PDA

View Full Version : G string

Franck Callebert
06-08-2012, 03:19 AM
Hi all,
I've got a minor problem on my BT4.
I strung it with a new set of DR MarcusMiller strings 45-105 and when i'm poping or playing the G string too hard, it went out of the saddle groove as if the groove was not deep enough to keep the string in place ...
Is there something to do ? surgery ? or just change to exposed core strings ?

Ken Smith
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi all,
I've got a minor problem on my BT4.
I strung it with a new set of xx xxxx xxxxxx strings 45-105 (not Smith) and when i'm poping or playing the G string too hard, it went out of the saddle groove as if the groove was not deep enough to keep the string in place ...
Is there something to do ? surgery ? or just change to exposed core strings ?

Ok, try the Smith strings (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/faq.html#Anchorstrings) and the bass if not altered since we set-up and cut that Nut should work.

Franck Callebert
06-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Yep Got to find this in France...
But in a taper core strings set, does every string is tapered or only the biggest ones (E, A ?)
If yes, it could solve my problem, if not, the outer diameter of the G string would be roughly the same and the problem will remain ... :confused:

Ken Smith
06-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Yep Got to find this in France...
But in a taper core strings set, does every string is tapered or only the biggest ones (E, A ?)
If yes, it could solve my problem, if not, the outer diameter of the G string would be roughly the same and the problem will remain ... :confused:

G and D are not tapered. The G has only one winding so nothing there to taper. The D is thin and the sound almost the same with or without taper if made with 2 windings so, we no longer taper the Ds.

You can groove the saddle deeper and raise it up as well. Do carefully as once cut, it is as it is.