PDA

View Full Version : Played a beautiful WT with a little extra neck relief

Michael McNally
08-11-2018, 05:24 PM
How well do the neck-thru models bounce back from not being cared for in a music store for a few years? I swear it was the only thing holding me back from walking out the store with it.

Ken Smith
08-12-2018, 12:23 PM
How well do the neck-thru models bounce back from not being cared for in a music store for a few years? I swear it was the only thing holding me back from walking out the store with it.

Hard to say. It's not a bounce. It is care and adjustment. If wood molecules are stretched, then that is what it is. Only adjustments can keep it playable.

Michael McNally
08-12-2018, 04:06 PM
I guess the logical course of action would be to ask them to do a setup and see what's what.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ken Smith
08-12-2018, 05:32 PM
I guess the logical course of action would be to ask them to do a setup and see what's what.

Thanks for the quick reply!

That is assuming they know what they are doing as far as working on a Smith bass.

Michael McNally
08-12-2018, 08:13 PM
That is assuming they know what they are doing as far as working on a Smith bass.

Yeah, not too sure on that I'm afraid, they had two of your basses right alongside a few PRS basses, not sure if they thought you were the same guy or something. :p

If I recall correctly, the relief was maybe 1/8" - 3/16" tops when I depressed the B at 1st and last frets. Do you think that's bad?

Ken Smith
08-12-2018, 08:52 PM
Yeah, not too sure on that I'm afraid, they had two of your basses right alongside a few PRS basses, not sure if they thought you were the same guy or something. :p

If I recall correctly, the relief was maybe 1/8" - 3/16" tops when I depressed the B at 1st and last frets. Do you think that's bad?

Press 1st and 15th or 17th fret as the end is flat. I like about a G or D string width of relief, not a B string width of space. Way too much.