PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing an Elite

Rainer Bastian
04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Are there any experiences with refinishing a BSR Elite (fretless) ? What kind of lacquer affects the sound of the bass in which way ? I love the Smith tone and would have a result as close as possible to the original.

Of course I can send the bass to Ken but it is a nightmare on risks and costs from Germany... So I'm searching at alternatives...

Ken, is there any partner luthier in Europe who uses similar finishes ?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob Faulkner
04-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the current finish?

Ken Smith
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Are there any experiences with refinishing a BSR Elite (fretless) ? What kind of lacquer affects the sound of the bass in which way ? I love the Smith tone and would have a result as close as possible to the original.

Of course I can send the bass to Ken but it is a nightmare on risks and costs from Germany... So I'm searching at alternatives...

Ken, is there any partner luthier in Europe who uses similar finishes ?

Thanks for any advice.

We have a complicated process and is done all by hand except the Spraying of the lacquer itself. Shipping will not be cheap so anyone who can take the Bass apart and re-assemble it back to original would be a must. The Finish should not be too thick but protective. We use an oil mixture first to stain, seal and bring out the figure of the woods before we put the Lacquer coats on.

Laurent Vergnac
11-11-2007, 11:23 PM
We have a complicated process and is done all by hand except the Spraying of the lacquer itself. Shipping will not be cheap so anyone who can take the Bass apart and re-assemble it back to original would be a must. The Finish should not be too thick but protective. We use an oil mixture first to stain, seal and bring out the figure of the woods before we put the Lacquer coats on.

Hey Ken,

I have a BSR6GN MW how expensive would it be to do the lacquer finish on a Smith that has a natural finish?