PDA

View Full Version : Pirastro-Evah Pirazzi

Flint Buchanan
04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I've started this thread for anyone who gets a the first sets that come out.

I'm very interested in these, especially as compared to their cousins-Obligatos.

Marcus Johnson
09-01-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm putting a set on today, I'll get back to you. I'm an ex- Obligator.

Marcus Johnson
09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Okay, played the first gig last night, an unamplified duo. When compared to Obligatos, the Pirazzis feel much more substantial, slightly higher in tension. They feel quite a bit like Olivs to me. No roll at all. Nice strong fundamental when pizzed, and very even throughout their range. Just bigger overall sound than Oblis. The E may be slightly lacking at this point, but I need to give them a chance to get used to the bass and vice versa. Maybe play with the string height a bit.

I can't address the orchestral arco issue, but my early impressions of the jazz arco capabilities are very positive. Lovely, complex tone, and they respond very quickly on my bass. I actually found myself looking forward to bowing improvised solos, and going for ideas that I might have balked at on other strings. I'm looking forward to exploiting this aspect of these strings.

I think they're a winner. They aren't Olivs, but they're pretty close for a fraction of the price. We'll see how it pans out, I have lots of gigging and recording coming up.

Charles Federle
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Pirastro sent me a set to test yesterday, put a set on last night. For my bass they are nice and dark, and a decent response once they got enough rosin on them. Also a very loud string with good punch, I do also like how well they reflect accents (both left and right hand). Compared to the Bel Cantos and Orig Flexs they are much thicker. Going to try them out in the real world here soon and hopefully they will be a string I am very happy with.

Ken Smith
09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Pirastro sent me a set to test yesterday, put a set on last night. For my bass they are nice and dark, and a decent response once they got enough rosin on them. Also a very loud string with good punch, I do also like how well they reflect accents (both left and right hand). Compared to the Bel Cantos and Orig Flexs they are much thicker. Going to try them out in the real world here soon and hopefully they will be a string I am very happy with.

This is a Bowing String mainly?

Charles Federle
09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
This is a Bowing String mainly?

For me they are, though it seems to be fairly popular with those using gut as well (for pizz). I keep meaning to try them out and see how they are pizzwise, but I keep getting distracted. Granted I am most likely not the best person to judge a string's pizz qualities.

Ken Smith
09-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I emailed Pirastro about these Strings as I have in the past tested and judged many of their sets over the last few years. This is the description attachment he emailed me back. I will also post results after testing the orchestra qualities with the Ext E/C string which is on the way to me.

From Pirastro:
Evah Pirazzi Double Bass;

The tremendous success of our Obligato strings for double bass has encouraged us to further develop double bass strings with a synthetic core.
The result is our new double bass string set Evah Pirazzi „BASS“. This set is a hybrid set, suitable for both Arco and Pizzicato playing. Evah Pirazzi strings offer outstanding tuning stability, a very short playing-in-time and an astonishing resistance to rolling. Similar to the Obligato bass strings, Evah Pirazzi ’BASS’ Strings are resistant to changes in humidity and temperature. All strings are wound with chrome steel and smoothly polished.
The big, powerful, warm and round sound of the strings is combined with an accentuated low frequency spectrum and an exceptional resonance with a good sustain. The response is quick allowing for easy left and right hand articulation. Due to the phenomenal projection of the Evah Pirazzi bass strings the beautiful richness of the range of colors and nuances can be heard even in big concert halls. The development of these bass strings was aimed at producing a sound that is as close to gut strings as possible.
Evah Pirazzi ’BASS’ is an ideal string for musicians playing both Arco and Pizzicato. First and foremost the bow response is excellent and when playing pizzicato the long sustain fully and freely evolves.
Pirastro’s color code:
Evah Pirazzi “Bass” colour code at the tailpiece end: black spiral on light green
Tone colour at the peg end: G – brown; D – red; A – black; E – green; H5 – yellow; E 2.10m - green

There it is straight from Germany. Each player and each Bass must be tested for the optimum string match. I use more than one String type for various Basses or musical needs. If you play one Bass and one style you may be able to use only one String type but everyone gets the 'itch' from time to time to taste 'other fruits'!

Greg Clinkingbeard
09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
http://www.pirastro.com/homeset.html

scroll down for DB

I've settled on Mittels on the bottom and Obligatos on top. These do look interesting though.

