PDA

View Full Version : Body wood combo

Carlis Hsu
05-28-2012, 04:40 AM
Although the combination discussion may have been raised for too many times before... I still have a question -- is there any 7-piece body that comprises both maple core and maple top (flame, quilt, whatever) ?

Apart from the tone-wise considerations, I also wonder if a combo like: (top) light-dark-dark-light (core)-dark-dark-light (back) looks good...because almost every 7-piece body I have seen is constructed with light and dark pieces alternately.

I'm referring to Ken Smith basses only, of course.

Ken Smith
05-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Although the combination discussion may have been raised for too many times before... I still have a question -- is there any 7-piece body that comprises both maple core and maple top (flame, quilt, whatever) ?

Apart from the tone-wise considerations, I also wonder if a combo like: (top) light-dark-dark-light (core)-dark-dark-light (back) looks good...because almost every 7-piece body I have seen is constructed with light and dark pieces alternately.

You have me a little confused but on the first question, Maple Top and Back with Maple core can and has been done. I use in that case walnut and mahogany as the laminates but the contrast is less than dark/light etc.

On the second question, I am not sure what dark dark would be. The Top and Back are 2, the Core is 1 and the laminates are 4 (2 each matches on either side of the core on both wings) in a 7pc but usually contrasting laminates. To use all dark, just go with a 5-pc body.

In case you are anyone else are wondering, for a 5pc body, the laminates are all from one piece of 1-inch thick wood slides 4x and not from sliced of veneer cut in pieces. Our older basses were like that but in the past 15 years or so, all laminates are fully sawn timbers.
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/ft/shopsection/dissection.html

Ken Smith
05-28-2012, 05:17 AM

You have me a little confused but on the first question, Maple Top and Back with Maple core can and has been done. I use in that case walnut and mahogany as the laminates but the contrast is less than dark/light etc.

On the second question, I am not sure what dark dark would be. The Top and Back are 2, the Core is 1 and the laminates are 4 (2 each matches on either side of the core on both wings) in a 7pc but usually contrasting laminates. To use all dark, just go with a 5-pc body.

In case you are anyone else are wondering, for a 5pc body, the laminates are all from one piece of 1-inch thick wood slides 4x and not from sliced of veneer cut in pieces. Our older basses were like that but in the past 15 years or so, all laminates are fully sawn timbers.
As seen here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/ft/shopsection/dissection.html

Carlis Hsu
05-28-2012, 05:32 AM

My fault, bad expression.

I think that's what I was asking about. For example, walnut and mahogany are both dark in color (relative to maple). Thus, a 7pc body with maple top, back and core with walnut and mahogany laminates will lose a bit color contrast in my imagination. I've never seen one like that, so I am asking if such a bass has been built.

Ken Smith
05-28-2012, 05:43 AM
My fault, bad expression.

I think that's what I was asking about. For example, walnut and mahogany are both dark in color (relative to maple). Thus, a 7pc body with maple top, back and core with walnut and mahogany laminates will lose a bit color contrast in my imagination. I've never seen one like that, so I am asking if such a bass has been built.

Yes, we have made basses with walnut and mahogany laminates.

Like this 25th model;
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/neckthru/fusion4_B.jpg

Dave Eichman
08-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Yes I remember this one very well as I bought it new from Ken. The contrasting laminates are gorgeous on this bass.

Yes, we have made basses with walnut and mahogany laminates.

Like this 25th model;
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/neckthru/fusion4_B.jpg