PDA

View Full Version : 4, 5, or 6 string

Desmund Nichols
10-08-2012, 11:11 PM
For those who own multiples basses of different strings, how do you decide which one to play? When is a good time for a 4 string, 5 string, or 6 string? Or is it just random?

Joshua Phelps
10-09-2012, 06:45 AM
I always felt like more strings the better since you have a few more notes under your fingers & you never know when your going to need to break out some bach cello music while on your rock gig (joking) but as far as slapping goes I always feel like I can comfortably dig in on a 4 or 5 string since the c isn't great for that. On double bass I've never had a 5 string & regularly i don't get to join in when I see that low d & a couple other notes : /

Desmund Nichols
10-09-2012, 05:47 PM
im sure the 6 string is better for soloing.

Scott Pope
10-10-2012, 09:31 AM
The main purpose of a 5-string (low B) is not the extra low notes on a bass guitar from B to D#/Eb. The main purpose is faculty -- to be able to play patterns and progressions laterally rather than longitudinally (across the fret board instead of up-and-down the fretboard), which is more efficient and precise.

So...if you play repertoire that has technical aspects that would do better in this fashion, then a 5-string is most helpful.

Joshua Phelps
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Not on an upright. No one uses b string past the first few notes

Scott Pope
10-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Not on an upright. No one uses b string past the first few notes
Agreed. This is the electric bass guitar section of the forum.