PDA

View Full Version : What kind of amp do you guys play out of?

Pages : [1] 2

Desmund Nichols
01-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Hello all Ken Smith bass players. My question for all you talented bass players is what kind of amps do yall play your basses out of? I for one have an Eden head, with a Goliath III cab.

Ken Smith
01-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Under my Bench is an old SWR Redhead. It is actually serial no. 48 from 1988. I sent it back to SWR several years ago to get something fixed and they ended up updating the entire amp to be more like the Redhead II. Also, we have an old Babyblue from when they first came out with it and that too was modded at SWR years ago. For gigs which I mainly do only on DB (upright) I use an EBS 15 Drome that I got from Brooklyn Gear.

That about sums up what I have and use personally..

John Crosley
01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
I currently play through an Ampeg BA115. It gets the job done for the most part. Especially running everything through the board. I've had it for about five and a half years. I want to enhance it with either a Sansamp or MXR M80. Eventually I would like to get the HP version. A little over twice the power, not such a strain on the speaker.

Greg Clinkingbeard
01-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm currently using a GK MB150S. Lots of power in a small package and I can get a neutral sound out of it. It works for me. Although there may be better amps out there, they wouldn't make me play any better. I'm working on that.

Desmund Nichols
01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
My main setup is my Ken Smith Black Tiger 5, an Eden Navigator preamp, Carvin 1000 watt power amp, Epifani UL410 cab. I just bought the Epifani because of the transportation. My other cab is a SWR Goliath III, that stays in my room right now because its too heavy for me to carry (im only 5'10 140 lbs) and I use my Epifani because its louder. I play at church and I do a lot of traveling with the church, so I use my Epifani, but when I decide to settle down in church, ima use my Goliath. It is just gonna sit there because I wont need to carry it. I also have a MIDI system that I never use becasue I am missing a pickup. And I dont want to damage my Smith trying to install another pickup.

Bob Faulkner
01-22-2007, 11:21 AM
I run through a Peavey Firebass 700 II head driving Peavey 810TVX (8x10") and Peavey 215D-BW (2x15") cabs.

Frank Richards I
01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Trace Elliot Amps since 1987 exclusively, Ampeg PR 410 HLF's, PR1832 HE's, PR 115 HE's. Oh yeah, and that old Peavey Mark IV. Just for kicks ...

Fred DelSignore
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a couple of amps. I have an iAmp 500 and a Wizzy cab. I also have an Epifani UL110 and PS112 cabs. I still have my trusty WW M-100 head that I bought from Walter back in '84.

Alejandro Zorrilla
01-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Well I´m currently using a Gallien Krueger MBS head with a 2x10 made with eminence speakers. Gets coole tone but lacks of very high power... its only 150 watts @4ohms

Then for small rehersals I use a Ibanez 25W lol Its amazing what 25w can do.:rolleyes:

Tom Martin
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
I also use a Peavey Mark IV driving a couple of old Ampeg 15" speakers
in their original cab. Also have a Polytone Mini Brute for lower volume gigs.

Jason Mendelson
01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
SWR Super Redhead...

Its from the first year they had the vent port under the woofers on the front...

Paul Phillips
01-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Currently im using a Ampeg pro3 and a Eden xlt 410 for my larger gig`s and a Genz Benz ml200 combo for smaller gig`s! I also have a older SWR Bassic Black with Swr single 15 cab, they are currently my end tables for now!!!:D

Bill Doss
01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
After trying out a bunch of amps and cabs, I settled on a GK 1001RB with a couple of GK Neo 212 cabs or Avatar 210 Neo (great cab BTW). This set up is light, loud, and very clean sounding.

Vernon Craig
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm currently running an Epifani Quest II Pre, a Stew 1.2 (I had a Crest CA9, but that thing is SOOOO heavy.... had to go lighter...) into a pair of Epifani T112's (not the UL's... they have no booty to my ears...)

I would like to upgrade the pre to a Millennia STT... but the delta in price and improvement in a live sound situation makes it a moot exercise.

I AM going ot get a pair of 8 Ohm SWR Goliath 3's or a pair of old style Berg 310's... I need big rig capability....

Jeroen Herlaar
02-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Hello all Ken Smith bass players. My question for all you talented bass players is what kind of amps do yall play your basses out of? I for one have an Eden head, with a Goliath III cab.

This is my rig:

Ken Smith BSR6MW
QSC RMX 2450
ADA MB-1
EBS-1V2
Rocktron Intellifex
Schroeder 1212L
Schroeder 21012L

A BSR6MW fretless is in the making...... :D

Albert Smith
02-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Hey my fellow bottom-lovers, my choice of Bass is exclusevely Smith, I've played through many different heads and cabinets, but ultamately fell in love with the warmth and overall sound of the "Classic" series head and cabinets from "AMPEG". I've never heard the richness and smoothness from any other Bass-Cab combo I own the SVT Classic all tube 300 watt bass head, which I run through a SVT-810 cab "The Truth" (old school players call it the Motown sound) when I play gigs outside of my church I use my SVT-410HLF it's easier to travel with without losing the tone and bottom. check out the pics.

David Powell
02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Before you can know how good your electric bass can sound, it has to be run through a really good amp. Playing a Smith or other boutique bass through a rough amp is kind of a waste of the bass. I prefer Ampeg stuff. I use a Portabass 800 with a PB212H cab. The head is great and really delivers the full tone of my basses better than anything else I've tried them thru. The cab is so colorless and even that it is hard to tell a recording from the head direct out from a recording off of the cabinet with a high quality mic. I am able to run the EQ flat on this setup and just work the tone out from the bass. An upside to the Portabass series is relatively light weight compared to Ampegs older style heads and cabinets. There doesn't seem to be any compromise in the quality of the sound.

Kraig Gregory
02-18-2007, 07:35 AM
I am pretty simple and straight forward:

Epifani 4X10 cabinet
Stewart 2.1 World Amp
Demeter 1.5 space pre-amp (Set pretty flat with scooped mids).

I love my cabinet and pre-amp. I love the weight of the world amp, but may go all tube in the future, but the sound to weight trade off is something I have to get use too.

I play Gospel, Contemporary Jazz, an some R&B.

Kraig

Albert Smith
02-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I am pretty simple and straight forward:

Epifani 4X10 cabinet
Stewart 2.1 World Amp
Demeter 1.5 space pre-amp (Set pretty flat with scooped mids).

I love my cabinet and pre-amp. I love the weight of the world amp, but may go all tube in the future, but the sound to weight trade off is something I have to get use too.

I play Gospel, Contemporary Jazz, an some R&B.

Kraig
Kraig , do you have any photos of your rig?

Andy Robertson
02-21-2007, 06:46 PM
I use the Eden gear. At present I am using the WT800 amp and one or two D410XLT cabs depending on the size of the gig. My main bass is one of Ken's very finely crafted Black Tiger Elite's (6 string). Its a beautiful piece to play. (aren't all smith basses though??) I also have one of the Proto-J 5 strings, very nice for the funk! Both these basses sound great through the Eden gear, lovely and warm and the 'snap' is still there when I get my thumb out! :D

www.myspace.com/lordofthelowfrequency

Steve_M
02-24-2007, 03:46 AM
I'm heartened to see so many players using solid state kit. I have a DVD compilation of soul bands on the Later With Jools Holland show screened here in the UK and all the Smith players are using SWR or Aguilar.

I've had issues with SWR and Eden heads (apart from the WT400) because they both have moderate scoops in the upper mids to my ears which means I can't hear the pitch very well. I also went through a crazy phase which resulted in me putting together this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Boogiestereorigweb.jpg

It weighed about 45kg and I thought it was the b*ll*x until I actually had to lift it upstairs to the first gig I had with my current band. Suffice to say it left me a broken man! :D So I sold the Trace Elliot MP-11 and the Strategy now powers my hifi :D.

Later I also sold the Eden WT800...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/DSCF0276.jpg

and bought...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Amps%20and%20effects/DSCF0399-1.jpg

...a pair of Gallien Krueger RB700 1x15 combos.

I know this isn't the first choice of soul/RnB bass players but I played an RB400 combo at a venue once and it was a complete revelation. I could hear the thup of my fingers leaving the strings and the fretless just filled the room with mwah. Can I say 'love at first sight?'

The one thing that made the GK amps shine was taht they didn't exhibit an upper mid dip or any kind of extreme colouring. I've found there are so many amps out there that are coloured to make jazz basses sound better (Mark bass and SWR heads for example) and I'm happy that GK aren't like that. If anything, their colouring is upper mid focussed which helps with pitching on the Smith fretless tremendously. I can also use my other basses through the amps without feeling like I've sacrificed anything in getting an amp that works well with the Smiths. I can't say the same for those amps that are coloured for jazz basses.

I also have a pair of old valve Burman Pro4000 70's heads which I love playing the Smiths through and the Boogie Bass400+ was also superb. I also got good results from an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 once. Valves seem to compliment the fatness of Smith basses nicely - almost in the same way as with my old Musicman basses.

But because I play mostly small-medium gigs in the city and parking/unloading can be a total nightmare. There are occasions I can't face carrying a 25kg head all the way from the car up/down a flight of narrow stairs to a venue. At least the RB700 combos I use have wheels and a load of handles even if they weigh the same.

Tim Bishop
02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Amp's/Cab's used:

QSC PLX 3602 w/Alembic F2B Pre-amp

Eden Amp's: WT800, WT550, WT400
Eden Cab's: 210XST, 410XLT, and 115XLT

Ampeg Amp: SVT III Pro
Ampeg Cag: 610HLF

Gareth Morgan
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi folks

I mix and match...

Small gigs: Epifani PS600 > one Epifani PS112

Medium gigs: Epifani PS600 > two Epifani PS112s

Large gigs: Epifani Quest > Peavey DPC1400X > Epifani T212 (original side by side version). Usually bridged to put 1400 watts into the cab!

VERY large gigs: Quest > Peavey > T212 on one side of the amp and the two PS112s on the other side. 700 watts a side.

What can I say.... I like Epifani :D

Cheers

Gareth

Albert Smith
03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm showcasing my actual rig in this post, my previous post on this thread has the illustrations from Ampeg.
The photo is of the Ampeg SVT Classic 300 Watt all tube head, the SVT Classic 810E bass cab and the 410HLF bass cab.
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1074/smallrigre4.jpg

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 01:06 AM
That's a good set-up Albert. Do you run direct? I use to use the 410HLF (nice cab) but ended up upgrading to the 610HLF only because it carried more weight in the house mix.

Albert Smith
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
That's a good set-up Albert. Do you run direct? I use to use the 410HLF (nice cab) but ended up upgrading to the 610HLF only because it carried more weight in the house mix.

Thank you Tim, it took me a while to put this together. I played through numerous combinations of heads and cabinets before settling down with the Ampeg rig. But to answer your question I do run direct, but do you have any suggestions, I'm always inquisitive when it comes to fine tuning my sound.

Bob Faulkner
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
since we're posting pics of our rigs:

http://www.delusionalmind.com/equip/bob_amp_cabs_021107.jpg

Tim Bishop
03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, when it comes to bass, you can NEVER have enough headroom!

At church I currently use my Eden WT-550 as a DI (no cab; don't need it; will explain later). IMO, this gives the Sound-man all he needs for bass (post EQ) and with us being on Avioms, keeps the stage volume controlled.

We are all on Avioms and in-ears. Our Worship Leader, Drummer, and myself went to an audiologist and had ear molds made for custom fitted in-ears made by Ultimate Ears. Everyone else uses Shure E5's.

I never thought I would be able to break away from my on-stage rig, however, with a little work, I have grown to adapt to the in-ears and the convenience you get with Avioms: I love mixing what I want to hear in my ear and not having to fight to get the attention of the Sound-man to attend to my needs. More importantly, I love not having to carry all that weight with the "big rig".

Now don't get me wrong, where the convenience of Avioms, great sound system, a Sound-man with an ear, etc. are not available, my newest favorite rig is my QCS PLX3602 w/Alembic F2-B Pre-amp and whatever Eden Cabs I choose for the room.

The PLX3602 bridged into 4OHMS has an output of 3600W. While I may never use all that power, I will have all the headroom I will need and oh my, by far my favorite rig set-up!!! I've yet to hear anything that sounds this great! I still love my Eden and Amped rigs, however, can't touch this!

Roy Diza
03-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I go through a SWR Redhead with a Schroeder MINI12 extention cabinet. I also have an Ampeg SVT6Pro, which I'm in the market for a real good light weight cab I can match it with. Anybody have any suggestions?

Albert Smith
03-09-2007, 08:38 AM
I go through a SWR Redhead with a Schroeder MINI12 extention cabinet. I also have an Ampeg SVT6Pro, which I'm in the market for a real good light weight cab I can match it with. Anybody have any suggestions?

Match it to the Ampeg Classic Series 410HLF I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Bill Bernhard
03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm heartened to see so many players using solid state kit. I have a DVD compilation of soul bands on the Later With Jools Holland show screened here in the UK and all the Smith players are using SWR or Aguilar.

I've had issues with SWR and Eden heads (apart from the WT400) because they both have moderate scoops in the upper mids to my ears which means I can't hear the pitch very well. I also went through a crazy phase which resulted in me putting together this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Boogiestereorigweb.jpg

It weighed about 45kg and I thought it was the b*ll*x until I actually had to lift it upstairs to the first gig I had with my current band. Suffice to say it left me a broken man! :D So I sold the Trace Elliot MP-11 and the Strategy now powers my hifi :D.

Later I also sold the Eden WT800...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/DSCF0276.jpg

and bought...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/crazykiwibass/Amps%20and%20effects/DSCF0399-1.jpg

...a pair of Gallien Krueger RB700 1x15 combos.

I know this isn't the first choice of soul/RnB bass players but I played an RB400 combo at a venue once and it was a complete revelation. I could hear the thup of my fingers leaving the strings and the fretless just filled the room with mwah. Can I say 'love at first sight?'

The one thing that made the GK amps shine was taht they didn't exhibit an upper mid dip or any kind of extreme colouring. I've found there are so many amps out there that are coloured to make jazz basses sound better (Mark bass and SWR heads for example) and I'm happy that GK aren't like that. If anything, their colouring is upper mid focussed which helps with pitching on the Smith fretless tremendously. I can also use my other basses through the amps without feeling like I've sacrificed anything in getting an amp that works well with the Smiths. I can't say the same for those amps that are coloured for jazz basses.

I also have a pair of old valve Burman Pro4000 70's heads which I love playing the Smiths through and the Boogie Bass400+ was also superb. I also got good results from an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 once. Valves seem to compliment the fatness of Smith basses nicely - almost in the same way as with my old Musicman basses.

But because I play mostly small-medium gigs in the city and parking/unloading can be a total nightmare. There are occasions I can't face carrying a 25kg head all the way from the car up/down a flight of narrow stairs to a venue. At least the RB700 combos I use have wheels and a load of handles even if they weigh the same.