Ken Smith
09-07-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.pirastro.com/homeset.html

scroll down for DB

I've settled on Mittels on the bottom and Obligatos on top. These do look interesting though.

Yes, I know it's from the website but it came to me from the guy that is in charge there so it's the final word.

He also added this comment in his email; These strings are perfectly balanced for both styles - pizz and arco. Dark and powerful sound in a way like modern gut strings but with more punch.

Greg Clinkingbeard
09-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I wanted to give the not so final, errrrrrrrr final, not so final word.:confused:
They have a nice picture on their site.;)

Ken Smith
09-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I wanted to give the not so final, errrrrrrrr final, not so final word.:confused:
They have a nice picture on their site.;)

I don't think any single string is the final solution for all. It's just great that we have so many choices to choose from these days. We had much less choice 30 years ago and before.

Ken Smith
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I just got my Extension set today and put them on. They are still stretching so I will play them throughout the day as time allows and re-tune as needed.

I wasn't sure which Bass to try them on so I called Arnold to get his input. He suggested I try them on my Gilkes (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/GilkesBass/GilkesBass.htm) so I did. Listed below is the first reaction playing them only a few minutes. I will update the list as they break in and have more to say about them.

First off, I replaced a regular set of Flexocor Strings with the EPs and they are only about .010" at most thicker than the Flexs so not much of a change on the string slots. The Gilkes had Stark Flexs after its restoration and a few months later put the regular gauge on the the slots started out larger to begin with.

The EPs feel very soft on the left hand and believe it or not, slightly smoother sounding on the Bow on the 'G' string to me. Maybe it's more of how the Bow and string grab each other rather than smoothness but in either case, I like the feel. The E/C sounds bigger and more open than it did with the Flexs as well. The 'A' string is also wider sounding. The 'A' and 'D' though did sound deeper before but tighter. The sound is more open now for the time being.

Second, the Pizz is very jazzy as compared to the thumpier sounding Flexs or at least on this Bass. The Gilkes has a fairly 'dry' sound as compared to others I have or have played so any help getting it more 'olive oil' sounding is a plus in my book. The Gilkes sounds even more open than it did an hour ago and a more penetrating sound filling the room as well. The Flexs might have been a bit darker sounding but with less overall sound behind it.

Bottom line so far after a few minutes? I like these strings. They feel soft under my fingers, and grab the Bow well with a slight edge on the definition of each note. The Gilkes is now more suitable for jazz work as well.

More to come as I play them .....

Marcus Johnson
09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Good review. I really love the front of the notes with these strings, both arco and pizz. They were actually a little stiffer than I expected.... maybe because in my mind I was still holding onto the feel of the Obligatos that I'd used in the past. They're not like that at all. They really feel just about right on my bass; soft feel, yet with enough feedback to allow me to dig in.

Ken Smith
09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Good review. I really love the front of the notes with these strings, both arco and pizz. They were actually a little stiffer than I expected.... maybe because in my mind I was still holding onto the feel of the Obligatos that I'd used in the past. They're not like that at all. They really feel just about right on my bass; soft feel, yet with enough feedback to allow me to dig in.

Coming from Flexocors, I see them as looser to me. Definitely way looser as compared to the diameter difference as these EPs are meaty in size but feel so so soft to the touch. A real winner in my book. I was starting to like the Bel's on a few basses I tried them on but the 'E' was always too soft sounding and the strings themselves had no center to the sound. These new EPs have plenty or lows, sweetness of tone and guts as well. "What took so long?" is the question.

Today they are holding pitch much better and my Gilkes has never sounded better. I was using my Martini for Orchestra for its added depth and power until I made the string change yesterday on my Gilkes. Today I AB'd them again asking one of my people here to go in the next room by my Bench and listen thru the wall. Usually the Martini shakes the floor and the Gilkes has more mid type presence. This time, the Gilkes shook my work bench thur the wall, the Martini didn't!

They say the proof is in the pudding and I'm getting fat on it..lol (or is that 'phat'?)

Charles Federle
09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
My only real problem with the EPs sometimes is that they have a narrow band in which you can control them and get a good sound. I kept thinking with these big strings I needed to hit them harder, and that is just not good (lots of attach sound no tone), but on the same time if I am to light on them they just won't speak well either. General long tones though these have been the best orchestral strings for my bright bass. Hopefully with a little more time and experience these will work a little better under my bow.

