PDA

View Full Version : German or Czech ?

Mike Weems
03-04-2013, 07:11 PM
I wound up with this bass last year and am just now getting to began repair/restor. I was told that it is a German bass circa 1890s. I am not so sure of this. To make matters more difficult in so far as identification goes the body has been punished to the point where most of the details are gone. the only part of the instrument still acceptably intact is the tuner box and scroll. It dose have a string lenght of 42". Here are some photos to start with.

Ken Smith
03-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Where is the Back and Ribs?

It can be both German and Czech together. The Czech-German border shops also worked together and individually. This would be a Saxon/Bohemian style generically is from that area BUT, I have not seen the whole instrument. Stand the Top up so I can see a straight shot of it. Looking at it sideways or at various angles makes it harder to look at.

Mike Weems
03-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I probably should not post when tired. this bass came to me in pieces and the fiew glue joints still together where held with screws and or nails. If you need more rib photos just let me know. Again thanks for all your time and efort.

Ken Smith
03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
This looks totally German to me from a factory in Klingenthal or Berlin, possibly Markneukirchen or maybe from or with a Czech border side shop. That area of the world within less than a 200 mile radius. Mainly that distance north to sound and a fraction of that east to west. Just a guess. ;)

The repair looks to be more expensive than the bass is worth to be fully done to high standards unless you are doing only the minimal amount of work needed and working for minimum wage or less. This is a big job.

Brian Gencarelli
03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Hey Mike,

I have a couple like this in the shop. (condition that is...) It is truly a labor of love to get one of these basses back to life. If you ever want to compare notes or chat about basses feel free to get in touch. I am just down the road and pretty often in Anderson. I am principal bass in GAMAC.

Best of Luck,
Brian

Mike Weems
03-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Yes it is a big job but the bass belongs to me so I can work on it at my conveinance. This one will be to hone skills so to speek. Thanks again for the info. If the instrument comes out well I will come back and post photos. At this point this bass suffers from the Charlie Brown christmas tree sendrone in that every time that I move it something else falls off.