PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Philly-HELP

Flint Buchanan
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi

I may be moving to the Philly area for a job. What's the scene like?

Am I likely to be able to get a good college student for a teacher like I can here in Athens, GA? Are there any amateur orchestras? What's the potential of getting together with folks to work on some straight ahead jazz? It's just a couple of hours to NYC, right?

any input would be helpful.

Thanks
Flint

Richard Prowse
03-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Sorry, can't really help.
I don't really know exactly where Philly is.
Now if you were asking about Lower Hutt...

Mike Smith
03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Maybe if I got my brother to come on in here he could help you out, he currently attends the university of the arts in philly, and gets jobs around there all the time playing jazz/gospel.

Flint Buchanan
03-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Mike-that would be much appreciated.

Richard-I should have just said "Philadelphia". Sorry for possibly being USA-centric.

flint

Richard Prowse
03-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Good luck with the playing in "Philly" Flint.

stan haskins
03-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Flint -

I've attended workshops at Temple University in Philly. There seem to be lots of good players there, that might be a place to start. I know one woman with a very established piano studio, if you want her email, PM me. I'm not sure what kind of scene you're looking for, though.

You're a jazz player, right? I remember on the TBDB forum another jazz player asked about the scene in Philly - he was into avant-garde, free jazz or something . . . try searching for that. (I see you've already done the work on TB - you're "chortle nut", right?)

FWIW, I've always liked that city - it seems to me to be the best combination of small city/big city I've ever encountered in the US. Reasonable cost of living, too. Parking is a problem though . . .

What kind of work did you get there, BTW?

stan haskins
03-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi

I may be moving to the Philly area for a job. What's the scene like?

Am I likely to be able to get a good college student for a teacher like I can here in Athens, GA?
Absolutely. Start with Temple and take it from there.
It's just a couple of hours to NYC, right?

Yes - when I was still in NYC I took the train a few times. It's an easy hop, you can take public transportation the whole way. If I remember correctly, Grand Central to downtown Philly was less than two hours, if you catch an express.

Flint Buchanan
03-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Stan- Currently I earn my bread by being a digital media artist focusing on medical and scientific animation. I'm interviewing with a company in the Philadelphia area that provides stuff for the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry. If everything turns to socialized medicine in the near future, like it looks to be, then I'll have to find a new gig :mad:

thanks
flint

Brian Gencarelli
03-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Stan- Currently I earn my bread by being a digital media artist focusing on medical and scientific animation. I'm interviewing with a company in the Philadelphia area that provides stuff for the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry. If everything turns to socialized medicine in the near future, like it looks to be, then I'll have to find a new gig :mad:

thanks
flint

Maybe, like taking digital pictures of basses? ;)

Like I said on the TB side of the fence... I have the guy you need to take from in Philly. Graduated from Temple, studied with Hal Robinson. Has made the finals of some good orchestra auditions. AND, did some time in Athens with me prior to all that.

Let me know how things turn out.

BG

stan haskins
03-30-2007, 11:30 AM
If everything turns to socialized medicine in the near future, like it looks to be . . . . :mad:

Please don't wish that on us, Flint.

Richard Prowse
04-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Please don't wish that on us, Flint.
All cookies cleared!

Ken Smith
04-07-2007, 04:47 AM
All cookies cleared!

Is this on your PC, on your plate (less sweets) or between your ears that you are referring to?;)

Richard Prowse
04-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Is this on your PC, on your plate (less sweets) or between your ears that you are referring to?;)
Come on Ken, it was more 'punchy' when you used the two green guys
(:D :D) with the added 'Lol!'

Robert Prowse
04-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Come on big brother .... give Ken a break!

Richard Prowse
05-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Come on big brother .... give Ken a break!
An arm or a leg?
Lol!:D :D

Richard Prowse
10-03-2007, 12:36 AM
This thread's been a bit quiet lately.

Richard Prowse
11-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Well then, how's the move to Philly been?