PDA

View Full Version : How to properly change my stings

Desmund Nichols
02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
For some reason, I have changing the strings on my bass. Its like changing a flat tire for me, I never enjoy it. I am just curious, as to what should I do when I change my strings. Should I take off string by sting and replace, or take them all off and replace? What do I clean the neck with? How much polish to I put on the neck and fretboard? How long do i let it dry before I put new strings back on? Should I have the strings tight or more loose on the bass? I just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong.

Thank you

Bunny Hoskins
03-27-2012, 10:49 PM
For some reason, I have changing the strings on my bass. Its like changing a flat tire for me, I never enjoy it. I am just curious, as to what should I do when I change my strings. Should I take off string by sting and replace, or take them all off and replace? What do I clean the neck with? How much polish to I put on the neck and fretboard? How long do i let it dry before I put new strings back on? Should I have the strings tight or more loose on the bass? I just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong.

Thank you
Des just change one string at a time. Take one off and tighten the new one up.

Bunny Hoskins
03-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Des just change one string at a time. Take one off and tighten the new one up.
Then do the next one. Do you get the idea?

Richard Prowse
03-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Ha ha Bunny! Good advice!

Allan Todd
03-29-2012, 05:33 AM
I always remove all the strings but slacken the truss rod slightly, it makes it easier to clean the fretboard & polish the frets,

Kirk P Brosius
03-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Hey Ken,
Any input on the last post?
I think that it is always a good idea to remove ALL of the strings first then, clean/oil the fretboard before installing a new set of strings.
As usual, YMMV!
Kirk

Ken Smith
03-31-2012, 12:20 AM
To just change strings, I do them one at a time. Period.

To clean the FB, if and when that's needed or polish the Frets as well, I take them all off, clean, polish, oil and re-string.

Unless you are leaving the Bass for a long time without strings, I don't touch the truss rod. IF, the TR in the neck is barely turned which is most of the time with the Basses I see, I don't even touch the Rod at all even if left unstrung for weeks or months.

If the Rod it turned quite tight, then I will loosen it to like straight'ish to avoid a back bow while the bass lays around for whatever reason.

Kirk P Brosius
04-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Hey all and Ken,

Thanks for the response. I'm on my fourth set of Ken's Compressors and, obviously, I really like them! I change them out about once every two years or so and I love the way the "take a set" after a few gigs and rehearsals. They are kind to the fretboard and easy on the fingers.
Until the next latest, greatest come out, I'll continue to ues these and change them out and include a fresboard clean and be happy!

Later, Kirk