PDA

View Full Version : ISB convention

Flint Buchanan
04-11-2007, 09:43 PM
So-who should go to the ISB convention?

As a decidely amateur, adult beginner double-bassist, is there anything that I could get out of going? Or is this primarily a reunion for folks from college, or gigging guys from NYC?

Eric Hochberg
04-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Anyone with an interest in the double bass should go. There are numerous performances by world class bassists in many genres, although primarily classical. The concerts are great and it's wonderful to check out so many great players back to back. As a beginner, you will learn a lot just by watching and listening. You'll discover what the bass is really capable of. There are also lectures you may find interesting. I spent 3 days at the last convention in Kalamazoo and really enjoyed it.

Flint Buchanan
04-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm really not a shill for the convention. I just live in a somewhat isolated bass world-as an adult beginner in a college town, and not a part of the local college bass program.

I'd still like to hear from others-especially folks who might have been (or are) in the same situation as me.

I'm guessing that folks generally drive to this so they can get their basses to the convention?

Ken Smith
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
How can you be defending your Thread. It's not like you are possibly taking business away from some of the other Bass conventions! It's THE game in town and I feel BAD every year when I just can't make it down there myself. I think in the future, I will make an effort next time it's close.

If there are any other Bass gatherings around to mention for the DB, PLEASE be a Shill if that's what it takes for us to find out about it..:D

John Sprague
04-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi Flint,

You can check out the schedule (http://www.isbworldoffice.com/convention/schedule.html) to see what workshops and concerts you'd want to see. Maybe that will help you with your decision.

Flint Buchanan
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Is this the kind of thing where you can go to part of the convention if you can't attend the whole thing?

JoeyNaeger
04-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm going for the first time this year. Me and a friend will be roadtripping up and spending the whole week there. I'm very excited about it.

Jack Vogel
04-14-2007, 11:27 PM
For posting that URL, I had NO idea how much content there was.
My teacher was prodding me into going and I always am a tight-wad
and don't want to spend the money :)

I think this might be the year I do it though... Just wish they didnt
pick such a out of the way city :(

Jack

Ryan Baird
04-15-2007, 01:03 AM
This will be my first experience at the ISB convention, I am really looking forward to it! From what I have heard: if you can go, you need to!