Is that a Yamaha E1005 ****og Delay in the rack? I've had one since the late '70's, I think it's one of the best fretless sweeteners there is. I haven't found anything I like as much. I'm too lazy to take it out to gigs anymore, but I do miss it.

Anyhow, I'm currently in love with amp modeling, Line 6 Bass Pod Live, and a variety of power amps and cabinets depending on venue. These are for stage monitoring, POD goes to FOH.
Bill

Steve_M
03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Is that a Yamaha E1005 ****og Delay in the rack? I've had one since the late '70's, I think it's one of the best fretless sweeteners there is. I haven't found anything I like as much. I'm too lazy to take it out to gigs anymore, but I do miss it.

Hi Bill, it certainly is a Yammy E1005 :)

A certain Mr Mark King used its later cousin the E1010 when he was with the original Level 42. I bought mine originally just for kicks when I run my Jaydee Supernatural with one side dry and one side wet (similar to the Roland JC120 Chorus guitar amp) its lush sounding.

I have to be careful when I use it with the Smith fretless because it does boost a select band of lower mids a little too much, but with my Pentabuzz its lush. Nice old school warm ****ogue sound. I'd like to get my hands on a E1010 at some point as it has rack ears but I've seen a couple go for startling amounts on Ebay since Christmas...

Glenn DiTommaso
03-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Depending on the gig, it's either this:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/gsdito/WW-UL112.jpg

Walter Woods "Sweeper" (1993) and Epifani UL112

or this:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/gsdito/UL502_cabs.jpg

Epifani UL502 with UL210 and T115

Roy Diza
03-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Match it to the Ampeg Classic Series 410HLF I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Are those pretty light weight? I would be nice to have something less than 40lbs, considering the SVTPro6 is about 40 lbs already.

Albert Smith
03-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Are those pretty light weight? I would be nice to have something less than 40lbs, considering the SVTPro6 is about 40 lbs already.

Actually the 410HLF isn't bad weight wise, I find it fairly easy to lug around for the smaller gigs. It has a built in tow bar and industrial size wheels to aide in transporting.

Albert Smith
03-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Depending on the gig, it's either this:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/gsdito/WW-UL112.jpg

Walter Woods "Sweeper" (1993) and Epifani UL112

or this:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/gsdito/UL502_cabs.jpg

Epifani UL502 with UL210 and T115

Glen, could you explain what it is about the Epifani sound that has obvious got you hooked on their line of bass cabs?

Tim Bishop
03-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Before you can know how good your electric bass can sound, it has to be run through a really good amp.

Mmmm, not necessarily. Sometime just playing the bass unplugged and allowing the ear to hear what the woods contribute is a great starting point. Then (provided the electronics are top notch) everything else is just icing on the cake; that is if the Amp. and Cabs. are sweet enough. ;)

Ronson Hall
03-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Glen, could you explain what it is about the Epifani sound that has obvious got you hooked on their line of bass cabs?

Al, you read my mind! Since signing up here I've read (and seen) many of the guys here lauding Epifani gear.

I'm down here in San Antonio, and haven't seen or heard it, but I'm thinking it must be good for all of these fellas to be preaching about it (we're mostly Eden, SWR, Ampeg folks down here)! Now, I know a couple of associates who use Bergantino gear. What do ya'll know about Bergantino?

Roy Diza
03-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Actually the 410HLF isn't bad weight wise, I find it fairly easy to lug around for the smaller gigs. It has a built in tow bar and industrial size wheels to aide in transporting.

Are you serious? LOL. Probably a wire harness for the breaklights also :rolleyes:

Albert Smith
03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Are you serious? LOL. Probably a wire harness for the breaklights also :rolleyes:

I'm very serious, its not as heavy as people think and the sound is out of this world.

Tim Bishop
03-11-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm very serious, its not as heavy as people think and the sound is out of this world.

The Ampeg 410HLF is a good little cabinet for sure. With a 500W RMS rating and 48Hz-18KHz Frequency Response it can pump. It does weigh 110lbs and has great wheels and tow bar; just be prepared to bend over to pull it though as it is a low profile cab.

If you want a GREAT cabinet with half the weight, go with the Eden 210XST. At 59lbs, 30Hz-14KHz and 500W Power Handling, you cannot beat it. I would challenge anyone to give it a shot, just aint gonna happen, I promise.;)

Tim Bishop
03-11-2007, 07:39 AM

Eden 210XST.

Glenn DiTommaso
03-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Well, I did try (and have owned) a number of different amps and cabs over the years (most recently a Trace Elliot rig from the early 90s), but I guess the main reason I went with the Epifani cabs is because they have been the only ones (to me) that reproduce the same bass sound that I hear in my head. It's hard to describe with words. They just have the tone that I like, especially with the Smith basses. To my ears, the T115 with the UL210 and the 502 amp reproduces that tone I've always wanted to hear. The T115 is a little bit heavy, but the UL series cabs are so easy to move, which is a plus.

There are a lot of great cabs available from many high quality builders, and to say which is better or worse (to me) is pointless, because it's whatever works best for the individual player. I've found that the Epifani line just speaks to me. The Walter Woods with the UL112 is a great compact rig, although I've read that some don't like the WW amps with the UL cabs. Again, all very subjective, but it works well for me.

Albert Smith
03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Being that I utilize the Ampeg SVT Classic all Tube Bass head I thought it wise to invest in a back-up head, for the times I need to have my tube head serviced. I decided on the Ampeg B2RE.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/7492/b2roh3.jpg

The Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head cranks out 450W of solid state thunder at 4 ohms, 250W at 8 ohms. 3-band rotary and 9-band graphic equalizers let you hone in on the perfect sound for your style. 1/4" and Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, XLR balanced line out, preamp out/power amp in jacks, and effects loop. And don't forget that killer Ampeg tone!
Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Features:
450W @ 4 ohms, 250W @ 8 ohms
3-band rotary EQ
9-band graphic EQ
-15dB input pad
Neutrik Speakon and 1/4" speaker outs
Preamp out/power amp in
XLR balanced line out
Effects loop

Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Specifications:
19"D x 3-1/2"H x 15"D
26 lbs.

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Being that I utilize the Ampeg SVT Classic all Tube Bass head I thought it wise to invest in a back-up head, for the times I need to have my tube head serviced. I decided on the Ampeg B2RE.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/7492/b2roh3.jpg

The Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head cranks out 450W of solid state thunder at 4 ohms, 250W at 8 ohms. 3-band rotary and 9-band graphic equalizers let you hone in on the perfect sound for your style. 1/4" and Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, XLR balanced line out, preamp out/power amp in jacks, and effects loop. And don't forget that killer Ampeg tone!
Ampeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Features:
450W @ 4 ohms, 250W @ 8 ohms
3-band rotary EQ
9-band graphic EQ
-15dB input pad
Neutrik Speakon and 1/4" speaker outs
Preamp out/power amp in
XLR balanced line out
Effects loopAmpeg B2RE Rack Bass Head Specifications:
19"D x 3-1/2"H x 15"D
26 lbs.

Albert, I'm curious, on your Ampegs (ID which one), do you have a Line Output Level control? If so and if you use it, how effective/strong is that signal +/- Adj. to the house running an XLR Line Out?

On my SVT III Pro head, the Line Output Level IMO is weak at best. For the sake of comparison, my Eden heads have an Output Level send and they are anything but weak! XLR sends out of the back of these amps with any +/- adjustment to Output Level is significant (pre or post EQ)!

What has your experience been with the Ampegs?

Albert Smith
03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Albert, I'm curious, on your Ampegs (ID which one), do you have a Line Output Level control? If so and if you use it, how effective/strong is that signal +/- Adj. to the house running an XLR Line Out?

On my SVT III Pro head, the Line Output Level IMO is weak at best. For the sake of comparison, my Eden heads have an Output Level send and they are anything but weak! XLR sends out of the back of these amps with any +/- adjustment to Output Level is significant (pre or post EQ)!

I mainly run stock, meaning I never run through the house system or even a stationary board. My reasoning for this currently is because the board we have at our church and the speaker system installed is shall I say less than desirable, so I mainly run direct. Sorry my friend.:o

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
I mainly run stock, meaning I never run through the house system or even a stationary board. My reasoning for this currently is because the board we have at our church and the speaker system installed is shall I say less than desirable, so I mainly run direct. Sorry my friend.:o

I'm confused. You said you "never run through the house" but then say you say you "mainly run direct"??? :confused: If you are running "direct" than I would interpret that to be, running out (i.e. XLR out) to the house.

I think what I am hearing you say is that, you let the Cab carry the house, correct?

Albert Smith
03-14-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm confused. You said you "never run through the house" but then say you say you "mainly run direct"??? :confused: If you are running "direct" than I would interpret that to be, running out (i.e. XLR out) to the house.

I think what I am hearing you say is that, you let the Cab carry the house, correct?

No sir, not at all I must be more specific when I'm speaking with my brother who is so techno literate, in essence I run directly from my axe into my SVT Classic Bass head into my Bass cabs.:rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 06:09 PM
No sir, not at all I must be more specific when I'm speaking with my brother who is so techno literate, in essence I run directly from my axe into my SVT Classic Bass head into my Bass cabs.:rolleyes:

Ok, I think we are on the same page now. If you ever get a chance to run XLR out to the house, please let me know how strong the Output Level send is out of the Ampeg. ;)

Albert Smith
03-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Ok, I think we are on the same page now. If you ever get a chance to run XLR out to the house, please let me know how strong the Output Level send is out of the Ampeg. ;)

No question consider it done, I'm hoping that our place of worship upgrades it's sound system this year. It really needs to the equipment isn't really that bad, it's just the way it's currently arraigned that's not appealing sound wise to me. Oh by the way here's a shot of my 6 string Kens currently repairing the neck on, I coped this off of eBay but it had some neck issues. I'm praying Ken can restore it without destroying my wallet. LOL

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7771/lilalik4.jpg

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 07:08 PM
No question consider it done, I'm hoping that our place of worship upgrades it's sound system this year. It really needs to the equipment isn't really that bad, it's just the way it's currently arraigned that's not appealing sound wise to me. Oh by the way here's a shot of my 6 string Kens currently repairing the neck on, I coped this off of eBay but it had some neck issues. I'm praying Ken can restore it without destroying my wallet. LOL

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7771/lilalik4.jpg

The 6 looks like a 6MW (looks like Ebony front with a Tiger Maple Core - if so, nice wood choice!). What was wrong with the neck? At any rate, you can count on a top-notch job from Ken at a fair price. ;)

Albert Smith
03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
The 6 looks like a 6MW (looks like Ebony front with a Tiger Maple Core - if so, nice wood choice!). What was wrong with the neck? At any rate, you can count on a top-notch job from Ken at a fair price. ;)

The 6 is a CR6 my brother, I know Ken will take good care of the neck for me and my wallet. Hey you get what you pay for and I want my 6 bumpin, so I got to pay the price. The neck had a broken truss rod and the frets were worn down due to someone inadvertently attempting to adjust the neck not realizing the truss rod was not reacting properly.:cool:

Tim Bishop
03-14-2007, 08:47 PM
The 6 is a CR6 my brother, I know Ken will take good care of the neck for me and my wallet. Hey you get what you pay for and I want my 6 bumpin, so I got to pay the price. The neck had a broken truss rod and the frets were worn down due to someone inadvertently attempting to adjust the neck not realizing the truss rod was not reacting properly.:cool:

Ken can handle this just fine. Just let him do what he needs to do and when you get it back, it will play like a new bass. :D

Willie Williams
03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
I mainly play Contemporary Gospel. The rig I leave at church is a Thunderfunk head and a Bergantino Ht-322 cabinet. I also have a Walter Woods high power stereo head and another Ht-322. Because my church is not in the best neighborhood I prefer not to leave the Walter Woods there. (Yes in Cleveland Ohio some sick people do break into churches.)

Tim Bishop
03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I mainly play Contemporary Gospel. The rig I leave at church is a Thunderfunk head and a Bergantino Ht-322 cabinet. I also have a Walter Woods high power stereo head and another Ht-322. Because my church is not in the best neighborhood I prefer not to leave the Walter Woods there. (Yes in Cleveland Ohio some sick people do break into churches.)

Hi Willie, by the way, I am actually from Dayton, Ohio. :eek:

I would never leave my gear any place I played. Unfortunetly, there are thieves all around us, inside and outside of Church, but you are among the wiser to protect your gear accordingly. ;)

Gareth Morgan
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I used to use this:

http://www.btinternet.com/~garethandsteph/lulworthrig.JPG

But I have recently gone to this as a more versatile, lighter, simpler rig:

http://www.btinternet.com/~garethandsteph/PICT2101.JPG

Still Epifani though - won't use anything else now.

Cheers

Gareth

Bob Faulkner
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Nice rig, but man I love that quilt!

Gareth Morgan
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Nice rig, but man I love that quilt!

I know. It's a stunning bass.

Christopher Rhodes
03-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I generally use the Alembic F1X preamp, but I also have a Trace Elliot V-Type pre amp. Both have that creamy tube tone. The V-types are underrated. For speakers, I use Bag End 2x10 and a 4x10 both with the coaxial speaker. For extra bottom I use a custom speaker Nahas - 1x15 and horn - wedge shape cabinet; and pointing directly up at me - like a monitor speaker - but for the bass!

Once in a while I connect them all together - spread the all over the room with long cablies - it's just too much - and it sounds so full and clean. I got that multiple speaker idea from and old guitar-player magazine article form 1983 - multiple speakers really works well for balancing out the sound of the bass - if you are not going through the PA.

Albert Smith
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I generally use the Alembic F1X preamp, but I also have a Trace Elliot V-Type pre amp. Both have that creamy tube tone. The V-types are underrated. For speakers, I use Bag End 2x10 and a 4x10 both with the coaxial speaker. For extra bottom I use a custom speaker Nahas - 1x15 and horn - wedge shape cabinet; and pointing directly up at me - like a monitor speaker - but for the bass!

Once in a while I connect them all together - spread the all over the room with long cablies - it's just too much - and it sounds so full and clean. I got that multiple speaker idea from and old guitar-player magazine article form 1983 - multiple speakers really works well for balancing out the sound of the bass - if you are not going through the PA.

Chris, that's HOT, I like that idea of the multiple speakers I got to try that out. Your avatar photo, what type of Bass is that? I know its at least a 6 or is it a 7.
Al Smith

Christopher Rhodes
03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Al, that is "THE" bass! Just sitting on the stand - many people look and go --- "oohhhh".

The MD-7 is a heavy bass also. Luckily I can strap her on and play a few tunes - easily. Big Shoulders!

You can hear the tone of this bass well in the below video link.

Here is a youtube.com video link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgYJbwvmkms

Bob Faulkner
03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
You have to be careful with spreading out your speakers. You can wind up really messing up the sound distribution in the room due to phase interference from the different speaker distances.

Albert Smith
03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Al, that is "THE" bass! Just sitting on the stand - many people look and go --- "oohhhh".

The MD-7 is a heavy bass also. Luckily I can strap her on and play a few tunes - easily. Big Shoulders!