Ken Smith
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
My only real problem with the EPs sometimes is that they have a narrow band in which you can control them and get a good sound. I kept thinking with these big strings I needed to hit them harder, and that is just not good (lots of attach sound no tone), but on the same time if I am to light on them they just won't speak well either. General long tones though these have been the best orchestral strings for my bright bass. Hopefully with a little more time and experience these will work a little better under my bow.

Well, like I have said in the past, some Basses like some strings and some don't. I don't know your Bass so I can't comment or make suggestions at this point. In my case, I put them on a Bass that seems to be very 'string sensitive'. Sometimes I put a set on different than what I've used and the Bass improves and sometimes I put a new set on and wish I never bought the bass. It's that different with my Gilkes. Also, other players like different strings than me on the same Basses tested so what does that mean?

How do you like your steak cooked? Ah, I don't eat red meat. Ok, how do you want your chicken cooked? Ahh, I don't eat animal products..

You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

Tomorrow I take the Gilkes to a rehearsal and will see just how well these new strings work. We are playing various things so I will be using the entire range of the Bass including most of the notes on the C-Ext.

Arnold Schnitzer
09-11-2007, 07:03 PM
They were actually a little stiffer than I expected.... soft feel

Huh? Which is it, Island man? :confused:

Marcus Johnson
09-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Yes.:p

I guess that didn't come out right. Hard to describe. They aren't flabby feeling like obligatos can be, but they do feel ... what's the word?.... compliant, maybe? I dunno.

They seem to respond well to a relatively light pizz attack. I get a nice sound out of them with a relaxed, one-finger pizz. Not much effort, lots of sound. There's a really nice definition to the front of the note, and then a nice bloom afterwards. Your bass seems to like them, BTW... but then, that bass has sounded great with every string I've ever put on it. These strings have maybe the best balance across the whole range that I've tried so far.

Ken Smith
09-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Ok, I used the Gilkes and new EPs last night. I like them! They bow smooth, sound deep, sounds loud, warm plush pizz sound and very easy to play.

It's my new favorite string. ;)

Marcus Johnson
09-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I think I can safely say that it's my new favorite as well at this point.

Marcus Johnson
09-15-2007, 01:34 PM
I was thinking about this some more as I was playing these strings on the bandstand (god forbid I should actually be thinking about the music :o).... on my bass, they feel quite soft and comfortable under my left hand, while under my right, they feel a bit stiffer and very precise. I don't remember having that impression from any other string, and it's pretty subtle. It works out well for me, because I can dig in with the right hand as much as I want, while left is pretty much free to explore without a whole lot of tension.

Still hard to explain, obviously. The arco tone is glorious.

Arnold Schnitzer
09-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I received a set the other day and put them on a mint 1960s Juzek. My impressions so far are mixed. The feel is a bit stiff to me and the pizz tone is on the dry side. Arco response is so-so. I like the arco tone. I'm kind of scratching my head so far, not sure if I like them or not. They seem to me like darker-sounding Dominants, but not quite that stiff.

Ken Smith
09-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I received a set the other day and put them on a mint 1960s Juzek. My impressions so far are mixed. The feel is a bit stiff to me and the pizz tone is on the dry side. Arco response is so-so. I like the arco tone. I'm kind of scratching my head so far, not sure if I like them or not. They seem to me like darker-sounding Dominants, but not quite that stiff.

Arnold, trying a new set on a factory made Bass may not be the best way to test them. I think if you pick a high quality handmade Bass that you know, judging the results will tell you more about about the string that you can tell from a German Shop Bass. True, there are 1000's of these Basses in the world but I think only a smaller percentage of them used for bowing.

AT least we know it may not be the best string for that type of Bass. I put them on my Gilkes which is a Bass you did a long and fine restoration on. I must say the Bass has never sounded or played better and I have used several types of strings in the search both before and after the restoration.

The Pizz on the Gilkes for either Jazz or Bowing is about the best it has ever been. The Gilkes sounds noticeably louder than I have ever heard it. It has always bowed smooth so there was little room for improvement there. They do however remind me a bit of Oliv's which I have used on the Martini and some combo with G & D Oliv's on 2 other Basses. I think for me they Bow at least as good as any other great string. As a matter of fact, when bowing the G on the Gilkes if I move the Bow a bit sloppy, the string doesn't catch as well. With these new EPs, they catch even on bad strokes.

Each type of set out there has their own feel and design. The Basses themselves seem to decide which string it wants. When the 'sweet spot' is found string-wise, you will know it.

