PDA

View Full Version : Burner information and upgrade questions

Fernando Rosa
08-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Ken I have a 5 Burner serial 971 542 CM5 What you can say about this bass. The circuit 4 - Knob that you have to sell now is the same one used at the time or you did some modification? I wonder if you have any news for pre-amp 4 Knobs.

Thank you

Ken Smith
08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Ken I have a 5 Burner serial 971 542 CM5 What you can say about this bass. The circuit 4 - Knob that you have to sell now is the same one used at the time or you did some modification? I wonder if you have any news for pre-amp 4 Knobs.

Thank you

The 4-knob was 4 of the 5-knob BMT units. We no longer make that 9v unit. Sometime in the near future as needed, we will take some of the current 18v 5-knob units and design them for replacements for 4 or 5 knob units with one 9v battery like the originals but still have the internal DIP switch panel for eq pre-set changes.

Fernando Rosa
08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
The 4-knob was 4 of the 5-knob BMT units. We no longer make that 9v unit. Sometime in the near future as needed, we will take some of the current 18v 5-knob units and design them for replacements for 4 or 5 knob units with one 9v battery like the originals but still have the internal DIP switch panel for eq pre-set changes.

Ok Thank You!

And about my bass you have some information?

Ken Smith
08-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok Thank You!

And about my bass you have some information?

971542 CM5

97 .. 1997. The date is inside on the back plate.

1542 .. Number of basses made to date, this is the 1,542 Burner made.

CM5 .. C = Custom model, M = Maple, 5 = 5-string. Custom Maple 5-string.

Fernando Rosa
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
971542 CM5

97 .. 1997. The date is inside on the back plate.

1542 .. Number of basses made to date, this is the 1,542 Burner made.

CM5 .. C = Custom model, M = Maple, 5 = 5-string. Custom Maple 5-string.

I already liked my Burner. Now like most because I know more about it.

Thanks so Much Ken!! :)

What is the difference between Custom and Deluxe Model?

Ken Smith
08-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I already liked my Burner. Now like most because I know more about it.

Thanks so Much Ken!! :)

What is the difference between Custom and Deluxe Model?

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html

If you read the model differences in the link above, the custom is a 5pc neck, the deluxe a 3pc and the deluxe is ash body as opposed to maple or walnut on the custom.

Alejandro Zorrilla
05-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Hey Ken and fellow bass players!

I have a 5 string Burner from 1992 with serial numbre 92713 AM5

I know it is a 92´ made bass, and assuming it´s your 713th bass made but what is the A M 5?
Maple and 5 string seem logic but the A?

Also Ken do you remember the specs on the built in preamp used for this bass? It´s a bass - treble with pan and volume with push pull. I wonder if there is anywhere I could read about which frecuencies are affected en each band since I´m deciding wether or not to replace the preamp with an Aguilar OBP-2 preamp.

best!

Alejandrohttp://alejandrozorrilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ale-Zorrilla-12-1024x682.jpg

Ken Smith
05-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey Ken and fellow bass players!

I have a 5 string Burner from 1992 with serial numbre 92713 AM5

I know it is a 92´ made bass, and assuming it´s your 713th bass made but what is the A M 5?
Maple and 5 string seem logic but the A?

Also Ken do you remember the specs on the built in preamp used for this bass? It´s a bass - treble with pan and volume with push pull. I wonder if there is anywhere I could read about which frecuencies are affected en each band since I´m deciding wether or not to replace the preamp with an Aguilar OBP-2 preamp.

best!

Alejandrohttp://alejandrozorrilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ale-Zorrilla-12-1024x682.jpg

Green strings? Really?.. lol.. Please use Smith strings if you can.

AM5 means Artist maple 5-string.

In late 1992 we started using our USA 4-knob circuit, 2 boards with 2 pots each. In you have 4 seperate rubber encased pots/boards, then you have the earier Japan made circuit, a copy of our BT.

I don't remember the frequencies. Go by the sound, not the numbers. The bass, finish, wood, strings and Amp have to reproduce what the Circuit is trying to EQ. If the treble is too high or bass too low, the amp might not be compatible to send the frequencies back out.

These basses do NOT at all sound like the Smith basses we make here with our work, finish, pickups, etc. and nothing you do to that bass will change that. The sound is in the wood and that is what comes thru the amp.