PDA

View Full Version : Player Magazine Q & A (in English)

Ken Smith
12-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I was recently contacted by my Distributor in Japan so answer some questions for Player Magazine (http://www.player.jp/index.html) (This is best sales music magazine in Japan.)

Since this will be published in Japanese I thought the readers here might want to read it in a language they can understand and because most here do not get home delivery of the magazine either. ;)

Q. How you select wood and decide combination of wood?

A. >>> First off, ask WHY I use the woods that I use and why I do NOT use some woods that others use. Then, we can mix them together.

I use the woods for neck and body that I think work the best and not for cost or convenience but really, what works. Not all neck woods used for Guitars are best. Some just buy what is easy to get or use. For Bass we need the neck strong and fairly stiff because it is long. Also, the wood can not be too brittle as mild or gentle knocks might crack the wood. Maple comes in many species and the nest for necks overall is Hard/Sugar maple. This wood has many natural defects as far as cosmetics go and we try to avoid them. We buy only pure white sap maple but still inside, we find brown streaks known as sugar spots because the tree sap makes sugar. The careful selection of grade and color makes this wood even more expensive and difficult to find but, it is the best we know of. The neck strips used for extra stiffness are chosen for their harder and stiffer qualities than maple. Mixed together, they work well for strength. Adding the hardwood fingerboards like Morado or Ebony makes the sandwich/lamination even stronger. Just in case, we add special precision custom made (not commercially supplied) Graphite inlaid bars on all neck thru models and some bolt-ons as well. They way we put the graphite in the neck is special as well. Sorry, I will not tell how! A bass that might travel around the world needs to be as stable as possible. The Graphite helps this happen.

For body woods I think of tone like a Violin, Cello or Double Bass. These instruments rely only on their acoustical properties and not by amplifiers. Volume and tome are two different things with a Violin so why not respect this 400+ year old science and use the information already discovered. My original idea was inspired by my 300 year old Italian bass that had the most beautiful sound, clear, free speaking and colorful sounding. That bass today is at home in a European Orchestra at the Principal stand. I played that bass professionally for 15 years. In that time I wondered, why cant I have an Electric bass made as fine. It seemed that not a single bass builder even had a clue that the Double Bass (violin) and Electric bass (guitar family) were ever or even related. But, they are. Wood and strings = tone. I wanted comfort and even sound with all tone registers. I wanted to have the 400+ year old science in MY personal bass so, I started to search this out. Maple is a great projecting tone wood but if too dense or too thick, it will absorb too much tone. The beauty of striped maple (tiger/curly/flamed) was my dream wood. It was on the backs of many great violins in a book I had when I was previously studying Double Bass and it's repairs before starting my company. I had also seen the figured maple occasionally on the backs of old Double Basses but due to its cost, was rarely used. Later German and French imported basses over the last 150 years showed much of this maple but most often, the maple was left too thick and killed the sound. Thinning out the maple and the top spruce as well proved to help the sound come alive after being dead for 50-150 years. Production for price was the cause as the wood came cheap at that time in those countries and labor was more. Just like now, labor is more except in places of mass production like China today, Korea and Taiwan before China and once upon a time, Japan as well. Looks were more important than sound because an amplifier will fix this. Maybe true for the average player but for me, I wanted an equal to me 300 year old Italian bass. Matching Maple and other woods that would enhance or just be neutral in the mix was the search I went on. From laminated maple bodies to solid maple to top and back with various core woods I found what worked best in all areas. Today with over 6,000 hand made basses produced, I have a much better idea what makes a better Smith bass tomorrow than yesterday. Then, there is age. Basses I produced 20 and 30 years ago that sounded good acoustically but not great have matured and now sound great. The thicker the woods, the longer sleeping beauty will sleep! Once awoken, she will sing like never before.

I think here, concept is more important that the details. The WHY is more important than the HOW.

Q. And how grain make difference for tone.

A. >>> I am not 100% sure about grain for tone. What I am sure of is how you use and glue the woods is more important than anything else. A child does better doing what they like more than being forced to do something they don't. So, don't force the wood. Let it dry, age, acclimate and join the pieces together effortlessly without tension built into the instrument. Force will cause resistance.

Bryan L Williams
08-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Maple and Ebony...what a fine combination! :)

Thank you for posting this in English! These few paragraphs speak volumes.

Have you ever considered/attempted adding chambers in the bodies of your electric bass guitars?

Ken Smith
08-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Maple and Ebony...what a fine combination! :)

Thank you for posting this in English! These few paragraphs speak volumes.

Have you ever considered/attempted adding chambers in the bodies of your electric bass guitars?

Way way back we did a few that we called Semi-hollow body. The problem is you can't clean out the glue drips if you have any and can't get to them. Also, you might have some unwanted wolf tones as well. Not worth the effort I found. Only a few were done semi-hollow/chambered. Over 6,000 done without! I will go with the success of the numbers.

Bryan L Williams
08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Way way back we did a few that we called Semi-hollow body. The problem is you can't clean out the glue drips if you have any and can't get to them. Also, you might have some unwanted wolf tones as well. Not worth the effort I found. Only a few were done semi-hollow/chambered. Over 6,000 done without! I will go with the success of the numbers.