Arnold Schnitzer
09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
My understanding is that these strings are to be considered "hybrids". So I put them on a bass that is going to be used for both arco and pizz. This bass was recently upgraded by me with some regraduation, a new bass bar and a new neck. It's a good instrument. I'm going to let the strings break in for a while, and let some other people play it. I'll post my findings here. What I wrote above was simply my first impression.

Ken Smith
09-16-2007, 11:45 AM
My understanding is that these strings are to be considered "hybrids". So I put them on a bass that is going to be used for both arco and pizz. This bass was recently upgraded by me with some regraduation, a new bass bar and a new neck. It's a good instrument. I'm going to let the strings break in for a while, and let some other people play it. I'll post my findings here. What I wrote above was simply my first impression.

Thank's for pointing that out. I know you did some work but didn't know just how much. Again, for myself mainly, I can only tell how a String actually is in comparison by testing them on a Bass that I know. Of course just putting them an a Bass you can tell if they work well on that Bass or not but not really know how the fair with other strings on the same Bass. Sometimes I have switched strings 6 times over only to discover that the first set I had on was the best for that Bass to begin with within the same condition and set-up.

One other thing I want to point out is the usage intended for 'that' Bass. Only a few Basses I have owned works well for both Jazz or Classical with the same exact set of strings and set-up. My Gilkes and Cornerless Bass seem to do anything with a good set of strings on it. The Martini however is so dark on the bottom that for Jazz only I would want a brighter type jazz string.

Arnold Schnitzer
09-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Two other people played the Pirazzi's today. Consensus was that this set is a winner. They liked the pizz feel and tone, felt they could dig in and the bass responded with a lot of volume. I feel they are a little stiff for me but I'm liking them more as they break in. Arco is pretty good so far, not amazing. So far the best of the hybrid strings I think.

Ken Smith
09-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Two other people played the Pirazzi's today. Consensus was that this set is a winner. They liked the pizz feel and tone, felt they could dig in and the bass responded with a lot of volume. I feel they are a little stiff for me but I'm liking them more as they break in. Arco is pretty good so far, not amazing. So far the best of the hybrid strings I think.

Yes Arnold, the best Hybrid in my book as well. I think reg. Flexocors Bow better especially on the Lower strings and Oliv G & D on the uppers are about the best but for overall playing for Pizz, Jazz, Classical etc, they do it all very well.

If you need a single Bass to be flexible for both Bowing and Pizz, this is a string to check out.

The G-string has such a great Pizz sound that I have not heard since using Olivs and the A-string.. woah.. what a cannon..

Arnold Schnitzer
10-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I just want to add a little something I learned about these strings yesterday. The open strings vibrate with a huge excursion when played aggressively (pizz). I can make the open E and A hit the adjacent string if I fire them hard. I dressed the fingerboard on this particular bass with a good amount of camber, but the potential for rattle is still there. I see this as the opposite side of the coin from their ability to play loud and punchy.

Ken Smith
10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
I just want to add a little something I learned about these strings yesterday. The open strings vibrate with a huge excursion when played aggressively (pizz). I can make the open E and A hit the adjacent string if I fire them hard. I dressed the fingerboard on this particular bass with a good amount of camber, but the potential for rattle is still there. I see this as the opposite side of the coin from their ability to play loud and punchy.

Maybe a Gut-type set-up FB-wise for EP hard hitters, aye?

Mark Mazurek
10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
My bass likes these string a LOT.
It really does make me want to keep playing.

I had a problem on the E string when playing low F# through A (on both Spiro Weichs, Mittels, and Obligatos). It was like those notes had a wet towel over them. I think maybe the slightly higher tension has helped with this.

I can't get the E or A to rattle (without pulling it like I'm shooting an arrow). My string length is right at 42", if that helps. And I'm at 7-8 mm off the fingerboard (at the end) with the E string (6 mm on the G).

I can make the G string rattle with strong bowing, but I'm sure that's a technique issue. It would happen on any of the three sets of strings when bowing it like it was the E or A string. (I assume that the G would always require a slightly lighter touch)

Brian Glassman
10-04-2007, 12:27 AM
.... on my bass, they feel quite soft and comfortable under my left hand, while under my right, they feel a bit stiffer and very precise. I don't remember having that impression from any other string, and it's pretty subtle. It works out well for me, because I can dig in with the right hand as much as I want, while left is pretty much free to explore without a whole lot of tension.

