PDA

View Full Version : vas ist das...German?

Jim Mortimore
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
This is an instrument I have inherited from a jazz bass playing relative of mine. I'd love to know any information anybody can kindly contribute to this thread. Many thanks.

The measurements are:

Upper Bout - 19"
Lower Bout - 26"
Rib Depth - 8"
String Length - 41"

Anselm Hauke
01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
vas ist das...German?

Ja!

looks like a german bass with nice french tuners

Ken Smith
01-10-2012, 11:20 PM
vas ist das...German?

Ja!

looks like a german bass with nice french tuners

I agree.. Commercial German/Czech style bass that had plate tuners before these Mirecourt gears which, might be older than the bass. Maybe, maybe not. The top looks to be possibly re-finished as it has a smeared look to it. That is usually a bad sign of something that was covered up for whatever reason or, just a bad choice to do so.

This is more of a German shop bass than a handmade one by an individual.

Jim Mortimore
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Could you possibly estimate a date it was made and a rough figure of what I should insure the bass for?

Ken Smith
01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Could you possibly estimate a date it was made and a rough figure of what I should insure the bass for?

Maybe 1930 or so but you should go to a shop where you are and get a written appraisal. I sold a bass not so different than that valued at $7k that needed some work of which I deducted from the sale price. Prices can vary there from here and depending on the sound and overall condition.

Jim Mortimore
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Ken, you are a fountain of knowledge.
Thank you.

Jim Mortimore
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I gave the bass a clean and took some half decent pictures.

also the original measurements were wrong...

they are

Upper Bout - 20"
Lower Bout - 26"
Rib Depth - 8.4"
String Length - 42"