PDA

View Full Version : Silver strap locks w/ gold hardware?

Joshua Phelps
09-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Was it ever "standard" to put silver strap locks on smiths with gold bridge & tuners?

Ken Smith
09-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Was it ever "standard" to put silver strap locks on smiths with gold bridge & tuners?

At one time, ages ago, the straploks were only available in a silver colored Nickle finish. Now we have 3 colors. I don't remember the dates, sorry.

Joshua Phelps
09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I've seen smiths up to as late as 2001 with them. Kinda cool & representive of the time period. They matched the jacks too. Thanks for the reply ken

Ken Smith
09-30-2012, 05:54 PM
I've seen smiths up to as late as 2001 with them. Kinda cool & representive of the time period. They matched the jacks too. Thanks for the reply ken

Jacks are always nickle/chrome color. In 2001 we had colors, I am sure. The brass plating on the Loks DO wear off. The gold on the Bridge and Tuners are from two different worlds and do not match 100% in the plating color. The Loks as well are from a different source and we almost never used gold plating, only brass plating because of the heavy wear.

Some people DO change their hardware parts and not necessarily the Loks. From here, they go out matched in color.

Joshua Phelps
10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
so the brass locks lose their finish slower than the gold platted ones?

Ken Smith
10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
so the brass locks lose their finish slower than the gold platted ones?

I don't know for sure but why waste the cost of gold plating if it will wear down to Nickle from usage? We use the brass plated ones unless there is a mistake in ordering or shipping from them.