Still hard to explain, obviously. The arco tone is glorious.

+1

Just got my early 20th cent. German bass back up to NJ from Miami. I decided to put my new set of EP's on that rather than the Prescott.
The German is brighter and is more in need of a louder, darker string. The already dark and lush Prescott does fine w/ Spriro Mittels w/ a Superflex G. The brighter strings counterbalance its darker sound. The rusult is robust, but clear, to-die-for pizz sound. But I do long for easier bowing lower strings.

Just put the EP's on the German taking off newish Flatchromsteels that I was experimenting with.

First impressions: Piz; Deffinately thicker, darker, 'ropier' w/ more 'thunk' and less metallic 'splank' to the start of the notes. Nice warm G sound. Less pingy than Spiros or FC's. Nicely balanced set. Definately makes this bass louder. I can see what you guys mean about the E needing to break in. There's some growl down there, but not like Spiros.
Maybe a little more work than the FC's, but I'm enjoying the volume. Could be just what the Dr. ordered for this bass.
These are my first sythetic core string of any kind and they do seem to be stretching out over this first day and getting growlier and louder when I bring them back up to pitch.

Arco; seems pretty outstanding. All the strings including the lower ones get started pretty easily. More robust and pleasantly darker than FC's. Can't help wondering what they would feel like under the bow on the Prescott.
More later.

BG __________________
-Straight ahead and strive for tone

Dan Tice
01-23-2008, 03:19 AM
Hey Brian,

Just wondering if you're still using the EP's. If so, how is the arco holding up now that they have some time put into them?

Thanks!

Dan

Eric Hochberg
01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
:) I've been using them for a couple of months now, but split between two basses. The E and A on my '55 Juzek are wonderful, especially under the bow. The fullest, loudest sound I have heard on this bass and I've been playing it for 30 years. I think I prefer Spiro Mittels for jazz pizz for a little more sizzle, but these work well. I have Obligato D and G on this bass and the combination is fine together. It seems that the Obli D and G are louder now, too.

On my other, older, German bass with a darker sound, I have the EP G in combo with Weichs and am very happy. More meat under my finger, less twang and darker sounding with the bow on the G string. This bass seems to like less tension, hence the Weichs.

Steve Alcott
08-29-2008, 01:38 AM
NS LaScala, EPs, very satisfied both pizz and arco.

Richard Prowse
01-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I put a set of EPs on just under a week ago and they keep stretching (going flat). Is this normal? How long do they take to settle?

Richard Prowse
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I put a set of EPs on just under a week ago and they keep stretching (going flat). Is this normal? How long do they take to settle?
They're settling - good pizz sound. I just put my Belcanto set back on.

Ken Smith
01-27-2009, 01:29 AM

Please tell us how the EVs compare to the Bel's.

They are both each company's new 'wonder' string. What say you?

I have used them both but not on the same bass.

Richard Prowse
01-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Please tell us how the EVs compare to the Bel's.

They are both each company's new 'wonder' string. What say you?

I have used them both but not on the same bass.
Ken, my friend, the EVs were thick with a gut-ish sound. The pizz sound was big and strong, and I really liked it. They were 'harder' to bow and, with my German bow, it was tougher to get the E string to sound. They spent the week stretching. If they were the only strings on a desert island and I was shipwrecked, I'd be very happy to play them. My bass is new (about 6 years old) and I doubt if it has been bowed much. The EVs seemed to accenturate the strengths (and weaknesses) of different registers. The BCs are similar to Weichs, IMO (that's 'computer speak' for 'in my opinion') but very nice under the bow. I like how they speak so easily on the E and A strings. Surprisingly, on this new bass, they still have a tendency to 'squeak' once in a while. I spent a short period (a few weeks) trying to learn to sing (vocally) and this is the sound I'd like to get with my arco playing (not my voice, something nicer). I think that I get a nice singing sound with the BCs. I'll have to live with their slightly lesser pizz quality but, hey, I've got Weichs on my German plywood!

Anselm Hauke
01-27-2009, 06:07 AM

????
imho you should give the pirazzis some weeks to develop before judging

Richard Prowse
01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
????
imho you should give the pirazzis some weeks to develop before judging
IMEMHO (in my even more humble opinion),
I'm sure you're right. I'll give them another run some time down the track. Right now I just want a nice bowing sound.

My daughter is staying and, while practising yesterday, I casually asked her,
"What do you think of the sound of the bass?" I'd just put the BCs on.
"It sounds like a bass." she replied.

