PDA

View Full Version : Juzek 5 string?

Kai Sanchez
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Has anyone seen a five string Juzek? There is a local Juzek flatback for sale, and I saw it has an extra tuning peg hole but everything else looks like a regular 4 string 3/4 size Gamba corner flatback Juzek. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics and can't see the bass again until August.

Ken Smith
06-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Has anyone seen a five string Juzek? There is a local Juzek flatback for sale, and I saw it has an extra tuning peg hole but everything else looks like a regular 4 string 3/4 size Gamba corner flatback Juzek. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics and can't see the bass again until August.

The Flatback Juzeks are prewar. In that catalog (I have the 1934 book), there is no mention of a 5er and this is the first I have ever heard mention of one.

So, it is either a later modification or, not a bass made for Juzek. Pics would help of course.

If looking for a 5er, I have a beautiful Hofner from 1977 (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/5string/). The neck was just moved out to make it easier to play the outer strings and, the spacing is the same as a 4-string but one string wider. I am currently at the ISB in Rochester and showed the bass today to an orchestra pro that plays mainly 5-string in his section. He said the spacing and playability is very playable.

Let me know if you are interested by email @ sales@kensmithbasses.com

Kai Sanchez
06-09-2013, 12:49 AM
The Flatback Juzeks ar prewar. In that catalog (I have he 1934 book), there is no mention of a 5er and this is the first I have ever heard mention of one.

So, it is either a later modification or, not a bass made for Juzek. Pics would help of course.

If looking for a 5er, I have a beautiful Hofner from 1977 (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/5string/). The neck was just moved out to make it easier to play the outer strings and, the spacing is the same as a 4-string but one string wider. I am currently at the ISB in Rochester and showed the bass today to an orchestra pro that plays mainly 5-string in his section. He said the spacing and playability is very playable.

Let me know if you are interested by email @ sales@kensmithbasses.com

That's Ken for the info, that Five string hofner you have is a real beauty. I'm looking for a four string, I'm just a but curious to know if the Juzek I saw has the original neck since I haven't seen in person or on the internet a five string Juzek. Someone on talkbass said he has a five string bass with a juzek label.
I'll post some pics even if I don't end up purchasing the bass.

Ken Smith
06-09-2013, 02:51 AM
That's Ken for the info, that Five string hofner you have is a real beauty. I'm looking for a four string, I'm just a but curious to know if the Juzek I saw has the original neck since I haven't seen in person or on the internet a five string Juzek. Someone on talkbass said he has a five string bass with a juzek label.
I'll post some pics even if I don't end up purchasing the bass.

Not all labels are where they belong.