Chris, that was on point, great video it looks as though you and your group were having fun. Great groove.
Al:cool:

Mike Smith
03-23-2007, 03:33 PM

I couldn't help but notice the drummer toss a stick up in the air around 1:08 :p Good recovery though ;) he was not even phased by it :D

Bob Faulkner
03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow, I didn't even notice that.. you're right.. that was a good recovery.. he never even wavered on the timing while he was fishing out a replacement. That's a pro drummer there man..

Albert Smith
04-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Does anyone on the board play out of the new Aguilar 810 cabinets?
I've heard good things about the clarity and over all tone produced by the cab, some people are rating it a close second to the Ampeg 810E.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1386/svt810elgwv1.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9189/aguilardb810grnlf2.jpg

BobWankowski
04-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Euphonic Audio iAMP-600 Head
Avalon U5
(For recording and I sometimes use as a pre for the iAMP power section)
Euphonic Audio VL-210 Cab
Euphonic Audio VL-110 Cab x2
Gramma Platform

Been a great match for everything I plug in and the Smith's sound superb through it.

Albert Smith
04-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Tim, I finally got the opportunity to run out of my SVT Classic XLR jack, which is my preamp output. I ran it to through the house system at the church we visited last Thursday evening. It was anything but weak, no problem with output.

Tim Bishop
04-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Tim, I finally got the opportunity to run out of my SVT Classic XLR jack, which is my preamp output. I ran it to through the house system at the church we visited last Thursday evening. It was anything but weak, no problem with output.

Hmmmm, so, on the SVT Classic, I would assume there is no output level control, just the XLR out? :confused: If this is the case, we are comparing apples to oranges. I was hoping your other Ampeg amp would have a similar output control as my SVT III Pro.

Albert Smith
04-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Hmmmm, so, on the SVT Classic, I would assume there is no output level control, just the XLR out? :confused: If this is the case, we are comparing apples to oranges. I was hoping your other Ampeg amp would have a similar output control as my SVT III Pro.

That's correct my brother, you have the Pro-Series same as Vic-Woo (big dollar-bill) your equipment is the state of the art, I have the classic joints with the Motown sound, two different flavors my brother.:cool:

Bill Doss
04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Al,

I just picked up a DB 410 Monster Green. I compare it to the Ampeg 410 Hlf - but with more clarity. It is very loud and has very good presence in the room. I especialy like the size since I do not have a truck to haul cabs around. I can see the comparison between both 810 cabs.

Hope it helps!

Bill Doss

Albert Smith
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Al,

I just picked up a DB 410 Monster Green. I compare it to the Ampeg 410 Hlf - but with more clarity. It is very loud and has very good presence in the room. I especially like the size since I do not have a truck to haul cabs around. I can see the comparison between both 810 cabs.

Hope it helps!

Bill Doss

Thanks Bill, for your response, my question to you though is when you say more clarity then the SVT410HLF are you referring to the low end or the high end of the spectrum? I personally have not played through the DB 410 so I cant be objective on this one, but I do play through the Ampegs daily.

Bill Doss
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks Bill, for your response, my question to you though is when you say more clarity then the SVT410HLF are you referring to the low end or the high end of the spectrum? I personally have not played through the DB 410 so I cant be objective on this one, but I do play through the Ampegs daily.

Al,

I would say that the main diference in the low mids and lows. The DB is a little less boomy than the 410 Hlf, but more agressive sounding in the low mids. The very low frequencies are there but they are tighter than the ampeg.

My opinion is that Aguilar created these cabinets with the specific intent of winning over some Ampeg users. It is mainly a rock cabinet and not hi-fi sounding at all. I have used the GS series cabinets from Aguilar and the SVT 410 hlf. To my ears the DB has more in common with the ampeg than with its cousins.

BD

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Al,

I would say that the main diference in the low mids and lows. The DB is a little less boomy than the 410 Hlf, but more agressive sounding in the low mids. The very low frequencies are there but they are tighter than the ampeg.

My opinion is that Aguilar created these cabinets with the specific intent of winning over some Ampeg users. It is mainly a rock cabinet and not hi-fi sounding at all. I have used the GS series cabinets from Aguilar and the SVT 410 hlf. To my ears the DB has more in common with the ampeg than with its cousins.

BD

Bill, I would concur with your assessment of the 410HLF cabinet. I've used the 410, 610 and 810 as well. I currently have the 610HLF. Great cabs, just a different flavor.

Because I use Eden Cabs exclusively (any combination of the 210XST, 410XLT, or 115XLT), I have not found anything (at this time) that would warrant a change to a different Cab for me. I would rate the Eden Cabs as "among the best", if not THE best: The cleanest 30Hz-14KHz that's ever passed between my ears. ;)

Albert Smith
04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Bill, I would concur with your assessment of the 410HLF cabinet. I've used the 410, 610 and 810 as well. I currently have the 610HLF. Great cabs, just a different flavor.

Because I use Eden Cabs exclusively (any combination of the 210XST, 410XLT, or 115XLT), I have not found anything (at this time) that would warrant a change to a different Cab for me. I would rate the Eden Cabs as "among the best", if not THE best: The cleanest 30Hz-14KHz that's ever passed between my ears. ;)

Thank you both Bill and Tim for your expert opinions, I feel as though Tim really hit home with his ending comment. Its all about "What's Sounds Best in The Ear of The Bass Player", that's what ultimately determines what Bass or rig he/she plays, or plays through. If we all had the same exact equipment I can promise you we still wouldn't sound the same, nor would we want too. Everyone has a different "Flavor" sound, tweaking set-up that hopefully allows them to pronounce to the world what they hear in their respective heads. For me its Ken Smith Basses and Ampeg rigs.
God I love this forum its so cool to be able to agree to disagree and learn something in the interum.
Al :rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 08:48 AM

Of course the PLX3602 and F2-B Pre-amp helps a bit....:rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 08:54 AM

Of course the PLX3602 and F2-B Pre-amp helps a bit....:rolleyes:

Oh, and one more thing. I top that off with any one of my Smith's. :rolleyes:

Bill Doss
04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Thank you both Bill and Tim for your expert opinions, I feel as though Tim really hit home with his ending comment. Its all about "What's Sounds Best in The Ear of The Bass Player", that's what ultimately determines what Bass or rig he/she plays, or plays through. If we all had the same exact equipment I can promise you we still wouldn't sound the same, nor would we want too. Everyone has a different "Flavor" sound, tweaking set-up that hopefully allows them to pronounce to the world what they hear in their respective heads. For me its Ken Smith Basses and Ampeg rigs.
God I love this forum its so cool to be able to agree to disagree and learn something in the interum.
Al :rolleyes:

I agree. It is great to be able to discuss gear with such luxury of detail. If this forum was around years ago it would have saved me a lot of cash from buying stuff that for one reason or another did not do it for me.

Al, one more thing about the Aguilar cabient that i did not mention was that I was using an Aguilar Ag500 solid state head with my Fender jazz (stock). I have not played my Smith through it,as it is in Ken's shop being given some TLC. :D

Bill Doss
04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Oh, and one more thing. I top that off with any one of my Smith's. :rolleyes:

I agree!!!!!

Albert Smith
04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree. It is great to be able to discuss gear with such luxury of detail. If this forum was around years ago it would have saved me a lot of cash from buying stuff that for one reason or another did not do it for me.

Al, one more thing about the Aguilar cabient that i did not mention was that I was using an Aguilar Ag500 solid state head with my Fender jazz (stock). I have not played my Smith through it,as it is in Ken's shop being given some TLC. :D

Fender Jazz, really, might I ask what year and if its American or Mexican produced? It would over whelmingly seem as though the majority of the Bassist on this thread prefer the Aguilar and Epifani products. Indeed that makes a powerful statement, one would assume that their products are the ones (if your wallet can afford it) to acquire.
Al :cool:

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Fender Jazz, really, might I ask what year and if its American or Mexican produced? It would over whelmingly seem as though the majority of the Bassist on this thread prefer the Aguilar and Epifani products. Indeed that makes a powerful statement, one would assume that their products are the ones (if your wallet can afford it) to acquire.

"Overwhelming majority of the Bassist on this thread"? I'm counting a couple that use these cabs out of about 225 members of this Forum overall (maybe 1.5% of the total). Thats like comparing Apple to Microsoft. I would recommend getting a few more endorsements before making that call. ;)

Bill Doss
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Al,

My Jazz is a Mexican made with the usual upgrades (leo quan bridge, hipshot exteneder tuner. and new pick ups). It sounded better to me than the others and it was a lot cheaper than a US made even with the upgrades.

As to the Aguilar and Epifani comment, I would agree with Tim in saying that I do not see that many people using these brands in the forum. I see most players using Eden and power and preamp combinations than Aguilar or Epifani. As you said earlier, it is what sounds good to you that matters.

The Aguilar head works for me because it is a dual channel head with an overdrive channel that works very well for rock music (kind of a pushed Ampeg SVT sound)- and a very clean channel for everything else. I could probably do better with two preamp set ups - one dirt one clean- but that would be very heavy and inpractical. Also the Aguilar AG 500 is pretty loud (500 watts) and light (18LBS). So it is very practical in a lot of ways.

BD

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Al,

My Jazz is a Mexican made with the usual upgrades (leo quan bridge, hipshot exteneder tuner. and new pick ups). It sounded better to me than the others and it was a lot cheaper than a US made even with the upgrades.

As to the Aguilar and Epifani comment, I would agree with Tim in saying that I do not see that many people using these brands in the forum. I see most players using Eden and power and preamp combinations than Aguilar or Epifani. As you said earlier, it is what sounds good to you that matters.

The Aguilar head works for me because it is a dual channel head with an overdrive channel that works very well for rock music (kind of a pushed Ampeg SVT sound)- and a very clean channel for everything else. I could probably do better with two preamp set ups - one dirt one clean- but that would be very heavy and inpractical. Also the Aguilar AG 500 is pretty loud (500 watts) and light (18LBS). So it is very practical in a lot of ways.

BD

Bill, the only thing really lacking in the Mexican made Fenders is the electronics. Other than that, about the same. With the upgrades, replacing the pick-ups and $ savings; shows wisdom on your part! ;)

Albert Smith
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
"Overwhelming majority of the Bassist on this thread"? I'm counting a couple that use these cabs out of about 225 members of this Forum overall (maybe 1.5% of the total). Thats like comparing Apple to Microsoft. I would recommend getting a few more endorsements before making that call. ;)

Ouch, give a brother some slack, ok,ok I admit it I exaggerated the majority a bit. :o

Tim Bishop
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Ouch, give a brother some slack, ok,ok I admit it I exaggerated the majority a bit. :o

Sorry, no slack here. It's always better to under-exaggerate, or have the facts closer at hand! ;)

Steve_M
04-12-2007, 03:01 AM
There were a fair number of GK users at the start of this thread. I'm not a fan of Epifani. I've tried a couple of rigs and it simply wasn't crisp enough for my ears.

Albert Smith
04-12-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm sure some of you travel around as much as I do, and when I'm not able to get to my favorite Pro Shop in New Jersey( New Jersey Bass & Guitar Center) located in Edison NJ, I'd like to have a heads up on the best shops in your demographic area. So if you dont mind hit me off with your favorite spot to pick up the real deal in gear. Thanks

Tim Bishop
04-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm sure some of you travel around as much as I do, and when I'm not able to get to my favorite Pro Shop in New Jersey( New Jersey Bass & Guitar Center) located in Edison NJ, I'd like to have a heads up on the best shops in your demographic area. So if you dont mind hit me off with your favorite spot to pick up the real deal in gear. Thanks

Anyplace other than Guitar Center!

Ronson Hall
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Actually, I've had some great friends for years who run a music store called Century Music Systems here in San Antonio. They are good folks (Dale and Tommy & the gang), and they have access to anything you want, at a great price. The store has a great personal, family feel. If they don't have it (which they usually do), they'll get it quickly!

Currently, Al, if you want to get into some really serious gear specifically for the bass player, it's pretty convenient to drive 60 miles to Austin and vivst the Bass Emporium, and other great stores there.

After Ken talked about the advantages of George L instrument cables a few days ago (got one with my new Ken Smith, thank you!), I walked into Century Music to rent a keyboard for our Church Anniversary, and they were doing George L's in a big way. They make them to order right there on the spot. by the way, the George L tips are noticabally "better fitting" than the normal instrument cable tip! :cool:

Incidentally, Ken also sent me Al "The Burner" Turner's newest CD with my package. If you don't have it, you gotta hear it. Get it from Ken, and play it in your car. Al's bass solos are fantastic, and I've been practicing them on my new baby! :D

Albert Smith
04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Actually, I've had some great friends for years who run a music store called Century Music Systems here in San Antonio. They are good folks (Dale and Tommy & the gang), and they have access to anything you want, at a great price. The store has a great personal, family feel. If they don't have it (which they usually do), they'll get it quickly!

Currently, Al, if you want to get into some really serious gear specifically for the bass player, it's pretty convenient to drive 60 miles to Austin and vivst the Bass Emporium, and other great stores there.

After Ken talked about the advantages of George L instrument cables a few days ago (got one with my new Ken Smith, thank you!), I walked into Century Music to rent a keyboard for our Church Anniversary, and they were doing George L's in a big way. They make them to order right there on the spot. by the way, the George L tips are noticabally "better fitting" than the normal instrument cable tip! :cool:

Incidentally, Ken also sent me Al "The Burner" Turner's newest CD with my package. If you don't have it, you gotta hear it. Get it from Ken, and play it in your car. Al's bass solos are fantastic, and I've been practicing them on my new baby! :D

Ronson, thanks for the tip, and Tim I agree with you regarding anyplace but Guitar Center!!

Pim Zuurveld
04-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I use Trace Elliot Top, 1048 cabinet and a 15 inch cabinet. Lots of power to really extend the low B string...

love them

Albert Smith
04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I use Trace Elliot Top, 1048 cabinet and a 15 inch cabinet. Lots of power to really extend the low B string...

love them

Any chance of you posting a pic or two?
Thanks Al:cool:

Tamás Száva
04-23-2007, 09:21 AM
I use an EBS HD 350 head and an EBS 4x10 evolution pro line cabinet.
I love them. Really powerful with plenty of headroom. Con: cabinet is quite heavy (41 kg), but that's the price of great power handling capacity and conventional non-neodymium construction.

Tim Bishop
04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I use an EBS HD 350 head and an EBS 4x10 evolution pro line cabinet.
I love them. Really powerful with plenty of headroom. Con: cabinet is quite heavy (41 kg), but that's the price of great power handling capacity and conventional non-neodymium construction.

I played through this set-up (with the addition of the 2x10 cab) a couple of years ago. Great bass rig! ;)

Albert Smith
04-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I played through this set-up (with the addition of the 2x10 cab) a couple of years ago. Great bass rig! ;)

Tim, being that you have played through many different set-ups what would you consider your dream rig? and what are you currently playing through now?