Many years ago I wrote a tune for my daughter. I was practising it one winter morning when she got up and came and sat by the heater. I told her I'd written what I was playing for her.
She said,
"One of these mornings, if you don't shut up, someone's going to break that bass!"

I suspect that both strings would work fine for my daughter.

Richard Prowse
01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Just back from an old friend's place. He has a Christopher 600 (7/8) strung with EPs and I have a Christopher 500 (3/4) strung with BCs. Both basses seemed similar volume and sound wise, I suspect that the 600 (7/8) had a slightly bigger sound, but its action was higher and there really wasn't much in it. Both basses sounded good to us and we had a fun afternoon comparing notes about different strings we'd tried and gigs we'd done.
So, two very similar basses - which strings were better?
IMHO (in my humble opinion) the EPs had a bigger, very appealing sound and the BCs had a very beautiful 'lighter' singing sound. It was like comparing Beethoven and Mozart, a lovely sunset and a spectacular sunrise, a great lunch with friends and a wonderful night out, your best friend and your lover. Both strings were winners today.

Richard Prowse
01-31-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm about to put my EPs back on - I'm missing their pizz sound. The BCs whine a bit much the way my bass is set... it's not set low, just medium.

Richard Prowse
02-13-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm about to put my EPs back on - I'm missing their pizz sound. The BCs whine a bit much the way my bass is set... it's not set low, just medium.
Tonight I put the Weichs back on that came with the bass and they feel pretty damn good! The BCs were sweet, the EPs had a lovely strong pizz sound. The Weichs do it all!

Ken Smith
02-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Tonight I put the Weichs back on that came with the bass and they feel pretty damn good! The BCs were sweet, the EPs had a lovely strong pizz sound. The Weichs do it all!

The Weichs do it all? You mean they Bow as good as the EPs? Not in my experience and nor to they sound as fat or project as well either in my world.

Richard Prowse
02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
The Weichs do it all? You mean they Bow as good as the EPs? Not in my experience and nor to they sound as fat or project as well either in my world.
I put the EPs on for a while and then I put the BCs back on. I went to a friend's place who had EPs on a similar bass (same maker) and we compared them. I thought that the BCs had a nicer bowing sound but the EPs have a nice big strong pizz sound. I don't like the BC pizz feel (a bit too gentle under the fingers) so I put the EPs back on. I gave them a good go for about three weeks. I found I had to use a lot of rosin to make them speak (well, more than I generally use, which is about four down bows every day or two - I practise for 1 to 2 hours per day on average... sometimes less). They're big fat strings and were harder to play at the top of the board. One day I picked up my old plywood that has Weichs on. Obviously this bass can't match the new bass for sound but it was a pleasure to bow the old Weichs. I put the Weichs, that were on the new bass when I got it, back on. It had been sitting in a shop for a while (about 5 years) and hadn't been played much but the Weichs had certainly settled quite a bit. The bass felt good and the sound seemed to match those of the EPs - I played it for a while with two EPs and two Weichs on. I eventually put the BC E back on so that I could have an easy bow on the lowest notes. I'm practising a lot of bowing and I'm enjoying the sound that the 3 Weichs are giving and, of course, their reliable pizz sound. I guess the EPs and the BCs haven't lived up to all the hype for me. I've listened hard to all these strings - I'm really fussy about how my bass sounds. I've been known to change my mind, but I think that the Weichs will be staying put. People often disagree with me about the bow-ability of Weichs. I went to a clinic once (in Palmerston North) and some yankee bassist called Tom Warrington (who was playing at the clinic) rubbished what I said, which was basically that Weichs were not hard to bow (I know you have to be careful not to make them scratchy). Well, I've bowed Weichs on quite a lot of different basses but no one wanted to listen to me at that clinic. It still bugs me a bit how no one would listen. All I can say is that I'd happily put my money where my mouth is and have a 'bow off' with anyone. Just bring your bass to Wainuiomata and face up to the Weich challenge.

Richard Prowse
02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
The Weichs (with a E BC) are sounding great. I gave the EPs to my brother. I played solo the other night in a blackboard concert (90% arco). It was great to have the Weichs on board.

Ken Smith
02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
The Weichs (with a E BC) are sounding great. I gave the EPs to my brother. I played solo the other night in a blackboard concert (90% arco). It was great to have the Weichs on board.

