PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Columbus

Tom Howard
04-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey all

I've been playing bass guitar for 25+ years and have taken up double bass in the last year and a half. My current basses are an American Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 string and a Carvin fretless 5'er (both with Ken Smith strings, of course :)) and a rental Shen SB80.

I'm enjoying the upright a great deal, playing in a volunteer chamber orchestra sponsored by my employer and taking jazz DB lessons from Doug Richeson.

The biggest issue I'm having is with improvisation. Having played rock bass for so many years, writing many bass lines but doing almost no improvisation, I'm finding it very difficult to "let go". I will be attending the Summer Jazz Workshop in Louisville this July, so I'm hoping that will help.

Take care
-tom

Ken Smith
04-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Biggest issue is Jazz Improv? I am just curious to know here in your mind. How do you compare the challenges between Jazz inprov and Playing Double Bass in an Orchestra? Have you played enough Orchestra music yet to get a taste of what's entailed to actually play in a Symphony?

To me Classical Bass is the most demanding style I have even encountered. I think at least for me, Improv is easy. No one to tell you the exact notes or dynamics to play and no Conductor to follow either? Also, playing in a section is way harder than playing by yourself. If you like the Classical thing and can put even more time into it, join a community Orchestra as well as the Chamber group. Studying Classical will prepare you for just about anything on the Bass except for feel!

Tom Howard
04-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I say biggest issue because that's my ultimate goal. I joined the orchestra basically because I thought it'd help my intonation and dynamics - which it is a great deal. And I am enjoying it.

But my goal isn't to play classical. My goal is to play jazz. For me, it's more of an internal struggle. I've always written my bass lines and played them the same way every time. There's a certain comfort level involved there. Improvisation removes that comfort level, leaving me to rely on my knowledge and skills. All part of the process, I guess.

Richard Prowse
04-07-2007, 03:04 AM
I say biggest issue because that's my ultimate goal. I joined the orchestra basically because I thought it'd help my intonation and dynamics - which it is a great deal. And I am enjoying it.

But my goal isn't to play classical. My goal is to play jazz. For me, it's more of an internal struggle. I've always written my bass lines and played them the same way every time. There's a certain comfort level involved there. Improvisation removes that comfort level, leaving me to rely on my knowledge and skills. All part of the process, I guess.
Music should be the notes you choose. We call that improvisation. Ken is right when he implies that Classical Music is hard to play... it certainly is!
Tom, follow your journey and (as we said in the 1970's) be free.
Hey, it's great to have you on Ken's Corner. Please check out the Down Here (NZ) thread.
Richard

Jack Vogel
04-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Music should be the notes you choose. We call that improvisation. Ken is right when he implies that Classical Music is hard to play... it certainly is!
Tom, follow your journey and (as we said in the 1970's) be free.
Hey, it's great to have you on Ken's Corner. Please check out the Down Here (NZ) thread.
Richard

Sometimes its the notes someone else chose, like Mozart or Beethoven,
and when you play that its easier for someone to say you got it wrong
(rather than saying 'oh no, i was going for that altered chord there, not a
wrong note ' :)) Thats what Ken means and I would tend to agree.

Jazz bass is hard in different ways from classical however, they are both
great experiences I might add .