Tim Bishop
04-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Tim, being that you have played through many different set-ups what would you consider your dream rig? and what are you currently playing through now?

Al, review and see posts #25 and #31 (among others) of this thread. :)

Tim Bishop
04-24-2007, 10:32 AM

I currently use my Eden WT-550 as a DI (no cab; don't need it; will explain later). IMO, this gives the Sound-man all he needs for bass (post EQ) and with us being on Avioms and fitted in-ears, keeps the stage volume controlled.

I never thought I would be able to break away from my on-stage rig, however, with a little work, I have grown to adapt to the in-ears and the convenience you get with Avioms: I love mixing what I want to hear in my ear and not having to fight to get the attention of the Sound-man to attend to what I need in the mix. More importantly, I love not having to carry all that weight with the "big rig". :D

Now, don't get me wrong, where the convenience of Avioms, great sound system, a Sound-man with an ear, etc. are not available, my newest favorite rig is my QSC PLX3602 w/Alembic F2-B Pre-amp and whatever Eden Cabs I choose for the venue.

The PLX3602 bridged into 4 ohms has an output of 3600W :eek: . While I may never use all that power, I will have all the headroom I'll ever need and oh my, by far my favorite rig set-up!!! I've yet to hear anything that compares!

I've played through many rigs and I still love my Eden rigs (among others), however, "can't touch this"! ;)

Albert Smith
04-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Thank You Tim, most informative!!!!!

Bill Doss
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Has anyone tried out Bag End's S15X-D cabs? I just picked one from another forum member and I am loving it! It is a 15 inch speaker with a coaxial tweeter in the middle of the speaker. I can't believe the SPL and presence that that little thing has.

Chris Holsopple
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
I tried alot of different stuff early on, but ended up with SWR cabs in the early 90's with Crest power and an Ampeg SVT Pro preamp. However, I had driver issues with the SWR cabs.
So in '95 I went to Rockvale Music in MD and walked outta there with 2 Eden 118XL's, a 410XLT and a D210 (later replaced with a 210XLT) and a Navigator preamp was added 2 years later. I've never looked back....

I have never had an issue with the Eden cabs until recently. Both 10's in the 210XLT are creased where the cone joins the surrounds- over excurtion. Says alot for the voice coils- the cones are tearing themselves apart, but there is no voice coil rub. They are starting to sound a bit funky.... not in a good way kinda funky, either. Time for reconing. It's by no fault of the speakers, tho. I've pounded the livin' daylights out of these cabs and they just keep coming back for more. I know they're not for everyone, but I love the sound.
Last year I got rid of the heavy Crest and went to a QSC PLX2402. Not bad at all, but I don't believe it has quite the oomph down below of the Crest. Especially when I drop the low 'B' to 'G#' :eek:

Chris

Darren Lipper
05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I have an Epifani 502UL head, and an Epifani 1x12UL and Epifani 1x10UL cabinet set up...

A very light weight, mass transportation-friendly set up lol!

Epifani stuff seems to allow the Smith tone (or any bass for that matter) shine...

Martin Duarte
05-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi,

I'm coming to the States on Monday and getting a new bass amp. I have a couple of options.

www.schroedercabinets.com (I get a discount there)

Suggest any more cabs please, if you can.

I was looking at
www.genzbenz.com GBE1200

or at www.ashdownmusic.com.uk Mark King, or some of the other options.
What heads do you suggest?

Thanks to everyone in advance,

Martin

Tim Bishop
05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I'm coming to the States on Monday and getting a new bass amp. I have a couple of options.

www.schroedercabinets.com (http://www.schroedercabinets.com) (I get a discount there)

I was looking at
www.genzbenz.com (http://www.genzbenz.com) GBE1200

or at www.ashdownmusic.com.uk (http://www.ashdownmusic.com.uk) Mark King, or some of the other options.

Martin

Martin, review and see posts #23 and #29 (among others of mine) of this thread. ;)

Tim Bishop
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Amp's/Cab's used:

QSC PLX 3602 w/Alembic F2B Pre-amp

Eden Amp's: WT800, WT550, WT400
Eden Cab's: 210XST, 410XLT, and 115XLT

Ampeg Amp: SVT III Pro
Ampeg Cag: 610HLF

At church I currently use my Eden WT-550 as a DI (no cab; don't need it; will explain later). IMO, this gives the Sound-man all he needs for bass (post EQ) and with us being on Avioms, keeps the stage volume controlled.

We are all on Avioms and in-ears. Our Worship Leader, Drummer, and myself went to an audiologist and had ear molds made for custom fitted in-ears made by Ultimate Ears. Everyone else uses Shure E5's.

I never thought I would be able to break away from my on-stage rig, however, with a little work, I have grown to adapt to the in-ears and the convenience you get with Avioms: I love mixing what I want to hear in my ear and not having to fight to get the attention of the Sound-man to attend to my needs. More importantly, I love not having to carry all that weight with the "big rig".

Now don't get me wrong, where the convenience of Avioms, great sound system, a Sound-man with an ear, etc. are not available, my newest favorite rig is my QCS PLX3602 w/Alembic F2-B Pre-amp and whatever Eden Cabs I choose for the room.

The PLX3602 bridged into 4OHMS has an output of 3600W. While I may never use all that power, I will have all the headroom I will need and oh my, by far my favorite rig set-up!!! I've yet to hear anything that sounds this great! I still love my Eden and Amped rigs, however, can't touch this!

Martin, review and see posts #23 and #29 (among others of mine) of this thread. ;)

Or, see my quotes above. :D

Tim Pruitt
05-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Eden WT405 through a Avatar 112 cab. Awesome sound.
I have played through alot of medium priced rigs at church. Most people, musicians in the service, would complain about my sound lacking or not cutting through. The first time I set this rig up everyone came up and had compliments. They were finally able to hear.
The funny thing my volume was no louder than with this setup than with any other setup.

Dennis Michaels
06-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I use Eden period. My rig consist of the following mixxed and matched depending on the situation.
WT550
WT400
WT1000 (with WT400 as the preamp)
210XST 4 ohm
dual 212XLT 4 ohm
112XLT

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/Fretlessboy/IMG_0957.jpg

Steve_M
06-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi,

www.schroedercabinets.com (http://www.schroedercabinets.com) (I get a discount there)

I was looking at
www.genzbenz.com (http://www.genzbenz.com) GBE1200

or at www.ashdownmusic.com.uk (http://www.ashdownmusic.com.uk) Mark King, or some of the other options.

Martin

Martin, I can only speak for myself on this but I've found Smiths have an inheret 'desk friendly' upper mid scoop which I've discovered is shared by Eden and SWR amps to the point when I'm playing live the upper mids are so scooped that I can't actually hear the pitch of the note I'm playing or get a comfortable sound when I eq.

Thats what led me to sell my Eden WT800. Instead I've gone with a pure solid state set up which works wonderfully. With many other basses the set up would sound harsh but with the warm and mellow character of Smiths it works out great. Loads of power, presence and I can actually hear myself clearly. If I want to use the solid state rig with another bass, I have a prototype DHA tube compressor pedal which mellows the other basses out nicely and fattens them up.

Schroeders could work out nicely for you as cabs as they are reputed to be mid-prominent. I can't speak for Genz Benz but I've heard lots of good things said about Bergantino cabs also. Personally I would probably go for a Glockenklang set up myself, they have an outstanding reputation for clarity and build quality - they' re made in Germany also ;) so less hassle with importing.

This post might perhaps be a little late however?

MattDenney
07-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Trace Elliot AH400SMX head, 1048 4x10 cab, 1153 1x15 cab, very early GP11 1x15 combo. Searching for more Trace goodies when I can afford too... :)

Bill Doss
07-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey guys,

So, I got a new rig and wanted to share my opinions with my fellow Smith fiends.

After being a long time Aguilar Ag500 and DB410 cab user and after battling the mids on that rig for way too long. I ended up buying a Schroeder 410R cabinet and pairing it with a Demeter VTBP201S preamp and a QSC PLX 3102. This thing is devastating! Seriously... it put to shame an Ampeg 8x10 in the live show punch and loudness department.

I have nothing but great things to say about Schroeder cabs. The 410R handles 1,600 watts RMS. I emailed Jorg Schroeder, the owner of teh company, and he recomended a power amp with at least 2,000 watts. He told me that he uses the QSC plx series and suggested that I give them a go. I did and was very impressed. I matched the amp/cab with the Demeter preamp and have a great sounding rig with up to 3,000watts of headroom.

I play both progressive heavy rock and clean r&b styles. This combination is perfect with my Smith and even with my Lakland Skyline 55-01.

Now, the cabinet is not as refined as lets say and accugroove when playing solo, but once you put it in a band context it really stands out. It cuts trough and has great, fat low end and punch.

Two thumbs up !!!!!:D

Tim Bishop
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey guys,

So, I got a new rig and wanted to share my opinions with my fellow Smith fiends.

After being a long time Aguilar Ag500 and DB410 cab user and after battling the mids on that rig for way too long. I ended up buying a Schroeder 410R cabinet and pairing it with a Demeter VTBP201S preamp and a QSC PLX 3102. This thing is devastating! Seriously... it put to shame an Ampeg 8x10 in the live show punch and loudness department.

I have nothing but great things to say about Schroeder cabs. The 410R handles 1,600 watts RMS. I emailed Jorg Schroeder, the owner of teh company, and he recomended a power amp with at least 2,000 watts. He told me that he uses the QSC plx series and suggested that I give them a go. I did and was very impressed. I matched the amp/cab with the Demeter preamp and have a great sounding rig with up to 3,000watts of headroom.

I play both progressive heavy rock and clean r&b styles. This combination is perfect with my Smith and even with my Lakland Skyline 55-01.

Now, the cabinet is not as refined as lets say and accugroove when playing solo, but once you put it in a band context it really stands out. It cuts trough and has great, fat low end and punch.

Two thumbs up !!!!!:D

I'm with ya on this one Bill! Two thumbs and two toes up!!!! Sounds like you have a great rig.

While I have not used Schroeder Cabs.........and as I have stated in this thread; my newest favorite rig is my QSC PLX3602 w/Alembic F2-B Pre-amp and whatever Eden Cabs I choose for the room.

"Devastating"?....to say the least!........

My PLX3602 bridged into 4ohms has an output of 3600W. While I may never use all that power, I will have all the headroom I will ever need and oh my, by far my favorite rig set-up!!! I've yet to hear anything that sounds this great! I still love my Eden and Ampeg rigs, however, can't touch this! ;) :) :D

Bill Doss
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm with ya on this one Bill! Two thumbs and two toes up!!!! Sounds like you have a great rig.

While I have not used Schroeder Cabs.........and as I have stated in this thread; my newest favorite rig is my QSC PLX3602 w/Alembic F2-B Pre-amp and whatever Eden Cabs I choose for the room.

"Devastating"?....to say the least!........

My PLX3602 bridged into 4ohms has an output of 3600W. While I may never use all that power, I will have all the headroom I will ever need and oh my, by far my favorite rig set-up!!! I've yet to hear anything that sounds this great! I still love my Eden and Amped rigs, however, can't touch this! ;) :) :D

Yes it is. I think this one is a keeper!

Egbert Reulen
07-30-2007, 07:17 AM
It was my wish to change my gear to a more low weight gear a few years ago.

Cabinets:
I made a switsh from 4x10 and 1x15 Glockenklang www.glockenklang.de (http://www.glockenklang.de) (Made in Germany) to Epifani 212 UL (4 Ohm) and 210 UL (8 Ohm) www.epifani.com (http://www.epifani.com)

Amp:
previus owned amp. set = Alembic F1-X and SF-2 as preamp and a Crown K1 (2x700 Watt) power-amp.
Now I use a Epifani Quest II with footboard switch for switching between two diff. channels (tone setting) and possibility to use a mid cut during life performance. As a power amp, I use a Powersoft. Very good but not cheap. I use the Digam D-4002 model (2 x 1000 Watt at 4 Ohm) www.powersoft.it (http://www.powersoft.it)

Total weight is now is less than 23 Lbs and it sounds like a dream to my ears.
This combination allows me to level the two cabinets and solves also the diff. Ohm levels. Combination of 12 and 10 Inch is great. More body as only 10" but with the same quick response.

Rainer Bastian
07-30-2007, 03:01 PM
My gear:

Rack 1:
Aguilar DB680 => Powersoft DIGAM D3002 (Hi Egbert ...:-)

Rack 2:
Glockenklang Heart-Rock

Rack 3:
Aguilar DB750

Monitor:
SWR ST-800

Cabinets:
Various combinations of my Epifani cabs: 1 410UL, 1 212UL, 2 210UL

Effects:
dbx160A Compressor
SWR Mr Tone Controls param EQ

All of the 3 Racks provide different sound details through the Epi cabs. Personally I prefer most the Rack 1 combi with the 212UL and the 210UL on top, works perfect for both fretted and fretless. Quick and punchy, yet organic and with a rich midrange which I like so much on my Smiths...:-)... (Off-Topic: I really like also pre-Gibson Tobias' and old Fenders - they sound better through the other amp heads...)

Actually I have some serious reliability problems with both the DB680 and the Powersoft amp. Especially the Powersoft amp has been in the repair service 3 times and for more than 4 months...

The one thing I hate most is un-reliable equipment ...

Egbert Reulen
08-05-2007, 12:40 PM
My gear:

Rack 1:
Aguilar DB680 => Powersoft DIGAM D3002 (Hi Egbert ...:-)

Rack 2:
Glockenklang Heart-Rock

Rack 3:
Aguilar DB750

Monitor:
SWR ST-800

Cabinets:
Various combinations of my Epifani cabs: 1 410UL, 1 212UL, 2 210UL

Effects:
dbx160A Compressor
SWR Mr Tone Controls param EQ

All of the 3 Racks provide different sound details through the Epi cabs. Personally I prefer most the Rack 1 combi with the 212UL and the 210UL on top, works perfect for both fretted and fretless. Quick and punchy, yet organic and with a rich midrange which I like so much on my Smiths...:-)... (Off-Topic: I really like also pre-Gibson Tobias' and old Fenders - they sound better through the other amp heads...)

Actually I have some serious reliability problems with both the DB680 and the Powersoft amp. Especially the Powersoft amp has been in the repair service 3 times and for more than 4 months...

The one thing I hate most is un-reliable equipment ...
Hi Rainer,

Great collection you have. I´m sure your setup sounds great. Do you play with all three cabs at the same time? I agree that your equipment must work all the time. I dind´t have any problem with the powersoft amp.

Best regards,

Egbert

Albert Smith
08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I use Eden period. My rig consist of the following mixxed and matched depending on the situation.
WT550
WT400
WT1000 (with WT400 as the preamp)
210XST 4 ohm
dual 212XLT 4 ohm
112XLT

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/Fretlessboy/IMG_0957.jpg
Dennis I had the opportunity to play through a WT 390 and as you know there were only three of these cabinets made, it was signed by David Eden. A good friend of mine blew his Fender Bass man amp and asked me to assist him in obtaining a new amp. We went to the Pro-shop I buy from and he and I played his bass a 2005 Mexican Fender 5 through different heads and combos. But ultimately he was set on the David Eden WT 390 combo. I must admit it sounded awesome, better than my Ampeg rig actually. So if and when I decide to change my rig I believe I to will be joining the Eden clan.