I hope your brother plays classical DB. These are one of the top strings in Orchestras today. I know of several great players using them.

When they first came out I put a set on my Gilkes and the bass shortly after went out on sale trial. The customer put Flex 92s on the G&D because he said they rang more. I thought the Evah's were just fine top to bottom and that is with the Ext E/C. I did Beeth. 6th on that fingering all the separate 16ths in the Storm. The Bass sounded just great.

The Gilkes fell out of my rotation when the Hart came in from restoration and also using the Martini as well after a restoration on that. Today I was playing some of the Basses when my son pointed out that I play better on the Gilkes. His observation was that me and the Gilkes work best than me with the Hart or Martini and I had been playing mainly the Martini the last few weeks.

Well, I had some old Orig. Flexs on the Gilkes that I put on to try a while back and althought they worked ok, I never got used to the sound. The Ext.E/C was an old Eudoxa FlatChrome (now called Orig. FlatChr.). A few weeks ago I bought some strings to have for my Basses here in the shop and got a set of the Evah's once again. I just put them on the Gilkes and the Bass seems louder and deeper off the bat. Not smoother and not less smooth than the Flexs but just different.

So Richard, you just gave away a great set of strings.

Richard Prowse
03-01-2009, 02:03 AM
So Richard, you just gave away a great set of strings.
Ah well, that's what brothers are for!
He helped me get my hands on a great bow that make my Weichs sound so good.

Calvin Marks
03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I was curious about these strings so I decided to e-mail Pirastro. They contacted me the next day and offered me a FREE set...I didn't even ask for one, but that's incredible!!!

Martin Sheridan
03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm deleting this to start a new thread re: solo string set for less tension. See new thread. Thank you.

Calvin Marks
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Pirastro just sent me Evah Weichs and Orchestra's to try out for free. Does anyone know the gauge of the Weichs?

Thanks

Richard Prowse
05-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I emailed Pirastro to ask how the Weichs would compare with Bel Canti.
They reply:
" What we can say is that the string tension of the double bass Evah Pirazzi "Weich" strings is a bit lower compared to the Belcanto strings."
Sounds too low for me, considering the Bel Canti on my bass have a little less tension that the Spiro Weichs. Think I'll stay with the Bel Canti.

Ken Smith
05-09-2009, 01:10 AM
So, what are these Evah Weichs really like as a Hybrid String? For me, Hybrid means I can play full Orchestra or full Jazz with the same set of strings on the same Bass. Add to that using the same set-up as well including string height being the same either way. One exception might be using a Pickup & Amp for Jazz.

Well, I put them first on my Big English Bass (aka Gamba Supreme (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/MysteryBass/name_that_bass2.htm) or 'Big Ben' as it's known to a few, lol) and did just one Orchestra rehearsal with it. This was not the fault of the String. The Neck was too thick and the Heel to high, post-restoration. The Bass was slated for a C-Ext. anyway so I removed the Strings to try on another Bass because the Weichs don't have an E/C currently.

I put them next on my Mougenot (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/Vuillaume/Vuillaume.html) which has quite a bit of Camber in the Neck and Fingerboard which will get corrected once it goes into restoration in the future. Why did I put them on a bass that needs work done? Well, one of my Gigs is a Show with a small B'way type Orchestra (25-30 pcs?), no Amp and we have about 10-12 services to perform. I needed a fairly big Bass to cut thru and this one fits the bill. The other reason is that the Weichs have lower tension and with the Camber of this Neck/Fingerboard being way more than 'my' personal norm, the string itself makes it possible to use the Bass. I also had a Combo Gig with Amp to use this set-up on and it worked out just fine. I have a Symphony Gig this week but doing some Ellington & Gershwin. I have all the Jazz parts to play being principal but some of them are Orchestral. I am using an Amp on most of the Concert.

They Pizz great on this Bass with or without an Amp and Jazz pizz or Orchestral pizz. They also Bow fine as well with or without the Amp as it's called for in the venue.

The Mougenot being in some state of disrepair as well as having Neck issues actually works quite well with these Evah Weichs despite its condition.

These Strings actually made me like the Bass better which before I would not even take it out. Now I feel that the Bass could easily be my Hybrid Instrument down the road as it sure has proven itself these past few weeks and gave me confidence to use it for all of this months work.

The Evah Weichs in my book are a great string. I think I like them better then the regular Evah's. The only way to really know is to try them both on the same exact bass. Calvin?

