PDA

View Full Version : Western vs tiger maple?

Joshua Phelps
11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
What are the differences in these woods as a core wood choice? They both can figure right?

Ken Smith
11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
What are the differences in these woods as a core wood choice? They both can figure right?

Western is a location description.

Tiger is a figure description.

We have Western Tiger Maple here from USA and Western Canada. We use that mainly for Top woods but if the figure across the piece is weak, it might be used for matched cores in sets or single pieces sliced up for laminate/veneers.

The same goes for Eastern Tiger Maple but currently, most of the Top woods are Western Tiger. The Black Tiger model usually has Eastern Tiger for core woods.

For Cores, the Western can be low figured Tiger or Quilted pieces or even some mix between them. When used as a core, you only see the figure on the edges. Higher figured Western pieces if across the face is split for tops. Lower figured boards that are flatsawn show more tiger around the sides.

The Eastern is Tiger figured but the amount figure around the sides will vary depending on the model.

Usually, the model determines the variety and figure amount.

Joshua Phelps
11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
I love seeing the highly figured core on maple core. I'm kinda worried my bsr I ordered isn't going to have enough figure on the top & core.

Ken Smith
11-17-2012, 11:50 PM
I love seeing the highly figured core on maple core. I'm kinda worried my bsr I ordered isn't going to have enough figure on the top & core.

What model did you order, a GN or a TN? The difference is only $200 but the TN has better figure on the Top and the Core. Stated on the GN page (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/neckthru/bsrgnbtg.html) is this;
*Maple/Walnut Combinations are now Tiger Series Models*

So, if you want the figured walnut (3a average grade (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/woodpages/walnutgrades.htm)) and a Tiger maple core, you have to order the TN. The GN will have walnut and maple if requested BUT, it will not look as highly figured as a GN.

Joshua Phelps
11-18-2012, 01:11 AM
I ordered a bsr5gn. I really don't want to screw myself over $200.

Ken Smith
11-18-2012, 06:42 AM
I ordered a bsr5gn. I really don't want to screw myself over $200.

Well, the difference is only the figure and the price. I think you can still change the order and make it into a TN.

Joshua Phelps
11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Consider it done. Ill contact my retailer to email you & make it official.

Thanks ken

Ken Smith
11-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Consider it done. Ill contact my retailer to email you & make it official.

Thanks ken

It's not too late to make that change now that I am aware of it.

Joshua Phelps
11-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Sorry I should have been more specific. When I said done deal I ment that I was going to defiantly change to "tn" black tiger. I can't wait to own & play this bass. It's going to be my "casket bass" so I need it to be a total package with looks & playability :)

Desmund Nichols
11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
I have a TN. I LOVE IT. Freaking awesome.

Tim Bishop
11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I have both 'TN' and 'TNE': Goin' nowhere soon - someone will have to pry them both from my cold dead hands. :eek:

Bob Faulkner
11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Well, the bass I learned to play on will be in the casket with me.. It's a POS and deserves to be put somewhere no one will ever have to suffer it's inadequacy again..

My Smith is too nice to lock away forever in a casket.. It will probably go to one of my kids..

Franck Callebert
11-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Ok Bob ! Please adopt me ! :D