Tim Bishop
08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Dennis I had the opportunity to play through a WT 390 and as you know there were only three of these cabinets made, it was signed by David Eden. A good friend of mine blew his Fender Bass man amp and asked me to assist him in obtaining a new amp. We went to the Pro-shop I buy from and he and I played his bass a 2005 Mexican Fender 5 through different heads and combos. But ultimately he was set on the David Eden WT 390 combo. I must admit it sounded awesome, better than my Ampeg rig actually. So if and when I decide to change my rig I believe I to will be joining the Eden clan.

Hey Al,

I've never heard of a WT-390 :confused: ....at any rate....

I've played through and own Edens 400, 550, and 800. The 400 just can't cut it (too weak). The 800 is a great amp also, however, IMO the Eden WT-550 (if nothing else, value-wise) is THE best sounding amp head I have played of the 3 Edens I have. ;)

What you will really need to do now is take your Smith, locate a WT-550 and run it through a 210XST and 212 XLT Cab together. Or, if they have a 410XLT, that'l work too. You think that MIM Fender sounded good? LOL! I can promise you, your Ampeg rig will become a distant memory. ;)

If you are looking for a combo amp......I would recommend the Eden Metro. ;)

Now, if you want to take it to another level?....Well, as you already know, I have shared what I use as my current rig through my other posts, so, I won't bore you with those details again. :rolleyes:

Albert Smith
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey Al,

I've never heard of a WT-390 :confused: ....at any rate....

I've played through and own Edens 400, 550, and 800. The 400 just can't cut it (too weak). The 800 is a great amp also, however, IMO the Eden WT-550 (if nothing else, value-wise) is THE best sounding amp head I have played of the 3 Edens I have. ;)

What you will really need to do now is take your Smith, locate a WT-550 and run it through a 210XST and 212 XLT Cab together. Or, if they have a 410XLT, that'l work too. You think that MIM Fender sounded good? LOL! I can promise you, your Ampeg rig will become a distant memory. ;)

If you are looking for a combo amp......I would recommend the Eden Metro. ;)

Now, if you want to take it to another level?....Well, as you already know, I have shared what I use as my current rig through my other posts, so, I won't bore you with those details again. :rolleyes:

First of all Tim you never bore me with info on your awesome collection of thunder producers, secondly I will take you up on your dubious suggestions and run my Smith's both my 5 and 6 string through the set-up you recommended. I'll hit ya back with the feed back just as soon as I return from my business trip to good ole St Louis.
until then peace!! :D

Tim Bishop
08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
First of all Tim you never bore me with info on your awesome collection of thunder producers, secondly I will take you up on your dubious suggestions and run my Smith's both my 5 and 6 string through the set-up you recommended. I'll hit ya back with the feed back just as soon as I return from my business trip to good ole St Louis.
until then peace!! :D

Thx Al. As far as the suggestion......there's not a grain of doubt in my mind. ;)

Dennis Michaels
08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
The 390 is/was the signature upgrade for the 112/300 combo (DC112 i believe was the model). The 390 upgrade makes a 300 with the specs of the WT 400. Nice little head.

Christopher Rhodes
08-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Gents,

I just purchased an old SWR workingman's 10. Used. I connected an 8 ohmn extension cabinet - a bag end 4x10. Wow. Amazing what you get out of 100 watts!

The ken smith 7 string sound full and responsive - I guess it is all those 10s speakers. Sounds good to me :)

Bill Doss
08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Has anyone tried them out? The fact that they are so light is a real draw.

I know they have some users in the EU, but have not heard much about them in the US.

:confused:

Christopher Rhodes
08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
I do not own one. Yet. I am hearing really good things about them. The one thing I always here that that amp does not color the tone of the bass with the amp - the bass tends to be sonically true to it's tone color. I know of two users in Maryland - they are extremely happy with them.

I wonder what a Smith Bass would sound like - with a fresh new set of ken smith strings - with a markbass amp! Since all Smith basses have a very destinictive tone ( - I can also tell if the bass is a smith in any song - ) Would the Markbass amp - let the KS tone come through even more???

Bill Doss
08-21-2007, 06:29 PM
I do not own one. Yet. I am hearing really good things about them. The one thing I always here that that amp does not color the tone of the bass with the amp - the bass tends to be sonically true to it's tone color. I know of two users in Maryland - they are extremely happy with them.

I wonder what a Smith Bass would sound like - with a fresh new set of ken smith strings - with a markbass amp! Since all Smith basses have a very destinictive tone ( - I can also tell if the bass is a smith in any song - ) Would the Markbass amp - let the KS tone come through even more???

Christopher,

I ask myself the same questions. I too can identify a Smith on a song because of its snappy tone.

I am tempted to get one as a smaller gig/practice amp. I will post results if I do.

Bill Doss

Abe Colon
08-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I currently used a David Eden WT 800-C with (2) 2x10 Epifinai Cabs. My Ken Smith beauty is BT Vintage Elite 6 string (BT6EG)

Michael Stram
08-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Currently a super redhead dated 1997. Im going to add either an avatar 210 or the 410 neo for more push

Other amps I had at some point in time:

Sunn1200s : Loud but too easy to distort, but sounded great set flat.

Peavey Classic 400 : LOUD Good tone..but at 98 lbs...you get the idea

Aguilar DB728 w/ Kern Preamp : best setup I had so far....svt lows with swr highs. heavey and took too much damage during tours. Chitlin circuit is very unforgiving.

ideal rig now might be a glockenklang preamp and aguilar db728. I love tubes for power. Match that with an accurate solid state pre and I think I'll get that elusive tone.:)

Jonny Blomgren
09-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm a big fan of the EBS amps. Using an old EBS Gorm-300 2x10 combo myself.

Albert Smith
09-21-2007, 10:47 PM
The 390 is/was the signature upgrade for the 112/300 combo (DC112 i believe was the model). The 390 upgrade makes a 300 with the specs of the WT 400. Nice little head.

Ok Dennis/Tim I know by now you've read I'm moving to ST Louis, well after carefull consideration and listening itensely to the eden sound, I've sold my Ampeg Rig and soon will be utilizing all DE products. Al :D

Tim Bishop
09-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok Dennis/Tim I know by now you've read I'm moving to ST Louis, well after carefull consideration and listening itensely to the eden sound, I've sold my Ampeg Rig and soon will be utilizing all DE products. Al :D

Well Al, you are a smart man! Better later than never. What DE products are you seeking?

Albert Smith
09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Well Al, you are a smart man! Better later than never. What DE products are you seeking?

To busy with the relocation right now to be specific, but I want a light rig so the biggest cab will consist of 4-tens, the head is yet to be determined.
Any recommendations :confused:

Tim Bishop
09-22-2007, 10:25 PM
To busy with the relocation right now to be specific, but I want a light rig so the biggest cab will consist of 4-tens, the head is yet to be determined.
Any recommendations :confused:

Yep. Easy!.......Amp (head): Eden WT-550. And (if you are only going to get 1 4x10 cab) 1 Eden 4ohm 410 XST or 410 XLT. ;)

Albert Smith
09-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Yep. Easy!.......Amp (head): Eden WT-550. And (if you are only going to get 1 4x10 cab) 1 Eden 4ohm 410 XST or 410 XLT. ;)
As always I appreciate your wisdom and envy your experience Tim, my goal is to reach a level of professionalism and knowledge equal to your own. This board has truly blessed me with information cognitive to the betterment of my quest to become the best bass player I can be.

Tim Bishop
09-23-2007, 04:09 PM
As always I appreciate your wisdom and envy your experience Tim, my goal is to reach a level of professionalism and knowledge equal to your own. This board has truly blessed me with information cognitive to the betterment of my quest to become the best bass player I can be.

Thanks Al, I do appreciate you and your kind words. :) However, if I may offer: Strengthen your goal of reaching that "level of professionalism and knowledge" by surrounding yourself with those that are proven and choose to contribute to it. I'm just one cog in a very big wheel. While I'm ok with that and happy to be a part of your goal, don't ever find yourself settling for just the one cog.

Discernment is key and I would suspect I don't have to tell you where that comes from. ;)

Christopher Rhodes
10-03-2007, 05:02 AM
I am getting a LMKII amp shortly. I will let everyone know how it sounds with the Ken Smith Basses. The amp only weigh 7lbs - @500 watts - @4ohm.

I suspect a new set of strings (smith stainless steel) on my 6-string BMT elite smith, plus this LMKII amp will produce some sweet tones. A lot of the local players are using them in the mid-atlantic region.

Albert Smith
10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Alright its officially happened I sold all of my Ampeg gear and bought all David Eden gear. I now own a very mobile and light Eden rig, I have the http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Eden WT550 Bass Amp matched with a Eden 410 XLT David Series Cabinet. :)

Tim Bishop
10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Alright its officially happened I sold all of my Ampeg gear and bought all David Eden gear. I now own a very mobile and light Eden rig, I have the http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

Al, you are going to LOVE this set-up! I guaroantee.

You won't need to adjust the amp EQ much as it has all the tonal head-room you'll need. You'll be able to set the amp and your Smith virtually flat and find it will only take slight adjustments to Amp EQ, Bass, and Treble; with a touch of the Enhance (around 11:00 should do) to accentuate any EQ adjustment you make at the amp. Another really nice feature with this amp is that you have an XLR Out of the back with a Level Adj. to send to the house.

Gret rig Al. Congrats!!!

And later.....if you decide to add another Eden 4-Ohm 410XST, 410XLT, or 210XST (because you can).......oh my!!! :) :D ;) :rolleyes:

Ronson Hall
10-30-2007, 01:10 AM

Congrat to you, buddy! I'm in the process of selling some SWR gear to complete my Eden equipment. :)

Willie Williams
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I owned some Eden gear about 10 years ago. Has much changed since they were sold?

Tim Bishop
10-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I owned some Eden gear about 10 years ago. Has much changed since they were sold?

I would recommend going to the Eden Web Site. All the answers are there for you. By the way, David Nordschow is still a critical part of Eden's continued success under USMC.

Albert Smith
10-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrat to you, buddy! I'm in the process of selling some SWR gear to complete my Eden equipment. :)

Ronson, that great news I think in order to really move up to the next level the player, bass and rig need to be in sync with each other. For the longest time my Ampeg rig provided that sound that I have always searched for, but after studying with my previous teacher Antar Goodwin out of NJ and listening to his Fodera coming through his rig, a new sound passed through me and I found the means to provide the sound with the help of our good friend Tim Bishop with my current Eden rig. So I encourage you to experiment with different set-ups until you acquire the means to produce the type of sound that you've always search for.

Albert Smith
11-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Well here it is my new rig set-up, after talking with Dennis and Tim I sold all of my Ampeg gear purchased David Eden's equipment starting with the WT550 Bass Head supported by a 410XLT and 115XLT cabinet both cabs are 8 ohms but parallel linked together my impedance is 4 ohms.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6408/wt550eo3.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1689/410xltmf8.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/442/115xltsx5.jpg

Tim Bishop
11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Well here it is my new rig set-up, after talking with Dennis and Tim I sold all of my Ampeg gear purchased David Eden's equipment starting with the WT550 Bass Head supported by a 410XLT and 115XLT cabinet both cabs are 8 ohms but parallel linked together my impedance is 4 ohms.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6408/wt550eo3.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1689/410xltmf8.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/442/115xltsx5.jpg

Yeah, baby! :)

Still waitin on that report Al! :rolleyes:

Albert Smith
11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah, baby! :)

Still waitin on that report Al! :rolleyes:

Tim as usual you are "The Man" the suggestions you gave were right on the money!!! I love the sound I'm creating with barely any adjustments what so ever. It like listening to a brand new Smith. When your right your right I loved my Ampeg rig, but honestly my new rig brings my sound to a new level.

Tim Bishop
11-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Tim as usual you are "The Man" the suggestions you gave were right on the money!!! I love the sound I'm creating with barely any adjustments what so ever. It like listening to a brand new Smith. When your right your right I loved my Ampeg rig, but honestly my new rig brings my sound to a new level.

Well, that is exactly what I expected to hear from you. :rolleyes: Congrats and enjoy! Remember, you can take the load down to 2-Ohms and get an add'l output of 250W !!! :D You may not need it, but you can. :rolleyes:

Also, when you don't need to use the cab's, you'll have to try using the 550 as a DI sometime. The soundman will love you! :D

Albert Smith
11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/345/bt5edensh5.jpg

Here's a shot of my new traveling rig, David Eden 410XLT CAB - WT-550 Bass head and my Ken Smith BT5 EG Elite made in 2001

Ronson Hall
11-10-2007, 06:55 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/345/bt5edensh5.jpg

Here's a shot of my new traveling rig, David Eden 410XLT CAB - WT-550 Bass head and my Ken Smith BT5 EG Elite made in 2001

A dynamite set up, Brother Al! Congrats!! My first new Eden acquisition will most likely be the D210XST. I'm working on it now... ;)

Albert Smith
11-11-2007, 09:40 AM
A dynamite set up, Brother Al! Congrats!! My first new Eden acquisition will most likely be the D210XST. I'm working on it now... ;)

Ronson great to hear from you my brother, are you sure the 210 will handle the venue your currently in? I know travel wise it's light and easy to transport but I think you might want to reconsider and go for the 410 as it will afford you the ability to handle much bigger venues when you venture out to other places of worship. Just something to think about ultimately you know your own needs. :rolleyes:

Tim Bishop
11-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Ronson great to hear from you my brother, are you sure the 210 will handle the venue your currently in? I know travel wise it's light and easy to transport but I think you might want to reconsider and go for the 410 as it will afford you the ability to handle much bigger venues when you venture out to other places of worship. Just something to think about ultimately you know your own needs. :rolleyes:

The Eden 210XST is (IMO) THE best 210 Cab. on the market. At 500W at 8-Ohms, it can flat bring it! I would encourage you to get it Ronson. Then later, if you need to add another Cab., then definately get the 410XST or 410XLT. Particularly, if you match them with the WT-550 (I highly recommend this amp)! The WT-550 will give you 500W at 4-Ohms and 750W at 2-Ohms. Then, you will have all the flexibility you'll most likely ever need. ;) :)

Albert Smith
11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
The Eden 210XST is (IMO) THE best 210 Cab. on the market. At 500W at 8-Ohms, it can flat bring it! I would encourage you to get it Ronson. Then later, if you need to add another Cab., then definitely get the 410XST or 410XLT. Particularly, if you match them with the WT-550 (I highly recommend this amp)! The WT-550 will give you 500W at 4-Ohms and 750W at 2-Ohms. Then, you will have all the flexibility you'll most likely ever need. ;) :)

Well if Tim say's it what's pop-in I guess you have to go with it. Tim definitely knows what he's talking about.