That's an interesting point about the glue drops...:eek:

Scott Pope
08-14-2012, 11:00 PM
That's an interesting point about the glue drops...:eek:
Indeed! I have a relatively inexpensive semi-hollow electric guitar that I purchased because it felt good to hold and play and had a good fingerboard, and because I needed that particular kind of instrument for the gigs I was playing at the time: the deal was great, but the tone was a little lacking. I cleaned up the interior of all the excess glue, smoothed out where the interior joinery was rough, trimmed a couple of top braces that were on the overkill side, slightly re-aligned the pickup cutouts (yes, I took a router to the top of a "perfectly good guitar" to take 1/8 inch off the bridge side of the bridge pickup cutout and move the pickup to get a tad more "bite"), and rewired it, and now the guitar sounds as good as it looks and feels.

Don't underestimate what the interior finishing, or lack thereof, can do for, or get in the way of, good tone.

Bryan L Williams
08-17-2012, 08:30 PM
If used as a body core on a Smith bass, how might Acer pseudoplatanus compare tonally with Acer rubrum?

Ken Smith
08-17-2012, 08:58 PM
If used as a body core on a Smith bass, how might Acer pseudoplatanus compare tonally with Acer rubrum?

Trying to be a wise guy? :p

I think from what I have seen, the pseudoplatanus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_pseudoplatanus) is slightly harder and tighter grained than the rubrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_rubrum) as far as basic properties go.

The rubrum here is more plentiful and cut mostly on the slab. Some logs are quartered on occasion for Guitar blocks. When quartered, the edge shows little or no flame in comparison to the slab or grade cut commercial logs with the flame is more prominent on the sides that show when used as a core. That's the visual.

On the tone, depending on the top/back woods, I think the softer rubrum is more favourable. I also want to point out that the macrophyllum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_macrophyllum) is equally desirable for weight and tone. If quilted, the figure is mild but attractive. If flamed, it can be even more attractive than the rubrum around the edges.

Bryan L Williams
08-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Trying to be a wise guy? :p

I think from what I have seen, the pseudoplatanus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_pseudoplatanus) is slightly harder and tighter grained than the rubrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_rubrum) as far as basic properties go.

The rubrum here is more plentiful and cut mostly on the slab. Some logs are quartered on occasion for Guitar blocks. When quartered, the edge shows little or no flame in comparison to the slab or grade cut commercial logs with the flame is more prominent on the sides that show when used as a core. That's the visual.

On the tone, depending on the top/back woods, I think the softer rubrum is more favourable. I also want to point out that the macrophyllum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_macrophyllum) is equally desirable for weight and tone. If quilted, the figure is mild but attractive. If flamed, it can be even more attractive than the rubrum around the edges.

I know you don't use European Maple in your electric basses, but I could not resist asking you...especially since you play large violi...I mean double basses also. ;) Plus, you really know about Maple, so I just had to ask about how you thought rubrum compared with its European relatives. So, in the tone department, it sounds like rubrum might generally fall somewhere between Acer pseudoplatanus and Acer macrophyllum?

When would you recommend rubrum over macrophyllum as a core wood in a Smith bass?

Ken Smith
08-18-2012, 01:48 AM
I know you don't use European Maple in your electric basses, but I could not resist asking you...especially since you play large violi...I mean double basses also. ;) Plus, you really know about Maple, so I just had to ask about how you thought rubrum compared with its European relatives. So, in the tone department, it sounds like rubrum might generally fall somewhere between Acer pseudoplatanus and Acer macrophyllum?

When would you recommend rubrum over macrophyllum as a core wood in a Smith bass?

Actually, I have a bit of Euro maple for over 10 years now. I stashed it away till just recently. We sell it as Sycamore (what they often call it in England and Europe) and use it mainly for top and back sets. This is from trees grown in USA but planted from English and Norway seeds 100's of years ago. The wood I have was cut specifically to yield guitar wood. While I have less than enough to make 100 bass top/back sets (estimated), I have the other two species above in stock for a lifetime worth that is 8-20 years old in-stock.

Bryan L Williams
08-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Actually, I have a bit of Euro maple for over 10 years now. I stashed it away till just recently. We sell it as Sycamore (what they often call it in England and Europe) and use it mainly for top and back sets. This is from trees grown in USA but planted from English and Norway seeds 100's of years ago. The wood I have was cut specifically to yield guitar wood. While I have less than enough to make 100 bass top/back sets (estimated), I have the other two species above in stock for a lifetime worth that is 8-20 years old in-stock.

:o Well...I stand corrected! (Now I know why I did not see it listed in the wood pages...it's been in hiding. ;)) That sounds like some pretty unique Maple you have there.

If you were going to pair up the Euro-American Maple with one of the two other American species as a core wood, which would you personally choose...and why?

Ken Smith
08-19-2012, 01:38 AM
:o Well...I stand corrected! (Now I know why I did not see it listed in the wood pages...it's been in hiding. ;)) That sounds like some pretty unique Maple you have there.

If you were going to pair up the Euro-American Maple with one of the two other American species as a core wood, which would you personally choose...and why?

Easy, not the Euro stuff. It's mostly cut into blocks on the quarter. The top surfaces have more figure showing than the edges do for showing off the figure like the edge of the core would.