PDA

View Full Version : Taking Bass to Chicago for a few days by Van (advice needed)

Forrest Evans
01-24-2012, 09:25 PM
I keep my home around 65 degree and have a whole house humidifier that keeps things around 43% in Kansas. I going on a tour to Illinois (mainly the Chicago area). Any thoughts on how to maintain my Shen bass 3/4 willowback during this 4-5 day tour?

I know enough not to keep it in an unheated van for too long with the heat off. Chances are it will only stay in an unheated van when I stop for a quick meal.

Should I bring a room humidifier with me when I'm in the hotel room or host's house? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Ken Smith
01-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I keep my home around 65 degree and have a whole house humidifier that keeps things around 43% in Kansas. I going on a tour to Illinois (mainly the Chicago area). Any thoughts on how to maintain my Shen bass 3/4 willowback during this 4-5 day tour?

I know enough not to keep it in an unheated van for too long with the heat off. Chances are it will only stay in an unheated van when I stop for a quick meal.

Should I bring a room humidifier with me when I'm in the hotel room or host's house? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Get 2 zip lock bags. Put a damp sponge in each. Punch holes with a pencil all over the back but not at the bottom where it will hang. Put a small hole at the top of each bag. Tie a string connecting them long enough so the each hang down thru the ff holes under the bridge, about 6" down inside the bass. Keep the bass standing in the room when possible in the case. In the van, keep the sponges half dry to avoid drip on to the back as it lays in the van when you drive. I use small sponge pairs in small zip bags in most of the basses in my office with a humidifier in the room keeping it 40-45% as best as possible 24/7 in the dry winter/fall/spring months. In the summer, it goes over 50% quite often.

Forrest Evans
01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but how big of a hole do you recommend? JK. :)

Should I push the pencil all the way through?

Thanks again!

Ken Smith
01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but how big of a hole do you recommend. :)

"Punch holes with a pencil all over the back but not at the bottom where it will hang."

I would say a #2 pencil but not all the way to the un-sharpened wood. So about 3mm/1/8th+/.125" holes which will close slightly when you pull the pencil point out. Deep enough for air to suck out the water from the sponge. Do not use a hole puncher. It makes a full round hole and takes to long! Just stab it a few times and be done with it.