Christopher Rhodes
11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Tim & Al - is it possbile for you to record a few sound clips what your bass sounds like - with the DE setup. Some ideas are:

DE with the front pickup
DE with the back pickup
DE with both pickups
DE with your favoriite tone
DE for Fingerstyle
DE for Thumping (or slapping as it is called now)

That would really make this thread - exciting to say the least :)

Tim Bishop
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Tim & Al - is it possbile for you to record a few sound clips what your bass sounds like - with the DE setup. Some ideas are:

DE with the front pickup
DE with the back pickup
DE with both pickups
DE with your favoriite tone
DE for Fingerstyle
DE for Thumping (or slapping as it is called now)

That would really make this thread - exciting to say the least :)

Chris,

With Mike Smith's help, I started a thread about 5 months ago under "Music [BG]" : "Member Bass Clips". There is an upload filesize limitation (for obvious reasons) of, I believe, 5MB. I chose a short 30 sec. clip for this reason.

My clip is just a flat recording of my Smith Cocobolo 5EG. The link below will take you to the thread and my clip (as well as others).

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=367

I am assuming that "DE" means David Eden. As far as getting a mix from my Eden Set-up??? Maybe some day when I have more time.

Realistically, trying to provide a sample sound clip of a DE set-up compressed down to an .mp3 would not be the best representation of the DE sound. If you really want to hear a DE set-up: Listen to it in a live situation. That way you can REALLY hear how good these rigs sound and I am sure you won't be disappointed. Especially with a properly set-up Smith Bass. ;)

Ronson Hall
11-12-2007, 10:32 AM
The Eden 210XST is (IMO) THE best 210 Cab. on the market. At 500W at 8-Ohms, it can flat bring it! I would encourage you to get it Ronson. Then later, if you need to add another Cab., then definately get the 410XST or 410XLT. Particularly, if you match them with the WT-550 (I highly recommend this amp)! The WT-550 will give you 500W at 4-Ohms and 750W at 2-Ohms. Then, you will have all the flexibility you'll most likely ever need. ;) :)

Al & Tim, I appreciate all the valuable info, and please keep it flowing, will ya?

Tim, I believe you are right on with your assessment. Going on your reccomendation and all the research I've done, the Eden D210XLT or XST are clear top choices for the money. And, check this out: I ran into a guy who, instead of running the very fine 410 cab choice runs two 210's instead (both 4 ohm cabs)! He says to me "Ron, I sold myself on this setup a while ago, If I need to push more air, I just make two trips and load the two lighter 210's instead of my 410. I leave my 410 cab at the church, and save my back!" For me, that made sense!

Plus, you get to take that WT550 down to a 2 ohm load (750 watts) with the two cabs, and really push some air! I'm really thinking about this, guys.

Al, I'm leaning toward the XST, as it pushes a bit more "low end" which I absolutely adore. And, I think I might be done with 8 ohm cabs for a while.

Albert Smith
11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey I ain't mad at ya my brother, there is nothing like a fat bottom to get the funk pop-in. Every player searches for that ultimate sound they conceptually create in their respective ear. You know I was an Ampeg man for ever, but I got to admit the sounds I'm creating with just a tweak of the "DE" controls is off the hook. :D

Tim Bishop
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Al & Tim, I appreciate all the valuable info, and please keep it flowing, will ya?

Tim, I believe you are right on with your assessment. Going on your reccomendation and all the research I've done, the Eden D210XLT or XST are clear top choices for the money. And, check this out: I ran into a guy who, instead of running the very fine 410 cab choice runs two 210's instead (both 4 ohm cabs)! He says to me "Ron, I sold myself on this setup a while ago, If I need to push more air, I just make two trips and load the two lighter 210's instead of my 410. I leave my 410 cab at the church, and save my back!" For me, that made sense!

Plus, you get to take that WT550 down to a 2 ohm load (750 watts) with the two cabs, and really push some air! I'm really thinking about this, guys.

Al, I'm leaning toward the XST, as it pushes a bit more "low end" which I absolutely adore. And, I think I might be done with 8 ohm cabs for a while.

I can see doin 2x210XST's, and yes, the XST's do shine a tad more on the bottom end. Choice of load (2, 4, or 8 Ohm) on the amp is obviously a choice, and only you can make it. 2 4-Ohm 210XST's will work great with the 550. Just keep in mind: Pushing air is key. You just have to decide how much air you will want and/or need to push. ;) BTW, the 410 Cabs roll very nicely on wheels, LOL! :D :)

And Al, don't even second guess your choice of cabs (i.e. XST vs. XLT) here. What you have is also smokin! ;)

Ronson Hall
11-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I can see doin 2x210XST's, and yes, the XST's do shine a tad more on the bottom end. Choice of load (2, 4, or 8 Ohm) on the amp is obviously a choice, and only you can make it. 2 4-Ohm 210XST's will work great with the 550. Just keep in mind: Pushing air is key. You just have to decide how much air you will want and/or need. ;) BTW, the 410 Cabs roll very nicely on wheels, LOL! :D :)

And Al, don't even second guess your choice of cabs (i.e. XST vs. XLT) here. What you have is also smokin! ;)

Ditto to Al, Tim. Al, you've some beautiful stuff, man! I have two frends of mine here in the Alamo City with the same set up as you, and they sound fabulous! ;)

Tim, I also am going to try to unload my Traveler Plus so that I can get into a WT550, so wish me well. Brother Al, good "lookin' out" on the internet for those deals, bro! Please keep 'em comin' as time permits...

Laurent Vergnac
11-13-2007, 03:03 PM

I use a SWR SM 500 into a 410 Mesa Boogie Diesel Cab (8ohm) to play my BSR6GN. It sounds pretty accurate for the money. Not the greatest sound though.

Albert Smith
11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/235/heavyweightpp6.jpg

This is no "JOKE" this set-up is serious if your faint at heart don't try it, because your gonna LOVE it. Thanks Tim absolutely the BEST sounding rig I have ever owned. Expensive but worth every penny.

Tim Bishop
11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Al,

I have no doubt.

Having a good idea of what you wanted to hear; this is a Great choice you've made. ;)

My first Eden rig was an 8-Ohm 410XLT and 115XLT. I used the WT-800 to drive them (I used Bridged Mono (800W+) to push both speakers. :D :)

Enjoy!

Bob Faulkner
11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I'll repost the pic of mine just to illustrate heavy weight contender status..

http://www.delusionalmind.com/equip/bob_amp_cabs_021107.jpg

That puppy is a back breaker, but man it sounds sweet.

Tim Bishop
11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok, Ok, I've been asked several times to show my rig. So, sorry for the delay. Here it is:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/kata3901/Eden/DSCF0050.jpg

Sound? Power? Punch? Tone? Coverage?........Simply put: Devastating.

Bob Faulkner
11-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Yep, that looks like a painful back as well. Well done!!

Albert Smith
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok, Ok, I've been asked several times to show my rig. So, sorry for the delay. Here it is:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/kata3901/Smith/DSCF0001-1.jpg

Sound? Tone? Range? Power? Punch?........Simply put: Devastating.

My goodness looks like I brought the big dogs out of the closet, you boys got good insurance I hope. :eek: My God that's alot of pasta!!!

Ronson Hall
11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
My goodness looks like I brought the big dogs out of the closet, you boys got good insurance I hope. :eek: My God that's alot of pasta!!!

Good Googla Moogla, Tim! You are indeed equipped, cabinet-wise, for any situation! Blessed you are, my friend.

Here's my Eden "Dream List":

WT550
a WTX 260 for the light, quick traveling I do
a 212 cab
two of the D210XST
one 410XLT
one of the 112 cabsI think that would keep me happy for a few years! :cool:

By the way, Bob & Brother Al, your rigs are looking pretty powerful!

Bob Faulkner
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I need more power.. My head is only 700Wrms, which drives 350Wrms to each cab. The 810 will handle 800Wprogram, and the 215 will handle 1kWprogram.. So both are underpowered.. I'm gonna be looking into getting a power amp in the 1.5KW arena at some point in the future. That will come just before I order my Smith BSR5EG fretless..

Christopher Rhodes
11-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Tim,

Your rig is very interesting. I cannot help but notice you are running a QSC power amp with an Alembic F2B preamp.

Ive used multple speaker cabinets on medium size gigs with great success. Seeing you rig - sort of confirms that - if you want big sound - you need either big cabinets - or more than two :)

Obivously this is your concert rig - and not your small gig rig. I am a fan of DE cabinets - although I do not own one; the tone from them are always right on point.

Tim, when you use the WT-550 head - which cabinets do you use with it?

Happy Thanksgiving to all...

Albert Smith
11-22-2007, 10:10 AM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7278/thpilgrimkidssittingattxf9.gif
Happy Thanksgiving to all my "Smith" Bass Brethren.

Tim Bishop
11-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Tim,

Your rig is very interesting. I cannot help but notice you are running a QSC power amp with an Alembic F2B preamp.

Ive used multple speaker cabinets on medium size gigs with great success. Seeing you rig - sort of confirms that - if you want big sound - you need either big cabinets - or more than two :)

Obivously this is your concert rig - and not your small gig rig. I am a fan of DE cabinets - although I do not own one; the tone from them are always right on point.

Tim, when you use the WT-550 head - which cabinets do you use with it?

Happy Thanksgiving to all...

Chris, to answer your question:

Any combination of my Eden Cabs would work great with the WT-550 provided I don't exceed the load limit of the amp. Ultimately, it comes down to what I want to hear from the particular speaker/cab in the given room.

My choice for a small room might be the 210XST(8). For medium sized rooms, the 210XST(8) and 212XLT(8). For large rooms, I would most likely use either the 210XST(8) and 410XLT(8) ...or... 2-410XLT(8's) Cab with a DI to FOH.

My QSC/F-2B rig: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/kata3901/Eden/DSCF0050.jpg would handle anything larger. Actually, the QSC/F-2B combo could be used in any of the above described rooms with the best results imaginable. I'm not talking about the total rig set-up, I'm just saying I could choose to use any single or combination of my Eden Cabs (just as I would with the WT-550) as appropriate for the room.

At any rate, with these set-up options I have, I am covered. :)

Christopher Rhodes
11-22-2007, 12:12 PM
The QSC Power amp is the missing piece of my rig. I have a few nice cabs, and few preamps (F1X, Yamaha pb1, Trace Elliot V-type), but no good power amp.

So I am looking for one of the PLX series power amps.

I really like the way my smith basses sound with a tube preamp - really clear to my ears.

Tim Bishop
11-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Chris, to answer your question:

Any combination of my Eden Cabs would work great with the WT-550 provided I don't exceed the load limit of the amp. Ultimately, it comes down to what I want to hear from the particular speaker/cab in the given room.

My choice for a small room might be the 210XST(8). For medium sized rooms, the 210XST(8) and 212XLT(8). For large rooms, I would most likely use either the 210XST(8) and 410XLT(8) ...or... 2-410XLT(8's) Cab with a DI to FOH.

My QSC/F-2B rig: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/kata3901/Eden/DSCF0050.jpg would handle anything larger. Actually, the QSC/F-2B combo could be used in any of the above described rooms with the best results imaginable. I'm not talking about the total rig set-up, I'm just saying I could choose to use any single or combination of my Eden Cabs (just as I would with the WT-550) as appropriate for the room.

At any rate, with these set-up options I have, I am covered. :)

The QSC Power amp is the missing piece of my rig. I have a few nice cabs, and few preamps (F1X, Yamaha pb1, Trace Elliot V-type), but no good power amp.

So I am looking for one of the PLX series power amps.

I really like the way my smith basses sound with a tube preamp - really clear to my ears.

If you are in the market for a power amp, the QSC-PLX Series would get my vote. Just don't "skimp" on power. ;)

Scott Reed
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Eden and Mesa

The head is a late '90s WT-500 atop a 410XLT 8 ohm. I purchased the amp from Scott Ambush and couldn't be happier with the tone. When bridged mono, the amp puts out 600 watts into 8 ohms and you must be at 8 ohms. That combination has brutal low end, very focused tight and deep. IMHO, ideal for slap... right up your alley Chris.

The mesa rig is an mPulse 600 atop a PowerHouse 212. The tone is very tastey and compliments the tone of a J. The low end is a little weak (less tight and focused), when compared to the eden, but it more then makes up for it with character and a nice mid-range growl. I use it primarily for my rock and blues gigs.

Chris, you are more then welcome to borrow it anytime. Just let me know when and where you're playing and I'll even deliver it! You can repay me with a lesson or 2 ;)

http://www.gamenetusa.com/rigs.jpg

Tim Bishop
12-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Ok Guys,

Here is a current photo of my QSC/Eden Rig:

Enjoy!

Ken Smith
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Ok Guys,

Enjoy!

That's ONE Amp? I would be scared to live in your neighborhood..:eek:

Ronson Hall
12-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok Guys,

Enjoy!

Oooooooweeeeee, Tim! You've got to be the man! Nice stuff!! :D

Tim Bishop
12-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok Guys,

Enjoy!

Oooooooweeeeee, Tim! You've got to be the man! Nice stuff!! :D

Thx Ronson. Well, I certainly don't consider myself "the man"; just very particular about my sound and gear.

Tim Bishop
12-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Ok Guys,

Enjoy!

That's ONE Amp? I would be scared to live in your neighborhood..:eek:

Actually Ken, yes. The QSC PLX-3602/F-2B (top center) alone will drive ALL or ANY combination of those Cabs: 1800W at 2-Ohms per channel; 2600W Bridged Mono at 8-Ohms; 3600W Bridged Mono at 4-Ohms: Pure Devastation.

The Eden WT-550's (shown on each side) will drive these Cabs VERY nicely also, BUT, simply not fair to compare it to the QSC PLX-3602/F-2B set-up. I included the WT-550's in the pic as an additiional endorsement for Eden. But DO NOT misunderstand, the WT-550 is a great amp and IMO, among Eden's best.

David Newcomb
12-17-2007, 08:32 PM
I use the all tube Mesa Boogie buster 200 combo 1x15 version, currently out of production...this may change when I start gigging again due to weight! (think it tops 100 lbs).

Albert Smith
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Normally I have my cabs stacked on top of one another, but I decided to lower the cabs today to place my Eden covers on them and I really loved the way the cabs sounded closer to the floor. So I think I'll run them this way for now on.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5203/77513691uq4.jpg

Tim Bishop
01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow, I'd bet you're really hatin that set-up huh Al? :eek: LOL! :D :)

Albert Smith
01-05-2008, 10:59 PM
:cool: Wow, I'd bet you're really hatin that set-up huh Al? :eek: LOL! :D :)

Tim this rig has given my BT 5 Elite so many choices when it comes to tone shaping, I can play almost any style of music with a simple tweak here and a click there. Totally awesome rig.

Tim Bishop
01-05-2008, 11:43 PM
:cool:

Tim this rig has given my BT 5 Elite so many choices when it comes to tone shaping, I can play almost any style of music with a simple tweak here and a click there. Totally awesome rig.

