PDA

View Full Version : Black Tiger vs White Tiger

Desmund Nichols
12-27-2012, 05:21 AM
Can anyone describe the tonal difference between the two?

Desmund Nichols
02-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Does anybody know.

Desmund Nichols
02-02-2013, 11:17 PM
I have a Black Tiger 5 and I want a White Tiger 5. Or a tiger maple with mahogany core. Looking to get it before winter this year.

Ken Smith
02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Desmond, to me, Maple topped basses that we make have a warmer feel with less mids than do Walnut topped basses. The Lows are thicker and the highs tighter due to having less natural mids.

With a White Tiger model, the Walnut core is used to enhance the mids.

A mahogany core would be different in coloring the sound of the Maple. Usually a tight warm sound.

Also, there is a bit of variation in all of the woods so there is no exact answer. Just the general sounds these combinations produce.

Desmund Nichols
08-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Now that I have the maple/maple, I totally see what you mean. Its like the bass doesn't have the aggression my 5TN has. I don't think my bass has really formed into its true tone yet though.

Desmund Nichols
10-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Now that I have the maple/maple, I totally see what you mean. Its like the bass doesn't have the aggression my 5TN has. I don't think my bass has really formed into its true tone yet though.

Update: My 5EG maple/maple has finally come into its tone. That bass sounds awesome. It is working its way up to replace my 5TN as my #1 bass. Now I am thinking of another wood combination to get...

Ken Smith
10-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Update: My 5EG maple/maple has finally come into its tone. That bass sounds awesome. It is working its way up to replace my 5TN as my #1 bass. Now I am thinking of another wood combination to get...

Ok, let me know if you need help interpreting those thoughts into words and woods! ;)