PDA

View Full Version : Neck Relief

Frank Rubio
01-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a 1990 Burner Custom 5 and would like to know about adjusting the neck. Is this a two way truss rod? If not will turning to the right increase
the relief.

Tim Bishop
01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I have a 1990 Burner Custom 5 and would like to know about adjusting the neck. Is this a two way truss rod? If not will turning to the right increase
the relief. Hey Frank. Turning clockwise will decrease relief. Turning counter-clockwise will increase relief. NOTE: Make your adjustments in small increments (i.e. 1/4 turn's). If the neck/truss rod has not been abused and your frets are in good shape, you should be able to set your action low without fret-buzz (of course this depends on your playing style).

Tim Bishop
01-14-2012, 11:54 AM
the relief.
How would you describe your action as it is now (before any adjustments)?

Ronen Tat
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Adjusting the truss rod is for neck relief, not action. Once you have the right amount of relief the action is set at the bridge and nut. My point is, when adjusting the truss rod pay attention only to the neck, not the action. Take care of that later - at the bridge.
Of course, I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
01-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Adjusting the truss rod is for neck relief, not action. Once you have the right amount of relief the action is set at the bridge and nut. My point is, when adjusting the truss rod pay attention only to the neck, not the action. Take care of that later - at the bridge.
Of course, I could be wrong :rolleyes:Who said it was for adjusting "action"? Adjusting the neck is not only for adjusting relief, but an integral part of what contributes to the action when the overall set-up has been completed.

Ronen Tat
01-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Who said it was for adjusting "action"? Adjusting the neck is not only for adjusting relief, but an integral part of what contributes to the action when the overall set-up has been completed.

Well, adjusting the neck IS indeed only for adjusting relief AND an integral part of what contributes to the action when the overall set-up has been completed.

Frank Rubio
01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks as I was tring to get a little more relief and now that i know it is counter clock wise I am glad I waited to find out. Neck relief is the first step in setting up a neck, without correct relief you have a hard time setting up the actiion.

Franck Callebert
08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
What is the exact dimension of the wrench needed to adjust the trussrod ?

Tim Bishop
08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
What is the exact dimension of the wrench needed to adjust the trussrod ?Truss Rod Wrench: 1/8"

Ken Smith
08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
What is the exact dimension of the wrench needed to adjust the trussrod ?

Do NOT use a 3mm wrench for the truss rod or you will strip the nut.

Franck Callebert
08-08-2012, 05:02 PM
thanks all,
I was clearly aware to not use a metric system wrench.
Got to fetch a 1/8" hex wrench now :o

But i think that the former owner have already done bad :mad:

danilo ninkovic
08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
It seems to me, neck setup somehow affect the sound of strings, not only to playbility?

:confused:

Scott Pope
08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
It seems to me, neck setup somehow affect the sound of strings, not only to playbility?
:confused:
It can, but in a subtle way. When the tension is changed on the neck from adjustment of the truss rod interacting with the string tension, it can slightly alter the resonant frequency. On a well made multi-piece neck, like Ken's, where the resonance or dead notes are not an issue, it won't be noticable, but on less expensive one piece necks that tend to have a dead note somewhere, like the 8th fret of the G string, juggling string tension and truss rod tension can sometimes bring a little life back to the dead note.

Franck Callebert
10-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Another Wrench question : I need to adjsust the string height ...
Can U provide me the exact dimension of the wrench to order it

Thanx in advance ;)

Tim Bishop
10-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Another Wrench question : I need to adjsust the string height ...
Can U provide me the exact dimension of the wrench to order it

Thanx in advance ;)Smith Basses bridge saddles wrench: .05"

Ken Smith
10-07-2012, 06:24 PM
the relief.

Ok, Burners use a 4mm wrench. My comments were referring to Smith USA basses, not the old Burners. Sorry.

Turning towards the E/B takes out the relief. Turning towards the G loosens rod and increases the possibility of relief.

Joshua Phelps
10-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree with tim here on the Neck Adjustment. Imo the Secret to a great setup & low action is a neck thats flat as possible & very level frets. Best setup i have ever Seen on a Bass Period (if you like very low action) was on a smith with a CRAZY flat neck. You Could Barely Slide a business card between the strings & the fret @ the 7th fret when fretting the 1st & 24th fret & unfretted the action was as low as i have ever seen on a bass. This Bass can Be Plucked pretty hard on all notes with 0% fret buzzing.

Think about it. Fingerboard wood is cut flat. Wouldnt it be Better for the wood also to not be bending foward? also wouldnt it make it easier to fret notes between the 3 & 12th fret without having to press the strings down another fraction of a mm due to alot of foward bow? Flat neck (flat as possible without fret buzz) is better for the wood & better for the Playability ;)