Al, you're preachin to the choir brother. :) Seriously, I'm happy you are enjoying it. There was no doubt in my mind you would.:rolleyes:

By the way, I recently picked up a mint '01 WBT5. Let me just say, "I am lovin this bass!" :D

Albert Smith
01-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Al, you're preachin to the choir brother. :) Seriously, I'm happy you are enjoying it. There was no doubt in my mind you would.:rolleyes:

By the way, I recently picked up a mint '01 WBT5. Let me just say, "I am lovin this bass!" :D
Ok Tim with the addition of the WBT5 Elite how many Axes are in the collection now?

Tim Bishop
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
More than I deserve. :rolleyes:

Nick Foster
02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
I play through a Mesa 400Plus head, a Mesa 810 Powerhouse and various accessories. I get incredible warmth and deadly tone from this beast.

Jack Jackson
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Nice tone indeed, Chris. A great groove on "Standard Procedure"! And "Can't Hide Love"? :eek: Wow! I'm a blues-player, turned Christian, but I love Jazz music, especially the Rippingtons. Kim Stone is my favorite bassist.

I have a chance to buy a barely-used Black Tiger 4. Trying to work it out financially so I can stand up and be a Smith-owner. Jazz basses have always been in my price range. Currently, I play a 17 year-old Hamer Chapparel bass (mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck). It's time for a replacement. I'm trying to decide between a Victor Bailey Jazz ($2,000) or this guy's Tiger ($3,700). Then I can refinish my Hamer and give it to my son, if he makes it home from Iraq.

Anyway, I'm hoping to become a Smith-man soon. Take care and God bless... :)

Jack from Alabama

Jack Jackson
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh by the way, :o I play through a Carvin RL600 head with two 2-10 cabs. The cabs are so lightweight, when I first lifted them, I thought they must have left out the speakers! :D It fills most clubs nicely with a warm tone and nice punch. It has a direct XLR out for larger venues or the great outdoors. I will eventually replace it with an Eden rig. But first things first. I've got to get Smith!!

ramon ramos
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
praise him jack, my name is ramon here in southern calif. and i'm also a church bassist. i just wanted to highly encourage you to get your hand's on that smith black tiger bass! if you haven't already done so, it's your blessing for the taking. you will never regret it if you get. i own a basic bsr6mw and the tone is well everything you would expect from a world class bass like smith. man at $3700 it's a great deal considering the condition of the bass with no modification's. i'm happy for you jack, i hope you do buy the smith. the neck's on smith's are the most thinnest in the buisness! so comfortable. i liked that you posted your bass rig by carvin rl600 it's got some serious punch,no lite weight. i'm also using carvin i have their bx1200 mono block it put's out 1200watts! of clean signal i'm running a carvin two 10's with a 100watt horn cab and the best part is the low end is on channel 2 with a carvin 18''cab. i'll probably never reach 1200watts but you never know.you mentioned that you want to get eden cab's? you know iv'e noticed alot of smith owner's prefer the eden line i wonder if it's the construction or the electronic's or a combination of both i'll have to check out the eden line. well jack go get that tiger and be blessed.

Keith Copeland
04-12-2008, 10:11 PM
My rig consists of an EA Micro 300 amp (2 lbs) and either Schroeder Mini 10+ L (17 lbs) or an EA Wizzy 10 (17 lbs) all connected to Furman PL-Plus Series II power conditioner. Our church's Music Ministry include a 30 member (and growing) gospel choir, drums, electric guitar, percussion and electric bass (yours truly) with a Leslie organ added to the mix. Even with no PA support, my bass cuts through the mix like a blow torch!!! People cannot believe the soundstage that my tiny setup projects-myself included! My current bass is a Peavey Cirrus 5 Bubinga/Walnut (considered by many to be a poor man's Smith. But as nice as it is-IT IS NOT A SMITH!). As soon as I am blessed with the resources, I will add a BSR5GN to my weapons of praise.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

Albert Smith
04-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Normally I have my cabs stacked on top of one another, but I decided to lower the cabs today to place my Eden covers on them and I really loved the way the cabs sounded closer to the floor. So I think I'll run them this way for now on.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5203/77513691uq4.jpg

Tim is going to kill me but I have traded my Eden WT 550 for an Aguilar DB 750 Bass Head. Herer are the specs:

The DB 750 bass head is a ground-breaking hybrid amplifier with a discrete MOSFET output section and an all-tube preamp. A perfect
combination of raw power and enormous headroom, the DB 750 sets the precedent for all hybrid heads. This head develops 750 watts of high fidelity tone in 4 ohms, 975 watts into 2 ohms.
Specs
Accepts 2, 4, and 8 ohm loads
Tuner Out with Mute
Self-Diagnostic Protection Circuit and Thermal Overload Protection Circuit (both with LED Indicators)
Short Circuit Protection
Power Output: 750 watts @ 4 ohms, 975 watts @ 2 ohms.
Preamp Section: Three 12AX7s and one 12AU7
Power Section: 12 complimentary lateral MOSFETs
Transformers: Custom Aguilar toroidal power transformer.
EQ Section: Tube-driven shelving type treble (+/ - 12dB @4kHz), mid (+/ - 12dB @ 400Hz), and bass (+/ - 12dB @ 40Hz) controls.
Deep Switch: Adds 3db of broad-band boost at 30 Hz.
Bright Switch: A passive RC pre-emphasis circuit at 5-7 kHz.
Effects Loop: Send pot is push/pull for line or instrument level; return pot is push/pull for parallel or series operation.
Inputs: One 1/4" input jack with an active/passive switch. One 1/4" power amp input.
Outputs: Two Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, one Jenson XLR balanced output (-32dB pre- and post-EQ) with a ground lift switch, and one 1/4" jack preamp output.
Cooling: High quality whisper fan
Power Requirement: 100, 120, 230 VAC 50 - 60 Hz
Dimensions: 19" W x 14" D x 5.25" H
Rack Size: Three Spaces
Weight: 43 lbs
Warranty: Ten year limited

Sorry Tim, Al

Albert Smith
04-12-2008, 11:38 PM
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8723/db750dy2.jpg

ramon ramos
04-13-2008, 12:16 AM
hi keith, this is ramon i just want to continue this thread by saying that wow! 30+ choir group! that's great and those leslie speaker's must be awsome. but when you show up with your new smith bsr5gn! your fellow band mate's better look out. that unique smith sound is gonna bring down the house. as a fellow smith owner i can first hand tell you that your church worship will never be the same!. i'm a fellow church bassist here in so. calif. refuge temple. it took me probably close to 7 year's to get my hand's on a smith bass and the sound a smith put's out is definately in a class of it's own. i hope that your wait will be a short one and that you let us know about your new smith bass:)

ramon ramos
04-13-2008, 12:22 AM
that's a low down winner! congrat's :cool:

Tim Bishop
04-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Kill you??? :eek: There's all kinds of flavors out there. We all just have decide what works best for us. ;)

Albert Smith
04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Kill you??? :eek: There's all kinds of flavors out there. We all just have decide what works best for us. ;)

I know how you feel about the Eden heads, anyway I loved my WT 550 but I'm moving in a different direction head wise anyway. My cabinets will remain Eden.

Al :D

Keith Copeland
04-14-2008, 03:10 AM
hi keith, this is ramon i just want to continue this thread by saying that wow! 30+ choir group! that's great and those leslie speaker's must be awsome. but when you show up with your new smith bsr5gn! your fellow band mate's better look out. that unique smith sound is gonna bring down the house. as a fellow smith owner i can first hand tell you that your church worship will never be the same!. i'm a fellow church bassist here in so. calif. refuge temple. it took me probably close to 7 year's to get my hand's on a smith bass and the sound a smith put's out is definately in a class of it's own. i hope that your wait will be a short one and that you let us know about your new smith bass:)

Thanks, Ramon!!!! I am looking forward to getting a Smith and will definitely share my experience!!! :)

ramon ramos
04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
hello keith, just want to add that i hope you get the best smith possible you can get:).

Michael Harrison Jr.
04-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Much like an earlier poster, I barely rely on much amp use anymore and also have grown very use to in ear monitoring. I do a lot of musical theater work, and most of the time due to mics on the piano, strings, horns, etc, it became much easier to just run a GK 250 head as a DI, post EQ, and no amp. Even for more traditional gigs, I'm quite happy running off the house system and having the mix in my ears tailored to the way I want it. For anything without a house system, I have a GK 210 cab that I use for DB and electric. It gets the job done.

Franklindayala
04-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I have the SWR bass 350 head with Goliath III (4x10) cab. But recently bought the Aguilar DB750 bass head.

Albert Smith
06-28-2008, 10:20 AM
When I first joined KSBF my rig was exclusively Ampeg, I then migrated to Eden and you've all seen my posts, I even tried the Aguilar rigs and all of them are great. But I got to tell you for me the rig that most predominately delivered the sound I want is Ampeg. I currently own the 610 SVT classic with a B2RE head ran passively through a Fender 1200 watt power amp and it is phenomenal.
Tim I thank you for all the info and direction you've given me and countless others, you are the man.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/940/1004837oq1.jpg

Bob Faulkner
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
What suits one man's fancy doesn't necessarily do it for another.. Use what sounds good to you.

I almost wound up with an ampeg SVT4PRO and 810 classic cab because peavey was being slow about delivering my firebass 700 and 810tvx cabs.. in the end it all worked out though.. I love Peavey gear..

RichardManning
07-13-2008, 02:24 AM
After spending loads of time and a small fortune (at least to me) back in the '80s and early '90s, I finally built my perfect bass rig. It just so happened that the manufacturer gave it a marketing name, ADA called it the "Modern Bass Quartet" and if you were reading Bass Player magazine back then, you probably saw the rig on the outside back cover more than a few times ;)

I bought this rig new in '93-'94 (as I could buy new components and sell my old stuff, piece by piece).

My rig consists of:

1 - ADA MB-1 Bass Pre-amp
1 - ADA B500B bi-amp amp
1 - ADA Bassline HX (2 x 10 + 1 switchable 5")
1 - ADA Bassline 15 ( 1 x 15)
1 - ART MIDI controller (a leftover from previous gear that still worked for the ADA)

I also have a Furman power conditioner, wrapped in an SKB ATA 4U case with the MB-1 and B500B.

All the components are perfectly matched to get a wide range of tones of various vintage amps and basses and combinations, with 128 programs for storage, accessed at 1 or more clicks of a MIDI footswitch.

Other than a bit of Trace Elliot kit (wish I could have bought that new TE MP11 and matching footswitch that was all shiny new at my local bass gear place so long ago! only piece of gear I regret not being able to get $$$. If anyone has either or both of these and willing to part with it, let me know :D

Regards,
Richard

Tim Brosnan
08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Fender Bassman 250/210 combo for me. Light, loud enough for what I need, and great tone.

Bram Schoonderbeek
09-01-2008, 02:33 PM
My rig consists of:
a Glockenklang Soul top 440 watts and two 2x10 Duo Cabinets:)

I have owned other brands but nothing I've tried compares really, it's an amp that makes your bass sound like an acoustic instrument, it's really awefully transparant, also that means it doesn't hide or smooth-out any imperfections your instrument might have, also it really really fast. I never turn a knob on that thing everything is flat and, believe it or not, I play all my basses passive on it, the only thing I do is give the gain just a nodge of hair just giving that extra little edge of dynamics and caracter. It's one amzing amp, you buy this once you never look at another thing really, atleast thats how I feel:rolleyes:

Only thing missing... a Smith... but that will soon change:cool:
Once I have that in my hands I won't find the time to post on forums anymore hehehe

DeTavio Crudup
09-10-2008, 04:12 AM
My rigs consist of a SWR SW400 with a Goliath II ( pre-fender). My second rig is a Gallian-Krueger 700RBII 2X10 combo. I use that for the smaller venues.:cool:

ed hauser
09-18-2008, 02:39 PM
hey guys, new person here. im using an eden wt800 with ebs 15 bottom and hartke 410 top with a boss gt6b. i set everything flat and adjust at the bass. sometimes ill use (in small settings due to club or stage size, or if i dont feel like lifting heavy stuff), just an eden 550 and hartke 410 with my korg ax10b. most of the time i use my smith bass, its very very warm feeling. but if im more into having fun than tone control i use the fender jazz plus (seafoam green and ugly as sin, but it plays itself). and i always run through my yamaha ne1 magic box. :)

Jim White
11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Another new guy here :) I have a small PA system, with a Carvin 12 channel mixer and 400 watt power amp powering my old band's Yamaha stage monitors. It was far cheaper than a new combo or dedicated bass amp, and sounds great for a now retired former bar band rocker's living room setup. I'm thinking of getting a nice stereo delay to add a bit of separation since I can go stereo with my setup, but at the moment it is just straight into my little PA and sounds great.

David Alan McIntire II
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
One more fairly new guy here, just findin my way around. For the record, usin a Mesa Impulse 600 and a Bergantino HT-310 as my main rig. Also have an SWR Red Head, the original 200w version, and both Goliath III 2x and 4x10 cabs. I'll use the Mesa and both Goliath cabs on real big gigs, just the Red Head for teeny, intimate stuff. But generally use the Berg. Loud cab, one of best stand alones I've ever used.

Keir Riggs
02-07-2009, 07:37 PM
As of now I use ofcourse SWR grand prix preamp , Carvin DCM 1000 pwr ampw/ SWR triad cab. For the smaller gigs I use Carvin BR 610 combo, or my SWR setup w/ a peavey 210TX. I try to keep it simple.

Raffaele Calegari
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi all!
I actually use a Walter Woods blue light and an Ampeg 4x10HE, but i am evaluating to switch to bergantino EX112..
After 15 years of amateur gigs my back wants some relief!

Roger Vaughan
03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Just for fun, in light of what's on display here, I'm posting my humble dog-eared rig:

The gig-rig is...
-ART Tube EQ (preamp);
-Crest FA 1201 (power amp);
-EV B-115 cab, BW 1504-8 ohm loaded (needs to be a 1504-4 ohm, but it works);

The rock band (read: "Garage-Level Punk band") rig is...
-Peavey Mark III head;
-2x Peavey 115BX/BW cabs, BW 1502-8 loaded (need to change these to 1504-4, to get the most out of the Peavey MK III Battle-Axe).

(Playing a Smith Burner CR4, Godin A4 fretless, Squier Classic Vibe 50's P-Bass and Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity according to the mood of the evening and ferociousness- or not!- of the set list.)

I'm more into "Thump" than nuance/high freq's, so I've kept my amp expenses down to a minimum- seems to work that way, and frankly it's necessary at this point. But I love the feel and play of the Smith Burner- and it looks cool! It has a classic 'mojo' going on somehow, in a Post-Fender Era kind of way. So in this way I'm "wasting" the Smith on this old funky gear, but it works for me.

