PDA

View Full Version : Grooved fingerboard - how hard it is to fix?

Pete Wood
02-18-2013, 05:07 AM
Hi all,
probably a common question. Got a nice thick board on my German 3/4 neck. Had a velvet anima snap and are in the process of ordering a new set. Came to my attention that the board is grooved noticably, say 1mm deep. I don't think it's unplayable at all, but it will need some attention at some stage. We have no money at the moment really. I can just afford to replace the strings.

How hard is it to shave the board down? What the method? How much do you shave it down by?

I've build a number of electric basses now. Two fretless and 3 with frets. I figure I might be able to do it. I've got some straight edges and scrapers. What do you all think?

Ken Smith
02-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi all,
probably a common question. Got a nice thick board on my German 3/4 neck. Had a velvet anima snap and are in the process of ordering a new set. Came to my attention that the board is grooved noticably, say 1mm deep. I don't think it's unplayable at all, but it will need some attention at some stage. We have no money at the moment really. I can just afford to replace the strings.

How hard is it to shave the board down? What the method? How much do you shave it down by?

I've build a number of electric basses now. Two fretless and 3 with frets. I figure I might be able to do it. I've got some straight edges and scrapers. What do you all think?

Do not attempt this your self. Cambering and dressing a DB FB is not a job for a beginner. Electric basses are different, completely. Play it as-is until you can get it to a DB luthier who knows how to dress a FB without taking out too much or over scooping it. This is not something to learn on the internet. If you ruin the board, the cost of replacing it will be a shock.

Brian Gencarelli
02-18-2013, 08:52 AM
You should get in touch with Matthew Tucker. He's close to you and can do some great work. I would bet he would be willing to work something out with you... at least contact him before you attempt this! If not, you might be visiting him and paying double what you would for this in the first place!

Best,
Brian

Pete Wood
02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice :)