PDA

View Full Version : Treager Book

Jeremy Darrow
11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
I'd like to get a good set-up and repair guide for my library at home. Mostly for my own edification, I don't intend to dive into any major repairs. Is the Treager book a good place to start? I'd love to hear any other recommendations.

Ken Smith
11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I'd like to get a good set-up and repair guide for my library at home. Mostly for my own edification, I don't intend to dive into any major repairs. Is the Treager book a good place to start? I'd love to hear any other recommendations.

It is the only book available that I know of on the direct subject of bass repair. The original Elgar books (1 and 2) had some repair info as well but they are no longer in print.

On the CT book, I don't agree with some of the ways he repairs basses and will not allow some of those methods done on my basses. Some people swear by his work and some swear AT it!

Methods done today by the better luthiers that I have met have evolved from the older ways, often from seeing how those methods either failed of caused further damage. You don't really know how good or bad a repair is until the bass goes back out in the field for 20-50 years. Sometimes you can tell in less time.

I have both of his books, mainly for 'my' Library. It's a book on Bass stuff so I wanted to have them. I am sure you can learn something from them but also know that some ways of repairs are for lower grade basses only.

Arnold Schnitzer
11-17-2012, 09:14 AM
"Violin Restoration" by Hans Weisshaar and Margaret Shipman is considered the finest work on the subject of string instrument repair, and is worth every dollar (very expensive).

Jeremy Darrow
11-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Ken and Arnold, for your replies. The Weisshaar book is out or my range right now. Though, it looks beautiful.

Ken, I have Elgar's "Looking at the Double Bass". What are the the two titles you're referring to?

Arnold, congratulations on your award at VSA, it's well-deserved. I had the chance to spend a few minutes with the bass that you made for Joel Reist, it's a great bass.

Ken Smith
11-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks, Ken and Arnold, for your replies. The Weisshaar book is out or my range right now. Though, it looks beautiful.

Ken, I have Elgar's "Looking at the Double Bass". What are the the two titles you're referring to?

Arnold, congratulations on your award at VSA, it's well-deserved. I had the chance to spend a few minutes with the bass that you made for Joel Reist, it's a great bass.

Introduction to the Double Bass (first book)

More About the Double Bass (second book)

You have the 3rd book. I got mine (the set of 3) around 1969.