PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern CA

Jeff Norman
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi all, my name is Jeff Norman, I live in Northern California were I play bass at the local Calvary Chapel. I have played bass for 34 years. My roots are in R&B, rock and jazz, although I like any style music that is played well. Favorite bassists include Jack Bruce, Billy Cox, Chris Squire, Jaco, Stanley Clarke, and my current favorite Alan Caron.

My first bass was a K, when I was about 16 I gradated to a ‘73 Fender precision, which I still have. Now my main bass is a BSR6EG with a quilted maple top, rescued from ebay. “Rescued” because this bass was advertised as mint, but when it arrived it was in pitiful condition, when first plugged it in it did not emit a very happy sound; it was hard to believe and understand how someone could have treated this beautiful bass so poorly:eek: . Fortunately, most of the problem was extreme grime, poor set-up and very dead strings. After some loving care, much cleaning, tweaking, polishing and a new set of smith strings this bass came alive:D . Aside from a fairly nasty buckle rash, this “elite” bass is now nearly perfect in every way. This is a testimony to a great instrument and quality craftsmanship!

I also dabble in the fretless realm, currently I play a Modulus Q6, with Barts and an Aquilar pre-amp. A very sweet bass, but it was second choice to a fretless twin to my Smith. Which is I am still looking for a used one; they seem to be very rare. If anyone has a lead here I would be much obliged.

My rig consists of an Alembic FX-1 pre-amp, Alembic Super Filter, Korg Tuner powered by a Stewart 2.1 into an Acme B-4 cab.

My inspiration comes from the Lord Jesus Christ, who “rescued” me and to whom who’s glory I play!

Thanks too all who have created and maintain this very useful, professional and informative site. I am looking forward to learning and contributing:) .

Jeff Norman

Ronson Hall
04-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi all, my name is Jeff Norman, I live in Northern California were I play bass at the local Calvary Chapel. I have played bass for 34 years. My roots are in R&B, rock and jazz, although I like any style music that is played well. Favorite bassists include Jack Bruce, Billy Cox, Chris Squire, Jaco, Stanley Clarke, and my current favorite Alan Caron.

My first bass was a K, when I was about 16 I gradated to a ‘73 Fender precision, which I still have. Now my main bass is a BSR6EG with a quilted maple top, rescued from ebay. “Rescued” because this bass was advertised as mint, but when it arrived it was in pitiful condition, when first plugged it in it did not emit a very happy sound; it was hard to believe and understand how someone could have treated this beautiful bass so poorly:eek: . Fortunately, most of the problem was extreme grime, poor set-up and very dead strings. After some loving care, much cleaning, tweaking, polishing and a new set of smith strings this bass came alive:D . Aside from a fairly nasty buckle rash, this “elite” bass is now nearly perfect in every way. This is a testimony to a great instrument and quality craftsmanship!

I also dabble in the fretless realm, currently I play a Modulus Q6, with Barts and an Aquilar pre-amp. A very sweet bass, but it was second choice to a fretless twin to my Smith. Which is I am still looking for a used one; they seem to be very rare. If anyone has a lead here I would be much obliged.

My rig consists of an Alembic FX-1 pre-amp, Alembic Super Filter, Korg Tuner powered by a Stewart 2.1 into an Acme B-4 cab.

My inspiration comes from the Lord Jesus Christ, who “rescued” me and to whom who’s glory I play!

Thanks too all who have created and maintain this very useful, professional and informative site. I am looking forward to learning and contributing:) .

Jeff Norman

Great gear, Jeff! And an even greater story. Welcome. God's best to you & yours! :o

Jeff Norman
04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Ronson, thanks for the welcome brother, I checked out your website, right on statement of faith!

I read a few of your earlier posts, did you get your Smith yet?

Ronson Hall
04-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Ronson, thanks for the welcome brother, I checked out your website, right on statement of faith!

I read a few of your earlier posts, did you get your Smith yet?

Thanks for asking, Jeff! Still waiting on that elusive bridge, but...I'm one day closer to receiving it than I was yesterday!! :D

Tim Bishop
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM

Jeff, what are you looking for in a Smith fretless? Feel free to PM or eMail me at any time.

Jeff Norman
04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Tim, my main requirements for a Smith fretless is that it be a BSR6EG; lined would be good, I can not afford a new one so I guess I can't be too picky about wood selections! Thanks Tim, I checked out your bass collection :cool: very impressive!

Tim Bishop
04-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Tim, my main requirements for a Smith fretless is that it be a BSR6EG; lined would be good, I can not afford a new one so I guess I can't be too picky about wood selections! Thanks Tim, I checked out your bass collection :cool: very impressive!

Jeff, send me an email or PM.

Ken Smith
04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for asking, Jeff! Still waiting on that elusive bridge, but...I'm one day closer to receiving it than I was yesterday!! :D

We will ship today or tomorrow to the address you requested..:cool:

Ronson Hall
04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
We will ship today or tomorrow to the address you requested..:cool:

Thank you, Ken!

To Al, Tim, and all interested Ken Smith Forum folks...I will be taking photos of this great event, from the time the UPS person gets here, the first time I smell that beautiful, perfectly-oiled Cocobolo wood, the first time I play it at church...well, you get the idea!

I'll post those photos as soon as my daughters instruct me on how to do it!

Thanks again, Ken.

And Don, thanks for the heart-stopping phone call! That was cool! :D

Tim Bishop
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you, Ken!

To Al, Tim, and all interested Ken Smith Forum folks...I will be taking photos of this great event, from the time the UPS person gets here, the first time I smell that beautiful, perfectly-oiled Cocobolo wood, the first time I play it at church...well, you get the idea!

I'll post those photos as soon as my daughters instruct me on how to do it!

Thanks again, Ken.

And Don, thanks for the heart-stopping phone call! That was cool! :D

Oh yeah! Bring on the photo's! Looking forward to seeing that big :D behind that new bass!!!

Richard Prowse
04-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Hey Jeff, make sure you check out the Down Here (NZ) thread.
Great to have you on board!
Richard