PDA

View Full Version : series/parallel

Desmund Nichols
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm sorta embarrased to ask this because I have a new 6EG and I have a 5TN which I've had for 6 years now. Both have the series parallel switches. Till this day I still don't know what they do besides change the sound of the bass. I know that flipping the switch up puts the bass in series mode. I guess I want to know the concept. What is parallel mode and what is series? Does it turn off the coils or something? Does it make the pups stronger?

Ken Smith
01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm sorta embarrased to ask this because I have a new 6EG and I have a 5TN which I've had for 6 years now. Both have the series parallel switches. Till this day I still don't know what they do besides change the sound of the bass. I know that flipping the switch up puts the bass in series mode. I guess I want to know the concept. What is parallel mode and what is series? Does it turn off the coils or something? Does it make the pups stronger?

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/faq.html#AnchorSP

To get more technical we can also go into how a Tree grows from high to low altitude, dry to wet climate and winter and summer growth.

In the end, what you know already is all that is needed. There are 2 coils in your pick-up so that when wired either way, it is humbucking. One way is brighter and one way is deeper. That is the Series/Parallel without a diagram.

The Series way is like 2 coils together to make one big pickup. The Parallel way is like 2 separated coils as separate pickups wired together as one like puching the two pickups on a Jazz bass against each other.

Enjoy your new bass. ;)