Dave Martin
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Compared to you guys (at least the last half dozen posts), I'm really a slacker. I tend to use an SWR Super Redhead for both electric and upright bass. No outboard preamps, no cool effects - just an old, beat up amp. I took an Eden Metro out on an upright and an electric gig this week, but it didn't do it for me on either. If I thought that 30 watts of pure tube power would work, I'd start taking my old B15 out on all my gigs, but as soon as a drummer enters the equation, the B15 loses...

Roger Vaughan
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Compared to you guys (at least the last half dozen posts), I'm really a slacker. I tend to use an SWR Super Redhead for both electric and upright bass. No outboard preamps, no cool effects - just an old, beat up amp. I took an Eden Metro out on an upright and an electric gig this week, but it didn't do it for me on either. If I thought that 30 watts of pure tube power would work, I'd start taking my old B15 out on all my gigs, but as soon as a drummer enters the equation, the B15 loses...

Nothing wrong with an old beat up amp! Doesn't the SWR do it for you? Man, I'd use that Super Redhead with an extension cab- maybe a Bag-End SD-15. Done deal.

I'm only using the outboard EQ and power amp because they were available cheap. I'd love an SWR Bassic 350 head and Goliath II cab- or a Bag End. But I'm building a Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 15 Tallboy cab this spring, and at that point will look for a head in earnest, probably give up the Crest poweramp. Simple is really the way to go for amps, for me. I don't like having a lot of pieces of gear.

Dave Martin
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Nothing wrong with an old beat up amp! Doesn't the SWR do it for you? Man, I'd use that Super Redhead with an extension cab- maybe a Bag-End SD-15. Done deal.

I'm only using the outboard EQ and power amp because they were available cheap. I'd love an SWR Bassic 350 head and Goliath II cab- or a Bag End. But I'm building a Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 15 Tallboy cab this spring, and at that point will look for a head in earnest, probably give up the Crest poweramp. Simple is really the way to go for amps, for me. I don't like having a lot of pieces of gear.An extension cabinet? Jeez - one of my complaints about the Super Redhead is its weight! :)

Actually, If I just replaced the wheels, the SWR would still be good for the electric bass work that I do (with an extension cabinet for the loudest gigs), but for the upright stuff, I'm not completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting from the SWR.

Roger Vaughan
03-02-2009, 06:36 AM
An extension cabinet? Jeez - one of my complaints about the Super Redhead is its weight! :)

Actually, If I just replaced the wheels, the SWR would still be good for the electric bass work that I do (with an extension cabinet for the loudest gigs), but for the upright stuff, I'm not completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting from the SWR.

Have you tried standing the SWR on it's side? Word has it that speakers arranged in a vertical orientation will give up a more 'hearable' sound, and a little more of it. Dunno, just a thought. That and an EQ tweak might bring the right noise.

Albert Smith
08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Well here we go again, I just switched out my Ampeg B2r head for the SWR SM 500 Bass head.

Tim Bishop
08-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Well here we go again, I just switched out my Ampeg B2r head for the SWR SM 500 Bass head.Lol! Albert, what's up? I thought you were an Ampeg-man to the bone? What happened? :)

Keir Riggs
08-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Well .......... I finally have it !!! I have replaced my whole rig........ I now have a Markbass LMKII , Carvin BR 210 cab , Hartke Hydrive 410 . I can honestly say the Markbass will be the last amp I will ever own. Now I'm working on a Markbass 210 & 15 cab setup. The Carvin & Hartke will do for now for economic reasons , but I will have that MB setup!! :D

ED LOZANO
08-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Markbass II and SD 800 with various cabinets.

Igor Lepak
09-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I play thru a Genz benz shuttle max 12. Its 6.5 pounds ! I play it thriugh a 4ohm Swr 2x10 cab with Carvin neo speakers. Nice for that medium venue and great as a monitor.

Anton Hasias
09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi All,
No kidding I have tryed about everything and I decided to build my own rig considering the things I like to a bass rig (pure tube sound at a high quality and db level); So my main amp part is an Ampeg SVT-VR with a Mesa Powerhouse 1200W 4x12" and a slave part, only for powering this setup, which is an Ampeg SVT4 PRO with two boxes Ampeg SVT-410HLF and an Ampeg SVP 1600 with two boxes Ampeg SVT-18E. (all US made of course). This means 2300W RMS of pure and wild Smith sound.:eek:

Btw, the live sound technicians hate me and I have no neighbours, they left town...lol

Best regards

Dave Martin
09-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Since my last reply, I've been using a Fender Bassman TV 12. It's smaller and lighter than the SWR, it's retro look fits perfectly with the gigs I'm playing, and (with a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp), the sound is exactly what I need to have.

Christopher Rhodes
09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I recently played through a bass rig with the Shuttle 12.0 and 2x12 Aguilar. Wow! This amp really fills up a space nicely and not too big.

Brian Hewett
09-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I've been using an Eden WT800C with an Epifani UL2 4x10 for the last couple of years since getting back into playing professionally. This setup works very well for me and I've been very happy. In the Early 90's I used SWR equipment and it was great stuff and actually helped my playing quite a lot because the amps and cabinets were so clean that I could suddenly hear EVERYTHING I was doing. Before then I was used to playing through junk which was essentially hiding some bad faults. So, the SWR equipment was great for my playing but I find that the Eden amp is a bit warmer which I like a lot and it's just as clean and punchy as the SWR stuff. I can generally leave the EQ settings quite flat on the amp and can simply dial in many different sounds using my Smith bass EQ controls and varying the the way I pluck the strings by either shifting the location of my right hand or changing the the angle of attack or changing the strength of the attack or putting more or less meat of the finger into the attack or combinations of all the above.
The Epifani cabinet has a great smooth sound in all frequencies and for me it really shows off the beautiful sound of the Smith very well, at least to the best of my fingers abilities to make it sound as good as it can. I have another 4x10 cabinet of the same power rating as a backup cabinet although I don't like to have to play through it because the sound is not nearly as lively as the Epifani. It's more dull sounding and the highs and mids more harsh sounding to me. I'm open to trying other amplification equipment out there but there isn't much in my area in stock to try.

Justin Long
12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
WW Electracoustic Ultra
2 1x12 Bergantino Cabs

and sometimes i pull out the big daddy SWR Megoliath that normally just sits in the music room in my house..

Ronald Skinner
12-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I currenty using a Markbass 112 combo with a GK 112 Ext. cab for gigs. At church I'm using a MAckie1400i poweramp with a Dr.Bass 310 cab which really sound awesome.

Desmund Nichols
05-19-2011, 11:01 AM
I have been trying to find an amp to replace my Eden stuff, but nothing out there right now sounds good to me.

Tim Bishop
05-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I have been trying to find an amp to replace my Eden stuff, but nothing out there right now sounds good to me.Why? What is your current Eden set-up (i.e. which amp and which cabinet)?

frederic vidal
07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
My rig consists of :

Ampeg classic tubes head
Ampeg 8x10 cab
Avalon U5
Boss GT10B effect

At home and for small gigs

Markbass jeff berlin combo.

Steven Freitas
08-01-2011, 12:43 AM
SWR Headlite
SWR Amplite
Eden D210XST 8
Eden VSeries210 8
Boss Effects Pedalboard

Old standby

SWR original Redhead
Alesis Quadraverb rackmount
Ampeg single 15 extension cabinet

Scott Pope
08-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Carvin. No, don't laugh -- really! It's great! I've been playing Carvin since @ 1993 when I was single and had all the cash to get whatever I wanted, and after trying literally everything out there, what worked best for me was a PB300 head through a variety of cabs over the years with Carvin drivers, and an SWR Triad cab for most of that time.

Fast forward to present: needed to get rid of the weight of the cab and get a rig I can run both EB & DB through. And now, with wife & son, limited budget, of course.

Where to go: back to Carvin. Their new MB12 with a 1X12 + 1X6.5 + tweeter is the most neutral sounding amp I have ever played through. Just plug in and go, with minimal tweaking necessary. When I need that bottom 1/2 octave, I put it on top of a homemade ported 1X15 loaded with - you guessed it - a Carvin driver from @ 15 years ago that I used to use with the PB300. For price/performance, it beats all of the better known names and the "boutique" amps hands down.

Everyone on both the EB and DB side of the bands I play in are all really impressed with its clarity, tone and presence. For me, it is very easy to use, intuitive, has the best usable contour curve I've ever used that really brings out the character of instruments, not just some engineer's idea of slap tone, and very versatile, with two parametrics. It also has all the features we've all come to expect from an amp, including onboard compression and a really clean and quiet XLR line out. No, it doesn't have an fx loop, but I've never used one on bass, anyway.

Save yourself several hundred dollars on your next amp purchase and look into an MB12.

Steven Freitas
08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Nah, some of the Carvin stuff ain't that bad. Got a couple
of friends of mine running the power amps for PA use.
Pretty reliable. I know how it goes with family and such.
Getting my dream bass is 25+ years in the making. Still
saving up for it. LOL

Richard Pearson
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Since I just recently acquired CR5, heres a pic of my rig. My 2 Fearful cabs, and a LMII. I want to replace the LM with a pre/power amp setup to utilize the headroom I can get with these cabs. Plus I get a little distortion in the mids from that amp. The cabs are awesome with this bass, I highly recommend. They are very clear and articulate, perfect for the Ken Smith. A guy on Squawkbass designed them, and posted the plans for everyone to share, then he started his own forum site, with all the info. They are designed for the Eminnence 3015LF and 3012LF woofers, and utilize a 6" mid driver to cover everything above 700hz(don't quote me on that), plus you can add a high freq driver to get sizzle. They are LOUD, and light with the 15/6 weighing about 52lbs and the 12/6/1 about 10 pounds lighter. Anyway, I use this setup in a gigging cover band, but hope to break into the local jazz/funk scene eventually.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SH_Z3CFyhyw/TrF85dZXLCI/AAAAAAAAAak/iWxVy27O7bw/s512/Image.jpg

Lou Laurenti
11-02-2011, 04:53 PM

I play out of Epifani there the best and you can see them or purchse them at basssouthwest.com

Dirk Blarinckx
11-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Head :
EBS XD 750 Fafner II

cabs:
Hevos Powerset (2x10 + 1x15)
Hevos is a Dutch company. They design and build High Tech Amps and cabs!

Tim Bishop
11-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Head :
EBS XD 750 Fafner II

cabs:
Hevos Powerset (2x10 + 1x15)
Hevos is a Dutch company. They design and build High Tech Amps and cabs!Nice rig.

Wow....noticed the Smith top. Rare but great looking top on your Smith. What top wood is that? Looks like and reminds me of the Flamed Redwood that was used on the 20th. Ann. Models.

Dirk Blarinckx
11-28-2011, 10:12 AM
That is correct Tim! It's a KSA-5 20th anniversary in Flamed redwood!
its a Wonderfull bass! :-)

Dirk

Allan Todd
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Has anyone here used an Eden navigator wp100 with their smith bass ?
I've been offered one & I have a behringer ep4000 power amp that I could use with it through an Eden 4x10 xlt cab,
I'm just wondering what kind of tone the nav would produce compared with my trace Elliot ah600smx,

Tim Bishop
11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Has anyone here used an Eden navigator wp100 with their smith bass ?

Yes. :D

If you have a chance to pick up an Eden Navigator, I'd encourage you to grab it! You'll never need another pre-amp. The Navigator is awesome and the features are endless. And with your Eden 410XLT combined with a quality power-amp driving it; you should be VERY happy with that set-up.

Tim Bishop
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I've been offered one & I have a behringer ep4000 power amp that I could use with it through an Eden 4x10 xlt cab,
I'm just wondering what kind of tone the nav would produce compared with my trace Elliot ah600smx,

Sorry, I can't provide a comparison of your Behringer or Trace Elliot gear. Again, a quality amp is VERY important ;). Just make sure you know what you are pushing into your 410XLT cabinet :eek:!

Tim Bishop
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
....I have a behringer ep4000 power amp that I could use with it through an Eden 4x10 xlt cab,

Is your 410XLT an 8 or 4 ohm cabinet?

Allan Todd
11-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for that Tim, my cab is 8ohm, I sometimes run two of these cabs & my trace head will only run down to 4 ohms hence two 8ohm cabs, will the impedance make a difference Tim?

Tim Bishop
11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for that Tim, my cab is 8ohm, I sometimes run two of these cabs & my trace head will only run down to 4 ohms hence two 8ohm cabs, will the impedance make a difference Tim?
You will get way more coverage with 2 x 8 ohm cabinets as opposed to one (for sure). Whether you need 1 or 2 cabinets can only be determined by you and the area you are trying to cover (with or w/o FOH support).

My concern was more you being aware of your cabinets rating and power handling ability. The D410XLT(8) is rated to handle 700W. If, for example, you have a quality power amp that can pump out, say, 1000W or more at 8 ohms, you really need to be careful as to not overpower and damage your speakers: In this case, you'd have to trust your ears that your cabinet was not being over-powered. Make sense?

Allan Todd
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
If were going through foh I only use the one cab as an onstage monitor, I only really use the 2 cabs for the outdoor big gigs we do,
I'm going to try the nav out on Friday & I'll let you know how I get on with it,
Do you think the nav will sound close to the wt550 or 800 ?

Tim Bishop
11-29-2011, 12:08 PM
.....Do you think the nav will sound close to the wt550 or 800 ?

Remember - the WT550 and 800 are also power-amps. All three share the same Parametric EQ feature, Tone Controls and a few other options. However, with the added features the Nav provides coupled with a quality power-amp and right cabinet or cabinet combination (lets call this set-up The Beast), I give the advantage to The Beast and I've used both the WT-550 and 800 heads. Both are great heads (no question).

Allan Todd
11-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for that Tim, I'll let you know how I get on Friday,
Al

Tim Bishop
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for that Tim, I'll let you know how I get on Friday,
Al

Sounds good......Enjoy! :)

Allan Todd
12-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Oh well, it turned up but wouldn't switch on, I checked all the obvious fuse, mains cable ect, gutted,

Tim Bishop
12-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Oh well, it turned up but wouldn't switch on, I checked all the obvious fuse, mains cable ect, gutted,:confused: Can you elaborate?

Allan Todd
12-04-2011, 11:10 AM
It just wouldn't switch on Tim, there was no flicker or anything, I checked with a meter & there is power getting to the jumper leads inside, maybe the transformer has gone? I'm no tech so it's just a guess really,

Tim Bishop
12-04-2011, 01:54 PM
It just wouldn't switch on Tim, there was no flicker or anything, I checked with a meter & there is power getting to the jumper leads inside, maybe the transformer has gone? I'm no tech so it's just a guess really, Not following what you are referencing. What wouldn't switch on?

Allan Todd
12-04-2011, 02:47 PM
The on off switch on the navigator on the front panel, the switch moves ok & is working, I tested it with the multimeter but the nav won't power up,

Tim Bishop
12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
The on off switch on the navigator on the front panel, the switch moves ok & is working, I tested it with the multimeter but the nav won't power up,Are you sure you have the jumpers (inside the navigator) in the correct place to accept the voltage of your country. Is the voltage in UK 240v?