "SMITH" sound, but the "G" string sounds like a Fender P-Bass o something like that, but only the G string!!!

I think i need to replace the pickps with new ones...Have you tried adjusting the G-string pole-pieces on each P/U? It only takes small adjustments to dial in each string up and down the neck. Make sense?

Hector Corrales Campos
10-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Have you tried adjusting the G-string pole-pieces on each P/U? It only takes small adjustments to dial in each string up and down the neck. Make sense?

Yes Tim, i tried that, and adjust the pole pieces up and down on each pickup but the sound comming form "G" string is the same, very different from the other strings :(

Tim Bishop
10-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes Tim, i tried that, and adjust the pole pieces up and down on each pickup but the sound comming form "G" string is the same, very different from the other strings :(Very odd. Sounds like whomever had the bass before you maybe messed it up. The magnets in those P/U's are very strong and, for example, if someone used steel wool on the frets and fretboard (i.e. to clean) and didn't cover the P/U's for protection from the steel wool particles, it's possible the P/U's are messed up as a result. Not sure what else it could be otherwise.

Hector Corrales Campos
10-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Very odd. Sounds like whomever had the bass before you maybe messed it up. The magnets in those P/U's are very strong and, for example, if someone used steel wool on the frets and fretboard (i.e. to clean) and didn't cover the P/U's for protection from the steel wool particles, it's possible the P/U's are messed up as a result. Not sure what else it could be otherwise.

Maybe Tim, the bass are used but it`s in great condition, but probably the previous owner do someting wrong and messed up the pickups :(

I think i need to replace the pickps with new ones...:(

Tim Bishop
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe Tim, the bass are used but it`s in great condition, but probably the previous owner do someting wrong and messed up the pickups :(

I think i need to replace the pickps with new ones...:(Or, before you spend money on new P/U's and as you referenced earlier, your "pro" set-up-tech can troubleshoot it for you and determine what you need to do. Just make certain you know your "pro" set-up tech knows what they are doing.

Hector Corrales Campos
10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Or, before you spend money on new P/U's and as you referenced earlier, your "pro" set-up-tech can troubleshoot it for you and determine what you need to do. Just make certain you know your "pro" set-up tech knows what they are doing.

Thanx Tim, i will try to exhaust all options before buying a new set of Ken pickups, and get another technician to check my bass to have a different opinion :)

Thanx for your help Tim, the next days I'll notice if it might solve the problem or not:)

Best Regards

Ronen Tat
10-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi Hector,
I would also check the G string saddle at the bridge. Check that the string sits in its place. Make sure there is optimal contact between saddle screws and bridge base.

Bill Bernhard
10-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Is the problem there if you solo either pickup?

Hector Corrales Campos
10-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Take it to another technician who readjusted the pole pieces and replace the input jack (barrel).

He told me that the problem was the adjustment of the pole pieces on G string!!! I´m very happy now with my BSR5M :D SOUNDS AWESOME!!!

But now the noise (hum) gets under both (passive and active) do not know if this can be corrected with a direct box with ground/lift switch.....

Someone else has had this problem (noise or hum)?

Best Regards

HECTOR

Hajime Hirose
11-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Dear Hector,
I think it seems your shielding paint lost effect like new Smith basses. Most basses have no problem for very long time, but if your bass spent for long time with too much moisture or some other reasons, there is no enough effect of shielding.
Then if you have tester, I recommend you check resister of shielding effect, then if you find high number from tester, you need to re-shield. It is easy repair work. But if you have no experience, you need to bring it some skillful repair person who won't break electronics.
And I also recommend if bridge touches to the ground.

Hajime