PDA

View Full Version : Break In Period

Desmund Nichols
12-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Is there a certain time frame or "break in" period where the basses settle into its tone? I've had my Black Tiger for 6 years now, and it sounds better now than it has ever sounded before, especially when i first got it. Does the bass have to mature a little? How long does it take for a bass to mature into its tone?

Ken Smith
12-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Is there a certain time frame or "break in" period where the basses settle into its tone? I've had my Black Tiger for 6 years now, and it sounds better now than it has ever sounded before, especially when i first got it. Does the bass have to mature a little? How long does it take for a bass to mature into its tone?

It is hard to say. The Cocobolo being harder then Walnut might take longer to break in but the other wood parts are similar. Your TN is oil finish and this Elite is lacquer finish. The change in sound over time might be slightly slower but will continue to mature for years to come. Strings have to break in a bit too. They were put on that bass on Monday, x-mas eve day. You came the day after x-mas so they are barely stretched in-tune yet.

Desmund Nichols
12-30-2012, 01:01 AM
I also am remembering how long it took for my Black Tiger to age. The tone I have now I didn't have when I first got the bass.