PDA

View Full Version : 5 piece vs 7 piece neck

Jason Wilson
07-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone
I have been advised there is a difference in sound between a 5 piece neck & a 7 piece neck, so now I do not know what I should get. What is the right sound for me?
There are no Ken Smiths basses here in New Zealand for me to listen to to compare the sounds, so I would like to ask all of you for help.
Can someone please advise the what the difference in sound is between the 2?
I like a real grr to my sound, play a lot of slap and faster runs, want a tight low B, will the number of pieces in the neck make a difference to any of these??

Please help.

Cheers
Jason:cool:

Ken Smith
07-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone
I have been advised there is a difference in sound between a 5 piece neck & a 7 piece neck, so now I do not know what I should get. What is the right sound for me?
There are no Ken Smiths basses here in New Zealand for me to listen to to compare the sounds, so I would like to ask all of you for help.
Can someone please advise the what the difference in sound is between the 2?
I like a real grr to my sound, play a lot of slap and faster runs, want a tight low B, will the number of pieces in the neck make a difference to any of these??

Please help.

Cheers
Jason:cool:

The 7 is slightly brighter I think than the 5 and the extra laminates make the notes peek quicker than 1, 3, or 5 pieces. Like a room with walls to go around or not. The more turns, the more edge.

Being that you don't know how it will sound either way, let me say that the 5pc neck is a few glue joints less and they are the standard for us. In 32 years, we have not had a problem. If it were my bass, the 5 would be just fine.