PDA

View Full Version : radius

Jesse Swably
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
any one know the fretboard radius of a bsr5gn .

Ken Smith
07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
any one know the fretboard radius of a bsr5gn .

Measure the FB in several places and complete the circle. Then, measure across the circle. What we rough cut the FB at and what it finishes at after the hand-radiusing are not the same numbers. My guess is that 20 years ago, the cutter was made to an 18" radius but, it doesn't cut it perfect.

Jesse Swably
07-04-2012, 08:56 PM
this is a 2008 if that makes any difference and thanks for your quick resopnse

Ken Smith
07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
this is a 2008 if that makes any difference and thanks for your quick resopnse

No, no difference. We have maintained our cutters and sharpened or re-placed them to the original specs as needed. Hand-making is the only difference from bass to bass. Machines are used to just cut off the bulk of the wood. There is hand-work on every part of a Smith bass, Neck and Body.

Like I said, if you want exact measurements for a particular bass for what ever reason, just do the measurements. No two basses are exactly alike, ever.

Jesse Swably
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
one last thing just wondering if you plan to offer replacement pickups in a precision bass configuration . i would buy them in a second.

Ken Smith
07-04-2012, 10:51 PM
one last thing just wondering if you plan to offer replacement pickups in a precision bass configuration . i would buy them in a second.

You are a little late. In the 80s, we had them but, we stopped offering them soon after. Sorry.