PDA

View Full Version : E or E/C to match Orig Flex G, D, A

Ken Smith
07-07-2013, 01:19 AM
This may have been discussed some time ago and maybe even by me but I am drawing a blank here.

I have some sets with G, D, A Orig Flex and had them matched up with the last of my Stark Flex 92s E/C string that is now basically discontinued. I bought up the remaining stock a few years ago and needed these last few to match up with some other sets so I pulled them out.

Now, I need an E or E/C to match with the Orig Flex GDA. The choices are usually;

1, Orig Flex (too dark for some),

2, Orig Flat Chrome (not a sound or tension match),

3, Flex 92 Stark (when they were available),

4, Permanents (these have worked for me on the E or A&E with Orig's),

5, or a Helicore E or E/C that many orchestra players use (but to my ear they just don't match in tone)

So, I don't know what basses these sets will go on or if it will be a bass that has an Extension but I do need to refresh my memory or the best choices for that set mix. I have done some 2 & 2 with Permanents but for just the E or E/C, I don't recall using anything but a Permanent to mix with the other three that were slightly used anyway.

Your thoughts please?

Scott Pope
07-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Well, of course, there are also the T-I Praecizion, Superflexible, and several Spirocore variants.

Ken Smith
07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Well, of course, there are also the T-I Praecizion, Superflexible, and several Spirocore variants.

Will they match in sound, feel and gauge or come as close as Permanents?

Scott Pope
07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Probably not, but T-I now also makes a Bel Canto extended E. I have no experience with it; as a matter of fact I discontinued the Bel Canto regular E string on my bass in favor of a Spiro 3885.5W. I only say this because of the different worlds of pizz and arco. Since it did not do well for me at all as a pizz string, but felt good for the minimal arco I do, it might coordinate with what you're looking for in a long E string.

Ken Smith
07-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Probably not, but T-I now also makes a Bel Canto extended E. I have no experience with it; as a matter of fact I discontinued the Bel Canto regular E string on my bass in favor of a Spiro 3885.5W. I only say this because of the different worlds of pizz and arco. Since it did not do well for me at all as a pizz string, but felt good for the minimal arco I do, it might coordinate with what you're looking for in a long E string.

The Bel's have little in common with the sound and tension of the Orig Flex. With the Bel's on the other 3 strings, the Bel E/C works fine. It is not a match in any way that I know of with a Flexocor Orig. set. I have however used Flex 92 Stark E/Cs with the 3 Bels and that works but not in reverse.

Dave Whitla
12-03-2022, 05:48 PM
The Bel's have little in common with the sound and tension of the Orig Flex. With the Bel's on the other 3 strings, the Bel E/C works fine. It is not a match in any way that I know of with a Flexocor Orig. set. I have however used Flex 92 Stark E/Cs with the 3 Bels and that works but not in reverse.

This thread is pretty old, so maybe you've already found your match, but on my old Lejeunne I have Flexocor D and A (with a Passione G, which is a very successful match that was suggested by Adrian Muller from Pirastro). I have tried a few extended Es with them, and the Bel Canto sounds and ùmatches the best.