Calvin Marks
05-23-2009, 02:16 PM
The Evah Weichs in my book are a great string. I think I like them better then the regular Evah's. The only way to really know is to try them both on the same exact bass. Calvin?

Ken, do you know the gauge for Evah Weichs?

Thanks
-Calvin

Ken Smith
05-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Ken, do you know the gauge for Evah Weichs?

Thanks
-Calvin

You said you had a set there, no? Measure them. That's what I will have to do so just get a caliper and measure them. Simple enough.

The gauge is 'nice'. They feel fine under the fingers so I've had no need to mic them.

If there is a problem of something seems off then maybe I would check the gauges but.. what am I looking for? What good will that do? Only if I felt there was a problem would I bother to measure them. Currently they are on a bass that has gone into repair so I can't get to them to mic them.

Marcus Johnson
06-15-2009, 01:38 PM
The Evah Weichs in my book are a great string. I think I like them better then the regular Evah's. The only way to really know is to try them both on the same exact bass.

Ken, I had the Regular, and then the Weichs Evahs on my bass in succession. I really liked the Regulars a lot... but the Weichs have just been better for my purposes in every respect. They have more sustain on my bass, and the sound just seems more open. They feel just great... the regulars used to tire me out a bit on long days of playing, but I can go 24-7 on the Weichs. I feel that they are my "default" string now... I really can't ask for anything more, especially at the price.

Ken Smith
06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Ken, I had the Regular, and then the Weichs Evahs on my bass in succession. I really liked the Regulars a lot... but the Weichs have just been better for my purposes in every respect. They have more sustain on my bass, and the sound just seems more open. They feel just great... the regulars used to tire me out a bit on long days of playing, but I can go 24-7 on the Weichs. I feel that they are my "default" string now... I really can't ask for anything more, especially at the price.

In my opinion, the difference is mainly the tension. I think the Bass is effected the most which in return effects the player. Each bass has it's own 'sweet spot' and that's why we string them differently. Brand, gauge, material, etc. The Bass is happy when it's happy. No one string is best for all basses or all players.

I love the soft feel of the regular Evah's on my big Gamba as much as I did the Weichs. The regular Evah's felt heavier on my Gilkes (Jilkes), the exact same set. Now that they are on the Big Gamba, I can't see much difference either way from the Weichs that were on there before the Extension was made. The Top is very strong and the bass very responsive. At the time, the bass did not have an extension so I put the Weichs on. Now they make a Weich E/C but I already have the regulars on so that's how it will stay for now.

Maybe now that the bass has been played a bit and the Weichs have an E/C, next time I buy strings for it I will try the Weichs again. That's if I still have the bass. It was the 'hot one' at the ISB.

Srikanth Narayanan
05-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Do people here still have the love affair with Evah Pirazzi regulars going? Or is this string is sooo 2009?

Ken Smith
06-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Do people here still have the love affair with Evah Pirazzi regulars going? Or is this string is sooo 2009?

The string is still good and I still buy them as I need. It really depends on the player, Orchestra, Jazz, etc. and what they like on their bass. Not all basses work as well with the same strings.

I have Evah regulars on my Sirleto now and they sound great so when I sell that bass, the strings might stay or go depending on the player and what he needs.

Most new strings make a big splash at first and then they go back to where they work best. Many people go back to the strings they liked on their bass before unless they were not happy to begin with and might need a change.

They are good strings and based on what you have heard or read, they are worth a try if you think they meet your requirements.

Eduardo Barbosa
06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Guys, quick question for those who have tried soft and regular gauge.

Is the difference in gauge, Feel, thickness, really noticeable between both gauges?

I ask because I think my bass likes lighter gauges strings. It responds more openly, but I am wondering if it's worth the investment.
I have tried many strings, I do like these strings a lot. So I am not looking for any other brand, etc. I guess, the question is will my bass like them even more?

thank you.

Ken Smith
06-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Guys, quick question for those who have tried soft and regular gauge.

Is the difference in gauge, Feel, thickness, really noticeable between both gauges?

I ask because I think my bass likes lighter gauges strings. It responds more openly, but I am wondering if it's worth the investment.
I have tried many strings, I do like these strings a lot. So I am not looking for any other brand, etc. I guess, the question is will my bass like them even more?

thank you.

The Weich gauge is lighter/less tension than the regular gauge. For pizz, you have to play them lighter or put them on a bass that the regulars feel too tight on.